NuForce/Ultrasone UF-30 info?...
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #46 of 68
Does anyone yet have a feel how these would compare to the Ultrasone HFI-15G? BTW I really didn't know how open these were until last night. I was sitting in bed watching some You-Tube videos and I thought for a moment the laptop's speaker was actually playing as the sound really seemed to be outside of the headphones. Not a complaint, just a way different experience than my other headphones.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #47 of 68
Well, a little update. They have like 35 hours on them now, and they are starting to fill out. Also, I hooked them up to the T4 and Clip, which improves their already airy sound, but as noted in HPAddict's review, they are very unforgiving with lower quality rips and production tracks, especially the latter. Some of the older music I tested sounded rough. So even those these phones are inexpensive, they need a pretty high quality source.

If you got these for $63, they are a good value. And even at $79, they are worth it if you feed them with high production tracks, especially jazz, acoustic, etc. I didn't find them as engaging, for example, on some old Tom Petty tracks or Rolling Stones tracks. But not horrible, just not as clean, clear and airy as on more acoustic-based music.

I still on balance prefer the Grado SR-80s (tape modded), but it's gotten a little closer.

I tried both the NE-7M and the Icon Mobile, and sold both (the former just didn't feel comfy and was too bass heavy for me, and the latter could not compete with the T4 and I don't use a DAC). Not sure what I will do with the UF-30s, but I life them more than the other two NuForce products.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a little update. They have like 35 hours on them now, and they are really starting to fill out. Also, I hooked them up to the T4 and Clip, which improves their already airy sound, but as noted in HPAddict's recview, they are very unforgiving with lower quality rips and production tracks, especially the latter. Some of the older music I tested sounded rough. So even those these phones are inexpensive, they need a pretty high quality source.

I haven't had much ear time on these (have been burning them in at a very loud level almost continuously), but when I have listened, they do sound very good, airy and detailed. I agree that lower quality tracks and mastering sounds kinda bad, but those tracks sound kinda bad with all my headphones! But I have only tried these via my Fuze -> LOD -> E5 and my Prodigy, not DAP direct.

Anyways, I don't think these can best my IE8 for presentation, but I really haven't had a chance to compare the 2 head to head. I will say there is no isolation at all for me.

I do like them and think they are keepers and am looking forward to hearing them when I have time and after more burn in.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #49 of 68
As I noted too, these are only for use in quiet environments. No iso at all. I can't even use them to wash the dishes (I know you are also a headphone/dishwashing husband). But if you need to hear the phone, they are very good at home. I won't be using them much outside. Maybe at the beach, so I can still hear the waves.

Some of my phones have not been as sensitive with poor recordings or lower bitrates. For example, the X10s don't reveal flaws as much (which can be a blessing, of course).

Hard to believe the UF30s will compete with the Senns. They are not on the same level as the Westones, but as we seem to agree, they are worth the money and offer an interesting alternative.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #50 of 68
I will have to take your word for the bitrate/forgiving thing as I replaced 90+% of my low bitrate music.

And as far as the iso, I get it, they are as bad or worse than the KSC75.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #51 of 68
My lowest bit rate is 192, but even 320s of bad recordings sound especially bad, but I guess that was the case with most of my other phones too. However, well mastered tracks at 192 sound fine.

Jul 5, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #52 of 68
If a track is mastered poorly it doesn't matter if it is lossless, it sounds bad.

And I am not sure about the IE8 vs. the UF-30, I haven't A/Bed the 2. I am pretty sure the IE8 has more pronounced bass and is more dynamic and transparent.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have to take your word for the bitrate/forgiving thing as I replaced 90+% of my low bitrate music.

And as far as the iso, I get it, they are as bad or worse than the KSC75.

In terms of iso, they are worse than the 75s because I replaced my stock pads with PX200 pleather "cups," a nice mod to my alread Kramer modded 75s. In fact, I took that inside plastic thing out altogether (rather than drill holes) because the pads keep your ears off the flat part of the pads.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #54 of 68
i'm really tempted by these, anybody want to convince me otherwise? All of my other portable headphones have crapped out over the past few weeks and i really need some to use at work - are they suitable for an office environment (since i don't like IEMs)? I know they don't have much isolation, but are we talking KSC-75 levels of leakage or full size Grado levels of leakage?

Any other thoughts on the matter? Do they compare favourably to other phones in this price range? I was also looking at the G2As and casting a sideways glance at the Zinos

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #55 of 68
We're talking Ksc75 iso, but leakage is not as bad because they are closed phones.

I can't compare to others, since these and the Grados are all I have. I did have the G2A, but the are like the Ksc75s re leakage (though an excellent value).

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowpat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm really tempted by these, anybody want to convince me otherwise? All of my other portable headphones have crapped out over the past few weeks and i really need some to use at work - are they suitable for an office environment (since i don't like IEMs)? I know they don't have much isolation, but are we talking KSC-75 levels of leakage or full size Grado levels of leakage?

Any other thoughts on the matter? Do they compare favourably to other phones in this price range? I was also looking at the G2As and casting a sideways glance at the Zinos

Did you see think in post #40 to my review and comparison?

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #57 of 68
I have had my KSC75 for 6 months or so, Kramer modded them and got a cheap headband. They have over 200 hours of burn in, but now just sit in a drawer. I received the UF-30 a week ago Thursday and have been burning it in almost continuously so they have about 200 hours of burn in.

KSC75 has a different sound sig, being warmer with less treble. The UF-30 has smoother mids, brighter highs, more detail, and a little bit better space. The bass seems similar, but the UF-30 is a little cleaner. The KSC's are a better value IMO as I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the UF-30 leaks a little more than the KSC75. The KSC75 is more efficient.

These comparisons were done with my sound card. I just got an AMP3 and I don't think the UF-30 pairs well with that as it is a bright player (it is not fully burned in, but how it sounds now) and gets sibilant at times.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UF-30 has smoother mids, brighter highs, more detail, and a little bit better space. The bass seems similar, but the UF-30 is a little cleaner.

^ From that description I'd say the UF-30 are better!
atsmile.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see think in post #40 to my review and comparison?

I did yes, it was very informative. In fact, it was what convinced me to buy them in the end, so if i'm not impressed you know who's getting blamed..

i'll post up my thoughts when i've got some thoughts to post up

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ From that description I'd say the UF-30 are better!
atsmile.gif

I think it comes down to personal preference as the warmer sound of the KSC75 just does something for me. If the UF-30 was warm like the KSC75, IMO it wouldn't be close. Also, I can't pair the UF-30 with my AMP3 due to sibilance, which is a little disappointing. Just my .02!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back