NuForce/Ultrasone UF-30 info?...
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 68
So I took a flyer and picked up a pair. If I don't like them for any reason, I'll sell them to a friend or on the FS forum. They look kind of cool, but doubt they will outperform my SR-80s. We shall see.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 68
In looking at the specs on Amazon.com for both the Ultrasone and Nuforce they look a bit differerent. Freq. response differs. Zino 24-25,000 KHz vs. Nuforce 20-20,00Khz. Zino driver 40mm vs. UF-30 at 30mm. No ULE or MU on the Nuforce.

Should I be just holding out for the Zino?

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #36 of 68
Mine just arrived, and out of the box, very nice. But a little too much bass (using Touch). I also noticed hard to drive with Touch, nearly at max volume. Not as bad with the Zune. Odd. I am going to let them burn in for a few days, maybe 50 hours, and check back. Very comfy, nice design/build.

So far, so good.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuforce UF-30

They look exactly like the Zino, only in cheap colors. Even the pouch looks the same.
tongue_smile.gif

Only difference: "Ultrasone® designed 30mm moving coil" instead of the 40 mm of the Zino. The iCans were also 30 mm, I think.

Anyway, I just got a mail I'll be receiving my Zino tomorrow!
atsmile.gif

On my wedding!
atsmile.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On my wedding!
atsmile.gif

Congrats!
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #39 of 68
Got mine in today. Listening now. I like the open sound. I'm getting plenty of vol. out of my iPhone 3Gs (for me), but of course the Total Bithead works well with them. Of course I'll be sharing whatever i'm listening to if anyone is in close proximity
wink.gif

Not sure if the Senn. 228 might have been a better physical fit for me. I'll update when I get more time with them.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be posting a review very soon - it is mostly done after 300 hours of burn-in (don't ask)...
tongue.gif

\Wow! I already feel the WOW effect right now
smily_headphones1.gif
. .You already have it for more than 10 days!!??
smily_headphones1.gif
. Looking forward for your review and others too
smily_headphones1.gif

My assumption, Nuforce has gave you a review unit. Isn't it ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 68
Brief review (very brief).

My first experience with an Ultrasone-based phone, and I like the sound, very reverb-like, solid, balanced. Some harshness on certain tracks (could be the original rips or production), but nothing too grating (and it could be that they need more burn-in). I also tried the phones with my Zune, but decided the treble also was a little harsh on some tracks, and the bass was a bit overpowering (moreso than on the Sony with normal EQ).

So back on the desktop for more burn-in (only at 15 hours right now). But I do like them.

Of course, the UL-30s are certainly designed as portable phones, much like the PX100s or Ksc75s. And just as is the case with those phones, these phones do not work if even a tiny bit of isolation is desired (though they are better than the clips on the Ksc75s, for sure). I used them on my usual early morning dog walk today, and the sounds of the city were almost as dominant as the tracks playing on the Sony.

Not a shock, of course. But to me, these have limited use in open air situations (on the beach, in a peaceful setting), and are mainly a nice inexpensive on-ear phone for sitting around at home or in quiet places.

And while this comparison may not be fair, since my Grados have 8 years of burn-in, the SR-80s (tape modded bowl pads) are preferred sound sig-wise. I just really like the Grado sound over the UL-30 sound as it stands, even though the UL-30s have a more expansive soundstage. The Grado SR80 clarity, instrument separation and treble are just superior to my ears (and preferences). Now, I am nowhere near the 300-hour burn-in mark, so I am going to give the UL-30s more time on the PC to see if they keep improving.

Especially at the intro price (deal no longer available, I believe), these are very nice inexpensive phones. I would not choose them as my travel phones due to the lack of isolation. They are comfy, and the headband seems nice and sturdy. They also have a straight plug, and I favor he L-shaped plug. I do favor them over the Yuin G2A, from what I remember, but they can't compete with the G1A in my view.

I haven't tried hooking them up to the T4, so not sure how they will respond to an amp, but I have a feeling they will improve.

