NuForce/Ultrasone UF-30 info?...
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #61 of 68
This turn in the thread got me to haul down my Ksc75s, which I also Kramer modded (to an extreme, since I simply removed the plastic driver cover completely, rather than drilling tiny holes), but rather than a headband, I added Senn PX200 ear pads, which give the 75s a nice cupped ear pad in pleather. Plus the 75s only have like 5 hours on them.

But with the Amp3, not a bit of brightness or sibilance with the 75s (in fact, it sounds pretty darn good, almost creamy, not bright one bit), Can't say the same for the UF-30s, which do not match well at all on the Amp3. In fact, I may be selling the UF-30s after doing that comparison. I already have the SR80s and the 75s, so the UF-30s, after this last listening test, have become expendable. Not saying they are bad, but I have come across sibilance with them on several players, especially, as noted higher in this thread, when a track is not mastered well. In short, they are unforgiving, and I don't feel that serves my purposes.

Anyway, agree with Joe on this one.

Oh, and anyone looking to really improve the 75 sound, modded or not, try the Senn ear pads. I think I paid $13 for them on ebay. It's really amazing how the air between the phones and your ears, in a semi-closed situation, really boosts the already nice 75 sound sig. Photo below.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #62 of 68
Any way to change the pads on the UF-30. Sounds like some pleather would do well for them.

I bought a pair of JVC flats open box for $7.75 shipped pretty much just for the pads, but might as well get the phone as well.

Seeing how bright and treble oriented the Icon Mobile is, I'm surprised the UF-30 isn't more dark/warm.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #63 of 68
I also wondered about it, but it seems the cloth covering the UF-30 is tucked inside the plastic housing permanently, and I can't mess with it when and if I sell or return them. I just think the flat pad against the ears is a downside, relative to iso and maybe even SQ, not sure. I added a photo of my 75 pad mod in the previous post.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowpat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did yes, it was very informative. In fact, it was what convinced me to buy them in the end, so if i'm not impressed you know who's getting blamed..

i'll post up my thoughts when i've got some thoughts to post up

One thing I have found is that with some amps the UF-30 can be a little bright, but the head-direct HifiMan EF2 amp for example is perfect with them. Interestingly, the EF2 is one of the best amps for my UE11Pro customs as well, and those are not bright with other amps. For example, the UE11Pro are also very good with my opamp rolled iBasso D10, yet the UF-30 can be bright with that amp. Some phones just have good synergy with some amps (impedance, conductance and capacitance match well with the amp), and the character of the amp might change to suit those phones but not others.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I have found is that with some amps the UF-30 can be a little bright, but the head-direct HifiMan EF2 amp for example is perfect with them. Interestingly, the EF2 is one of the best amps for my UE11Pro customs as well, and those are not bright with other amps. For example, the UE11Pro are also very good with my opamp rolled iBasso D10, yet the UF-30 can be bright with that amp. Some phones just have good synergy with some amps (impedance, conductance and capacitance match well with the amp), and the character of the amp might change to suit those phones but not others.

i was planning on using them ampless with my Touch 2nd gen, do you think that'll provide a decent synergy? Also, when people above are talking about them being unforgiving to poorly mastered music, are we talking about overcompressed stuff or generally unpristine music? Because i really like a lot of lo-fi, distorted, noisy stuff as well, stuff which sounds great through MS-1s and KSC75s. I suppose i should've asked that before i bought them..

Also, anybody from Europe/UK have any experience of buying from Nuforce via Amazon? It's giving me an estimated delivery date of 27th July to 11th August, which is pretty ridiculous since i paid over the odds for the postage anyway. Hopefully it's an overestimate

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowpat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was planning on using them ampless with my Touch 2nd gen, do you think that'll provide a decent synergy? Also, when people above are talking about them being unforgiving to poorly mastered music, are we talking about overcompressed stuff or generally unpristine music? Because i really like a lot of lo-fi, distorted, noisy stuff as well, stuff which sounds great through MS-1s and KSC75s. I suppose i should've asked that before i bought them..

Also, anybody from Europe/UK have any experience of buying from Nuforce via Amazon? It's giving me an estimated delivery date of 27th July to 11th August, which is pretty ridiculous since i paid over the odds for the postage anyway. Hopefully it's an overestimate

They sound decent with the 2G Touch headphone out, but slightly bright/crisp - the bass is nice even without an amp. It reminds me of my 4G Nano, but I think the iPhone 3G and 3GS headphone out is the best with the UF-30 and others. (I also prefer the Nano 3G over the Nano 4G headphone out)

With the 2G Nano, using an LOD to feed a tiny iBasso T4 amp sounds better with UF-30 than the headphone out. But, I think I still prefer the iPhone 3G/3GS headphone out.

UF-30 is ruthless with over-compressed music, albums with gain hitting the brick wall, and poor recordings. With good recordings they are very good.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #68 of 68
Got mine today, and I just wanted to say I love them.

But, anyone who doesn't have an amp might want to be aware that these need a lot of volume to be near loud. My IA7 is sufficient, and my fuze with an e5 also works but with just the fuze it wouldn't get very loud at all. Just something to keep in mind. For me its not a deal breaker though, and I don't plan on buying an amp anytime soon. It still sounds great without an amp though, plenty of bass, detail, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back