Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #76 of 454
These are pretty compact for a 4 driver BA IEM.  I do like the look, as they are stylish without being gaudy.

At this moment I keep three universal IEM in a ziplock bag in my jacket pocket that I carry everywhere - the Primo 8 for audiophile listening, the NE-600M red for fun with a mic for calls, and some old style Apple earbuds with mic and foam ear-pads to help them stay in place.  

When I'm driving my car I can't have the isolation of the in-ear models, hence the apple ear buds. I'm sure I'll be rotating back and forth between the W3, W4, and Primo 8 for a while, depending on my mood.  I just don't to be walking around with more than $500 of IEM in my pocket.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #79 of 454
  I'm not liking a straight stem with no rim to stop tips from sliding off.

Well, a smooth stem is not necessarily terrible; there's more consistent, even surface area for frictional hold. It's more difficult to construct a stem with a rim, as it interrupts the frictional hold, so good designs should effectively be "keyed" to the tips selected. A straight tube is not ideal, though. Perhaps if the surface of the stem were treated with a sandblasting procedure, there's be higher friction for the tips, without having to revise the injection molds completely.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #80 of 454
I'm not liking a straight stem with no rim to stop tips from sliding off.

NuForce isn't the first to do this. I know the Westone W-series did in the past. Those tips stay on better than a lot of the IEMs I have to deal with. The stiffness of the tip itself has a lot to do with it. Take two blocks of wood, press them against each other and try to slide them. It's actually pretty tough :wink:

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #81 of 454
NuForce isn't the first to do this. I know the Westone W-series did in the past. Those tips stay on better than a lot of the IEMs I have to deal with. The stiffness of the tip itself has a lot to do with it. Take two blocks of wood, press them against each other and try to slide them. It's actually pretty tough
wink.gif

I appreciate the input and engineering/scientific perspective from both you and Tom.  However the only time I've had problems with tips slipping is with the Brainwavz R1 and they feature the same straight (and I assume smooth) tubes.  That's one person's experience and not proof that the design isn't sound, but it's why I bring it up.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #82 of 454
Found some bigger pictures:

I feel like the bass driver in the UERM is bigger than all of these combined :blink:

NuForce isn't the first to do this. I know the Westone W-series did in the past. Those tips stay on better than a lot of the IEMs I have to deal with. The stiffness of the tip itself has a lot to do with it. Take two blocks of wood, press them against each other and try to slide them. It's actually pretty tough :wink:

The ER-4 too. Tips stay on juuuust fine.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #83 of 454
  I appreciate the input and engineering/scientific perspective from both you and Tom.  However the only time I've had problems with tips slipping is with the Brainwavz R1 and they feature the same straight (and I assume smooth) tubes.  That's one person's experience and not proof that the design isn't sound, but it's why I bring it up.

I wasn't talking about the tube being problematic, in this case, it was the tip that was problematic :wink:  The tip has to be tight to the barrel, otherwise, it won't connect at all, even if it is notched (ADDIEM is an example of this, there are many others that use the notch and still get it wrong).  I do own the R1 (and R3) BTW, haven't had any issues while testing and using them.  If the tip is poorly designed, it won't work on any nozzle, notched or not. 

I feel like the bass driver in the UERM is bigger than all of these combined
blink.gif

The ER-4 too. Tips stay on juuuust fine.

ER-4 is a straight tube?  Wasn't aware of that :p  I thought it would have a nozzle like the HF5, which isn't straight XD 

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #85 of 454
So when will this on the market? People's tax refunds are coming in :)

Audio360 has a picture of the retail box so will it be available soon?

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #87 of 454
Folks, I have the Primo 8 for the night, and then it's gotta go back to the folks at Nuforce tomorrow.

Big ups to Wolf for taking the time to meet with me and being generous with letting me handle their engineering prototype (was just told this is a actually a production unit, just not made with the mass production run, so the design and sound signature are finalized, but the build quality isn't necessarily representative of the final production product)!

I don't have time to write up full impressions (and even when they come, please take them with a grain [or pinch, I'm better than a grain, I kid, I kid] of salt, because it's basically a 12-hour experience), but I've got a few initial remarks:
  1. These are very relaxing to listen to, i.e. they are an IEM that Tyll Hertsens could actually enjoy.
  2. I'm impressed by the maturity of Nuforce's tuning choice for this earphone. This is a great first effort on their part, foraying into the higher end of IEMs.
  3. TBH, I was not expecting to be impressed, but I am liking them more and more by the second.
  4. However, while it is decidedly excellent, it is not quite a "giant killer". It's not taking down the SE846, K3003, or TO GO! 334. What it is, is a very, very competent IEM.
  5. The quick summary is that it's "mid-centric", with a mild downsloping response, mild bass, and relaxed treble.
  6. Treble is slightly too relaxed for my tastes, but the open stereo separation in the midrange helps with the relaxed sound signature. Timbre is quite natural-sounding, despite the relaxed nature.
  7. Primary criticism: accessories are not as polished as those included with the offerings of its immediate competing products from Shure, Westone, and Logitech UE.
  8. Secondary criticism: mid-forward sound presentation should probably have slightly more in the upper-midrange and general treble shelf to further delineate the vocal band, which would also allow it to more closely approach the subjective "ideal" eardrum response as outlined by Olive & Welti (2013).

(Maybe I should do this Reddit AMA style... ask me anything concerning the Primo 8 within the next hour and a half?)

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #88 of 454
Since you intend to do this Reddit-style, let me ask the first question then..

I'm not sure if you have heard the SE535, but I'm interested on your take on how the SE535 stands up to the Primo 8.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #89 of 454
  I'm not sure if you have heard the SE535, but I'm interested on your take on how the SE535 stands up to the Primo 8.

Yes, I'm familiar with the SE535, both regular and LTD editions. The Primo 8 is more transparent, detailed, and open sounding, but retains a somewhat similar, mid-centric signature. If one were considering the two, I'd only recommend the SE535 if the person were craving very buttery smooth mids. Otherwise, I believe the Primo 8 takes the cake.

Sonically, I believe the Primo 8 bests the W4R/W40 as well. I have not heard the upcoming Audiofly AF180, but I have a feeling that in terms of sound transparency and holistic completeness, the Primo 8 is tops in the sub-$500 category. However, it's a matter of signature preference.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #90 of 454
That's nice to know! 

My ears seems to prefer the SE535 LTD over W4r (I have yet to try out the W40). If the Primo 8 beats the 535 in terms of transparency and details, then I think I know what to look out for when it comes on sale at where I stay..

So many 4BA drivers in the market, so many choices..aargh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back