Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Sep 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #286 of 454

Hm. Treble rolloff I'm fine with, it's more the low end that concerns me. I'm not looking for bassy, I have bassy, I kinda want to try something flatter but if it's recessed bass I'm out. I've heard tips can alter it but all Iv'e used are the Comply foams. 

The bass response is dependent on the seal, as with all IEMs.  This one was a little finicky though :p  

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #287 of 454
Initial impressions:

- Despite their relatively low impedance, for some reason they sound like absolute crap out of the low impedance output of my D100, which I usually use for IEMs. I need to plug them into the high impedance output, which I use for harder to drive headphones like my HD600, in order for them to sound good. Unfortunately this is a problem because they are way too sensitive for the high impedance output - I need to turn down the volume in my software because even the lowest volume setting on the D100 is too loud. Volume is fine with the low impedance jack but everything sounds muddy, blurred, and distant.

- Incredible detail, speed, and soundstage. While the soundstage isn't very large, it's very full and imaging is very precise.

- Huge dynamics! Things just pop in and out with incredible impact. Definitely not a relaxed listen like the HD600.

- Bass is rather neutral in quantity but also very impactful, tight, and realistic. There's gobs of power behind every kick - carefully controlled but with infinite headroom.

- Mids aren't warm or lush, but sound very natural.

- Harshness at 7k is a bit painful with the stock silicone tips. The peak is lessened by the stock foam tips, but treble quantity also suffers. The silicone tips with 7k EQ'ed down sounds better. I'll need to look into some alternative tips.

- Could use a bit of extra sparkle in the treble, especially above 10k.

Nice impressions! They sound like something I would like actually, but just have no real need right now.

There's some confusion or misinformation or translation error, possibly from the manufacturer side for the D100, but from my and another head-fier's experience, there might be some sort of resistor in-line to reduce the output of the low jack (likely not present on the high jack) which likely actually increases the output impedance significantly changing the FR on IEMs with non-flat impedance curves and low input impedance.

Per Rins measurements:

elect.png

You'll note using Rins standard compensation that there is a reasonably significant drop off after 10k as you noted and the peak at 7k is only really a peak due to the adjacent dips, but nonetheless present as is. And that with 33+ ohm added impedance, you'll see a ~10dB drop off of pretty much everything above 2KHz.

But it's worth mentioning that a new compensation method that is gaining traction, Olive-Welti shows a slightly different story for the treble:

ow.png

Though I think that for IEMs this compensation shows just a weeeee bit more of a subbass drop than I usually hear. But that's just me.

Most reviewers of the D100 probably only did extensive testing with cans rather than IEMs which is why this catches IEM users by surprise.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #288 of 454

Hm. Treble rolloff I'm fine with, it's more the low end that concerns me. I'm not looking for bassy, I have bassy, I kinda want to try something flatter but if it's recessed bass I'm out. I've heard tips can alter it but all Iv'e used are the Comply foams. 

I wouldn't say recessed bass. Bass is actually slightly enhanced - but the enhancement is small enough to be considered neutral. However depending on your fit the 6-8k area can be quite forward and overshadow the bass.

Nice impressions! They sound like something I would like actually, but just have no real need right now.

There's some confusion or misinformation or translation error, possibly from the manufacturer side for the D100, but from my and another head-fier's experience, there might be some sort of resistor in-line to reduce the output of the low jack (likely not present on the high jack) which likely actually increases the output impedance significantly changing the FR on IEMs with non-flat impedance curves and low input impedance.

Per Rins measurements:

elect.png

You'll note using Rins standard compensation that there is a reasonably significant drop off after 10k as you noted and the peak at 7k is only really a peak due to the adjacent dips, but nonetheless present as is. And that with 33+ ohm added impedance, you'll see a ~10dB drop off of pretty much everything above 2KHz.

But it's worth mentioning that a new compensation method that is gaining traction, Olive-Welti shows a slightly different story for the treble:

ow.png

Though I think that for IEMs this compensation shows just a weeeee bit more of a subbass drop than I usually hear. But that's just me.

Most reviewers of the D100 probably only did extensive testing with cans rather than IEMs which is why this catches IEM users by surprise.

What you're saying makes sense. The HD600 sounds identical from both the high and low outputs - their 300ohm impedance would mean that the HD600 would be unaffected by the high impedance of the resistor in the low output, unlike IEMs.

I think the 7k peak is worsened by canal resonance. I have strange canals that make deep insertion impossible.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #289 of 454
Have you guys been trying different amps and sources with these, to get an idea of how much the sound changes with different devices, i.e. synergy?

I pretty much have been using them with my HiFi-M8 set for 2 ohm or 10 ohm output impedance, and I haven't gotten tired of them yet!

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #290 of 454
Just wanted to share my thoughts and experience with these iems....

