Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #272 of 454
Which should I get:

subguy812's used Primo 8 ($420) 
biggrin.gif

Westone 4R (used) for $300
UE 900 (used) for $300
Sony XBA-H3 (brand new) for $250

I'd imagine the Primo 8 would have the best sound quality, but when value/cost is taken into consideration, what do you guys think?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #274 of 454
  Which should I get:

subguy812's used Primo 8 ($420) 
biggrin.gif

Westone 4R (used) for $300
UE 900 (used) for $300
Sony XBA-H3 (brand new) for $250

I'd imagine the Primo 8 would have the best sound quality, but when value/cost is taken into consideration, what do you guys think?

Out of all in that list, I personally prefer the UE 900 out of the bunch.  It does have build issues unfortunately.  Regarding sound quality, they all are relatively around the same, rather, the deciding deal would be the signature.  

The Westone W4R is a warm, balanced signature with a strong bass presence and a fun twist to its sound.  Great vocals though the mid-bass may be a little too large and overly smooth things out.  Detailing is more laid back but there while the treble is soft in texture, though that spike at the 10 kHz may be problematic.  

The NuForce Primo 8 is more of a mid-focused IEM with a thinner sound to them.  The bass has an exceptionally fast decay which can result in thinner bass.  Texturing is extremely delicate with quick punches.  The midrange is what you'd imagine a Shure sounding like, sweet, sharp and detailed.  The treble can be a edgy at times and quite unforgiving, but offers great detailing, energy, and detailing.  

The Ultimate Ears UE 900 sits in-between.  It offers a bass response as linear as the Primo 8, but with a thicker overall sound.  The midrange has a slight hint of warmth to it as well in contrast to the Primo 8.  Like the NuForce, it can never really hit the lush and emotive vocal passages the W4 does stunningly.  Though the treble on the Primo 8 is a little stronger in detailing, the UE 900 isn't edgy.  

With your pricing above, with value and cost put into consideration, the W4R would be my suggestion (UE 900 has some build issues, check them on the used model before you but them).  However, at the end of the day, if you're looking for something that is brighter in nature with strong accuracy and a sweet midrange the Primo 8 is a great idea.  

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #275 of 454
If you like to crank up your tunes every so often tho steer clear of ue900. The distortion is really bad at high volume. It does have to be really high tho but i always felt i could crank it up another notch more than i should have and they just crumbled. Really annoying for the price.

Took them back in exchange for westone w40 and although the sound is brilliant at moderate volume the bass can get heavy at higher volume. It never distorts tho and ive pushed them wsy louder than ill ever need to but its comforting to know they stay in control. I would suggest this is because the housing and design is better than ue900 rather than better quality armatures but id be guessing.

The highs were a little better than the w40 as the latter can get a touch sibilant but when they are not being sibilant they are super clean but still edge towards the ue900 for highs. Everything else id say w40 are leaps ahead. Build,cables ( ue900 tangle way more ) fit is better. Overall sound is much more impressive if a little warm.

Anyway as good as ue900 sounds at moderate levels i feel most are good at moderate levels so they dont impress me. As far as the nuforce goes. Well... It looks great but i have read of a few issues witb design such as the ear guides are massive and the cable connector having issues so i just dont know

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #276 of 454
Tried it on Wednesday and sound stage is amazing if not using original earplug or comply earplug

So I called up the import agent and they have big sale for primo 8 now (price below USD399)

Gonna get Westone earplug to boost the bass.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #277 of 454
  Tried it on Wednesday and sound stage is amazing if not using original earplug or comply earplug

So I called up the import agent and they have big sale for primo 8 now (price below USD399)

Gonna get Westone earplug to boost the bass.

What import agent?

Sub's Primo 8 is on its way to me and the post office status has been "out for delivery" since 9am this morning. I'm right downtown and it shouldn't take this long to arrive... it's Friday before a long weekend so if I don't them today I won't have them until next Tuesday 
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #278 of 454
Just wanted to say Thanks! to everyone that's been a part of this conversation. 