For now, at 15 hours, a good purchase on balance, and I would recommend them for someone looking for this type of phone over the Ksc75s or PX100s (this is from distant memory of the latter).

I also wonder if the pads are removable (haven't tried to mess with them), because maybe they could be "quarter modded" much like the Grado SR60 pads or the Ksc75s. With some gentle tugging, the pads seem to be permanently attached, which also could be a problem if you want to replace them should they start to wear out.

Changing or modding pads has changed sound on some phones, so I am just curious if the UL-30 has the same potential.

Have to check with NuForce on it.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brief review (very brief).

My first experience with an Ultrasone phone, and I like the sound, very reverb-like, solid, balanced. Some harshness on certain tracks, but nothing too grating (and it could be that they need more burn-in). I also tried the phones with my Zune, but decided the treble also was a little harsh on some tracks, and the bass was a bit overpowering (moreso than on the Sony with normal EQ).

So back on the desktop for more burn-in (only at 15 hours right now). But I like them.

Of course, the UL-30s are certainly designed as portable phones, much like the PX100s or Ksc75s. And just as is the case with those phones, these phones do not work if even a tiny bit of isolation is desired (though they are better than the clips on the Ksc75s, for sure). I used them on my usual early morning dog walk today, and the sounds of the city were almost as dominant as the tracks playing on the Sony.

Not a shock, of course. But to me, these have limited use in open air situations (on the beach, in a peaceful setting), and are mainly a nice inexpensive on-ear phone for sitting around at home or in quiet places.

Agreed. These are for when you want to hear music and not block out the sound around you. My ESW10JPN are like that, except I don't take them out because I don't want to scratch the beautiful wood finish.

And while this comparison may not be fair, since my Grados have 8 years of burn-in, the SR-80s (tape modded bowl pads) are much preferred sound sig-wise. I just really like the Grado sound over the UL-30 sound as it stands. The clarity, instrument separation and treble are just superior in my view. Now, I am nowhere near the 300-hour burn-in mark, so I am going to give the UL-30s more time on the PC to see if they keep improving.

Agreed, they need a good bit of burn-in, as I found in my review. Until I had 200-300 hours on them they were on the level of my KSC35 or SR-60 except for the better soundstage. Now they are closer to the level of my MS-1 except for the bigger soundstage, which makes the UF-30 a better choice for my live jazz and classical recordings and the MS-1 better for rock.

Especially at the intro price (deal no longer available, I believe), these are very nice inexpensive phones. I would not choose them as my travel phones due to the lack of isolation. They are comfy, and the headband seems nice and sturdy. They also have a straight plug, and I favor he L-shaped plug. I do favor them over the Yuin G2A, from what I remember, but they can't compete with the G1A in my view.

Yes, better than my G2 as well. Don't have a G1 to try.

I haven't tried hooking them up to the T4, so not sure how they will respond to an amp, but I have a feeling they will improve.

They respond very well to amping, and the T4 is a good match. I listed other amps and their synergy in my review.

For now, at 15 hours, a good purchase on balance.

I also wonder if the pads are removable (haven't tried to mess with them), because maybe they could be "quarter modded" much like the Grado SR60 pads or the Ksc75s. With some gentle tugging, the pads seem to be permanently attached, which also could be a problem if you want to replace them should they start to wear out.

Changing or modding pads has changed sound on some phones, so I am just curious if the UL-30 has the same potential.

Have to check with NuForce on it.

The pad material in the center is so thin that you can see through it, and I doubt cutting that out will improve things. I've actually thought about adding a second pad on top of the stock pad, and have some that will fit that I'll try later.

My review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5815768-post8.html

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #44 of 68
Thanks Larry. Read your review, and posted a link to mine on that thread. Very nice little phones. I think they are keepers, especially since I am far from the pivotal burn-in level. And again, your review swamps mine in detail, but I agree with your assessment (at least as much as I know to agree with).

Looking forward to using them with the T4 and Touch LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back