Before starting, I have been in this hobby for a couple of years now and have listened to quite a number of headphones and iems. 
I own the SHURE SRH940, the NAD VISO HP50, the BOSE QC20, the SENNHEISER HD239, the Isurus Thermaltake, the Koss Portapro, the JVC fx40, and currently waiting for the Sony XBA-h1.

I have auditioned quite a few high end rigs, including the Sennheiser HD800, the Stax 4070, as well as a lot of other mid-tier phones like the Shure SE535, Sennheiser Momentums, Parrot Ziks, etc.

Anyway coming to the point... I bought the Primo 8 in september 2014... Initial listening impressions were a bit disappointing with regards to my sonic expectations.... unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to have a listen beforehand.

For my personal tastes I have found the Primo 8 to be a bit too sparkly. Indeed when checking out eq techniques I have found that for me with the silicon tips there's huge peak in the frequency response around 7khz and without eq-ing that peak the sound is really not up to mark.

I am definitly not a basshead. But even if I have been trying to convince myself otherwise, i find the bass lacking. 

The above observations can be adjusted through eq but when you buy a pair for 500 Euros, I would have preferred not to have to do such things. With the provided comply tips the peak at around 7khz is somehow tamed but the sound is also impacted... sounds almost muffled.

Anyway the important point for me is regarding the build quality and customer service. Even when I received the product brand new, the paint was gone on the nozzles.... as it was hidden and not visible with the tips on, I didn't make a fuss about it. Unfortunatly, even if I have taken extreme good care of these iems, the paint in the shell is also going away.... For a 500 Euros products, being used with extreme good care, having such "cosmetic" issues is VERY disappointing.

The even more disappointing thing is that when having contacted the after sales service of nuforce (now bought by Optoma), just replied that they can't do anything except offering a discount on some other products... lol

For me 500 euros is a huge sum that I regret having spent on this product which doesn't have the service level required. So as of now, based on my experience if I had to give an advice, avoid this product.

This is not an angry rant but a disappointed customer's advice to other fellow head-fiers!

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #292 of 454
If it were me, I think I would go up the ladder at customer service until I got someone who could make a command decision - flaking paint on a 500 Euro IEM is a manufacturer defect - defects are not simply limited to sound reproduction. That is what the warranty is for. I don't know if you did that and still got the negative response. Not to honor the warranty on all facets of the product is unacceptable - did you buy direct from NuForce? Or a retailer? 

If I bought a new car with a warranty and the paint flaked off, I would demand a repair - I know this analogy is a bit overboard, but I think it applies. Don't take no for an answer. It is a manufacturer defect.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #293 of 454
Thanks for the advice! Will try again!

Ivabign.............. wow you have a beautiful line-up of IEMs! if you had to keep just one, which one would it be?

I have bought them from the amazon in europe...

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #294 of 454
The cable on my Primo 8's broke so I contacted customer support and was asked to send everything back, I did in original packaging, and a new OEM replacement would be sent. When my replacements finally arrived  they were not in retail packaging just put in a plastic bag and shipped.

I was extremely upset by this and contacted support/customer service and was told that NuForce filed for bankruptcy and had been acquired by optima and I received what they had of remaining new  inventory and that there will be little to no legacy product support.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #295 of 454
I am sure someone jacked your box for some reason.  And I wish you post here before your RMA, as I can advice you on replacement.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #296 of 454
I bought my primo 8 yesterday and enjoying them like mad, really blown away by the sound they deliver. the only downside being the ear guides which are a pain in the ass when you wear glasses like i do, it simply doesn't work. 

Is there a place where i could get a cable for the primo without these ear guides ??? 
what kind of connector are these ?

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #297 of 454
  I bought my primo 8 yesterday and enjoying them like mad, really blown away by the sound they deliver. the only downside being the ear guides which are a pain in the ass when you wear glasses like i do, it simply doesn't work. 
  Is there a place where i could get a cable for the primo without these ear guides ??? 
what kind of connector are these ?

The Primo 8 uses the standard MMCX connector, so any Shure or new Westone cable will work.  I used to have mine with the 46 inch Shure silver cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Detachable-Earphone-Connection-Earphones/dp/B00HTJLCWK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421605143&sr=8-5&keywords=shure+cable

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #298 of 454
Wish I would have posted first too, thank you.  Seems like they have some good people there just my timing was off. I went through all the emails and It took around a month to get things done.  They are my first of higher end IEMs ($500) , I tried out a couple  other around the same price point but after reading some of the reviews I went for these and they do sound amazing.  

Just wish I would have gotten my own replacement cable but I I figured it would be nice to have OEM in the event I wanted to sell at some point. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #300 of 454
I never liked the stock cable from the Primo 8, as this is the ONLY down side to the entire package.  You will be much happier with aftermarket ones like Moon-Audio, Toxic, or DHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back