I've read through the thread and ultimately used the information to get a pair of these and am happy to report that the Primo's are excellent. I officially received mine yesterday and they are primo indeed. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #279 of 454
Initial impressions:

- Despite their relatively low impedance, for some reason they sound like absolute crap out of the low impedance output of my D100, which I usually use for IEMs. I need to plug them into the high impedance output, which I use for harder to drive headphones like my HD600, in order for them to sound good. Unfortunately this is a problem because they are way too sensitive for the high impedance output - I need to turn down the volume in my software because even the lowest volume setting on the D100 is too loud. Volume is fine with the low impedance jack but everything sounds muddy, blurred, and distant.

- Incredible detail, speed, and soundstage. While the soundstage isn't very large, it's very full and imaging is very precise.

- Huge dynamics! Things just pop in and out with incredible impact. Definitely not a relaxed listen like the HD600.

- Bass is rather neutral in quantity but also very impactful, tight, and realistic. There's gobs of power behind every kick - carefully controlled but with infinite headroom.

- Mids aren't warm or lush, but sound very natural.

- Harshness at 7k is a bit painful with the stock silicone tips. The peak is lessened by the stock foam tips, but treble quantity also suffers. The silicone tips with 7k EQ'ed down sounds better. I'll need to look into some alternative tips.

- Could use a bit of extra sparkle in the treble, especially above 10k.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #280 of 454
I agree about needing alternative tips. It's more a question of comfort for me though.

Ive got a set of Star Tips coming in from Amazon. I'll report whether or not they make the Primos more comfortable to wear.

My last set of IEM's was a pair of Westones so I got used to the way those fit. The Primos are comfy but not quite there for me yet. I hope alternative tips help out because they sound great.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #281 of 454
I agree about needing alternative tips. It's more a question of comfort for me though.

Ive got a set of Star Tips coming in from Amazon. I'll report whether or not they make the Primos more comfortable to wear.

My last set of IEM's was a pair of Westones so I got used to the way those fit. The Primos are comfy but not quite there for me yet. I hope alternative tips help out because they sound great.

I don't mind the comfort of the stock tips - it's the 7k peak that bothers me. According to Rin a deeper fit will eliminate the peak, but I can't jam them into my ears any further lol.

I hope to find some tips that will do the trick. The harshness in that region is a deal breaker for me, which is a shame because the rest of it sounds so good.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #282 of 454
Sorry to hear about the harshness. I have noticed some sibilance in my pair, but to my hearing it's not a problem. 

If you come across some tips you recommend, post your findings. I'd like to try out a number of tips on the Primo.

I wanted to a pair of Spiral Dots but I couldn't find any sellers in North America. Boo. 

I'm picking up my Westone tips tomorrow morning and will be able to compare them to the stock tips. I hope they provide a marked difference.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #283 of 454
Question on these: are they really "mid-centric" or are they neutral and that leaves the listener with more mids than they're used to? I spent about an hour listening to these out of an LG G3 (not the BEST source, but best at the time) and there's something oddly alluring to them with my post-rock and metal, but I'm a little concerned about ever trying hip hop with them. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #284 of 454
  Question on these: are they really "mid-centric" or are they neutral and that leaves the listener with more mids than they're used to? I spent about an hour listening to these out of an LG G3 (not the BEST source, but best at the time) and there's something oddly alluring to them with my post-rock and metal, but I'm a little concerned about ever trying hip hop with them. 

They are mid-centric.  Treble actually rolls off, but has an edgy texture to it.  Bass could also be a tad bit more present and offer more depth.  

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #285 of 454

They are mid-centric.  Treble actually rolls off, but has an edgy texture to it.  Bass could also be a tad bit more present and offer more depth.  

Hm. Treble rolloff I'm fine with, it's more the low end that concerns me. I'm not looking for bassy, I have bassy, I kinda want to try something flatter but if it's recessed bass I'm out. I've heard tips can alter it but all Iv'e used are the Comply foams. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back