Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #61 of 454
These are not negative comments as they don't directly relate to performance but just some corrections of the early technical description which were perhaps a bit of marketing. A 1st order butterworth filter needs few components and has lots of band overlap. Finding space for it is no more problematic than other crossover designs and in fact is a common approach. Butterworth generally relates to higher order networks since 1st order types are generally all the same and have great phase character. They are simple and in this case, simple can be good. Not simple to voice but simple in execution.

I think it's a fine choice for this purpose and lobing in this instance is a non issue. If they can keep the group delay reasonable it should all work great. It's just that the crossover type and packing aspects aren't unique. It will come down to driver alignment and execution which looks to be great. It will be interesting to see the phase curve once measured to see if it's a flat phase response from end to end. Not nearly as important as the drivers being so in the overlap regions which is over 6 octaves depending on individual driver response and any added mechanical filters.

All that said, I appreciate Headphone addicts reviews and the heads up on something that looks to be a contender. 
size]

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #62 of 454
Would this be better than a Custom IEM like the Noble 3C or UM Mage or Jh5?

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 454
Thanks for the review HPA. Too bad I've only briefly heard the W3, so your comparisons are a bit useless to me. 
redface.gif

Hopefully the U.S tour units will start over on the west coast and I'll get to hear them fairly soon! 

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 454
Great review @HeadphoneAddict ! Thank you. 
Now I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between the Primo 8 and the Noble 4! 
confused_face_2.gif

Anyone here who's heard both?

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #67 of 454
Hi, I have had the SE535 for 3 years now and was looking into the SE846. This Primo 8 looks like a great deal and the price seems right compared to the 846 both being quad drivers. Would you say that the Primo 8 would be significant upgrade to the SE535. If so and available at this point if time, I would really appreciate some comparison between the Primo 8, SE535 and SE846. I might just end up getting both if they are far apart enough in sound sig. Thanks in advance.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #68 of 454
Found a clearer picture of the Primo 8, from PhileWeb's coverage of the Fujiya-AVIC Tokyo Portaken:

Looks slightly better than in previous pictures; I'm still a little perplexed that it resembles a bicycle helmet.

Does that ribbed design cut down on wind noise or something?

Hopefully, I get to meet up with Wolfgang within the next couple of days.

He has stated that the engineering unit he has with him isn't a cosmetic representation of the final design, though the sound has been finalized.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #70 of 454
There is not much we can do about the shape of the case when there are 4 BA drivers inside and they have to be stacked in a certain way.

I don't think he's talking about the shape of the IEM in general, that the fact that it has ribs/ridges cut into it. I guess he's not a fan of it (and would want something smooth on the outside). The design is reminiscent of other multidriver IEMs (Westone and Shure). I don't mind the design too much.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #71 of 454
I don't think he's talking about the shape of the IEM in general, that the fact that it has ribs/ridges cut into it. I guess he's not a fan of it (and would want something smooth on the outside). The design is reminiscent of other multidriver IEMs (Westone and Shure). I don't mind the design too much.

Exactly.

As long as they sound good, I honestly don't care about how they look like.

Would have loved to try them at the convention in Hamburg a few days ago...

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #74 of 454
I'm not really saying that I do or don't like the design; it's just that design and aesthetics serve to do the following things: they further the corporate image of a company, they take that image in a new direction, or they serve a functional purpose, just to name a few.

I commented on the looks of the Primo 8 because they are, to state the very least, unconventional. If the shell were to further the existing image of Nuforce, I would've expected the Primo 8 to take on a very minimalist, modern look, with few lines that break body contours.

Thus, the new look is perhaps marking a new aesthetic direction for Nuforce, and perhaps in particular its higher-end IEM lineup. With that in mind, I'm just unsure what kind of look the industrial design is trying to convey here. The ribbed design is usually seen on air-shaping surfaces, such as car bumpers, bike helmets, etc. That's why I made the comment suggesting if the design were supposed to cut down on wind noise.

From a volume standpoint, I completely understand what type of space is required to fit the kind of drivers that are within the Primo 8. In fact, I'd harbor to say that I understand those dynamics better than most head-fiers. The question(s) here is whether the choice to make the Primo 8's surface ribbed is functional, aesthetic, or both, and why those choices were made.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #75 of 454
I'm not really saying that I do or don't like the design; it's just that design and aesthetics serve to do the following things: they further the corporate image of a company, they take that image in a new direction, or they serve a functional purpose, just to name a few.

I commented on the looks of the Primo 8 because they are, to state the very least, unconventional. If the shell were to further the existing image of Nuforce, I would've expected the Primo 8 to take on a very minimalist, modern look, with few lines that break body contours.

Thus, the new look is perhaps marking a new aesthetic direction for Nuforce, and perhaps in particular its higher-end IEM lineup. With that in mind, I'm just unsure what kind of look the industrial design is trying to convey here. The ribbed design is usually seen on air-shaping surfaces, such as car bumpers, bike helmets, etc. That's why I made the comment suggesting if the design were supposed to cut down on wind noise.

From a volume standpoint, I completely understand what type of space is required to fit the kind of drivers that are within the Primo 8. In fact, I'd harbor to say that I understand those dynamics better than most head-fiers. The question(s) here is whether the choice to make the Primo 8's surface ribbed is functional, aesthetic, or both, and why those choices were made.

A+ post. I hope this conversation leads somewhere, unlike every time I try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back