Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Mar 10, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #391 of 454
Welp, they arrived last night. Indeed, they're very sensitive to output impedance; when I plugged them into my phone, it sounded like 40 cotton balls were shoved in my ears. When I plugged them into my FiiO E12A, it was much better, likely how these are supposed to be heard.

Through my (~3 ohm) phone, it just sounded muffled. It wasn't this "what the hell?" kind of tone like from the SE846 (which seems to suck out 2-5kHz and boost 10kHz+, very odd timbre).

Multi-driver IEMs seem to have a huge issue with this kind of thing, but the 1MORE Triple Driver must have the most linear impedance of any BA IEM. Even single BAs have an impedance swing:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/1MORETripleDriver.pdf

I'd be all over that, but for that 7-10kHz dip...

EDIT: Anybody NOT using Comply P100 tips are doing themselves a great disservice.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #392 of 454
  Welp, they arrived last night. Indeed, they're very sensitive to output impedance; when I plugged them into my phone, it sounded like 40 cotton balls were shoved in my ears. When I plugged them into my FiiO E12A, it was much better, likely how these are supposed to be heard.

Through my (~3 ohm) phone, it just sounded muffled. It wasn't this "what the hell?" kind of tone like from the SE846 (which seems to suck out 2-5kHz and boost 10kHz+, very odd timbre).

Multi-driver IEMs seem to have a huge issue with this kind of thing, but the 1MORE Triple Driver must have the most linear impedance of any BA IEM. Even single BAs have an impedance swing:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/1MORETripleDriver.pdf

I'd be all over that, but for that 7-10kHz dip...

EDIT: Anybody NOT using Comply P100 tips are doing themselves a great disservice.

Similar experience, they sound better out of my Fiio E10 than my iPhone 6+.  Any idea if a Audioquest Dragonfly Black might improve on the iPhone?   I also hate the cable.   I'm going to order another MMCX cable without the memory wire/ear hooks.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #393 of 454

Similar experience, they sound better out of my Fiio E10 than my iPhone 6+.  Any idea if a Audioquest Dragonfly Black might improve on the iPhone?   I also hate the cable.   I'm going to order another MMCX cable without the memory wire/ear hooks.

Apparently the output impedance is "less than 1 ohm", which isn't quite the descriptor I'd hope, but you should be fine. My E12A has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms, so it would have been nice to know exactly how "less than one ohm" the Dragonfly's impedance actually is.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #394 of 454
Turns out my Massdrop order is a bust. Dead on arrival. No replacement Primo 8's for me either, unfortunately. I am pretty bummed out.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #395 of 454
  Turns out my Massdrop order is a bust. Dead on arrival. No replacement Primo 8's for me either, unfortunately. I am pretty bummed out.

I always take a second pause with mass drop for this reason. Their marketing is A+ but sometimes when they offer exclusive stuff and little to few reviews it makes me question. like the latest 64 audio drop.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #396 of 454

I always take a second pause with mass drop for this reason. Their marketing is A+ but sometimes when they offer exclusive stuff and little to few reviews it makes me question. like the latest 64 audio drop.

The deals that have worked have been amazing for me. But, I literally have a 50% success rate at this point. Hopefully, Optoma will make good.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #397 of 454

The deals that have worked have been amazing for me. But, I literally have a 50% success rate at this point. Hopefully, Optoma will make good.

I purchased a brainwavz  blue box drop before and got sent the m100 which literally probably got the worst ratings here on headfi. It seemed in my logic at least, they were trying to offload a bunch of these IEM that they couldn't sell cause of how bad they were so instead of lowering the price, maybe it would have been better to just blue box  them, make them 60% of the entire blue box grab. They have the same sound quality as the earbuds from apple if not worst IMO. Ever since, I have been keeping in mind that there is usually 'something wrong' with the product or some sort of catch. 

Theres no warranty and you have to deal with a mass drop warranty which makes me a little more cautious as well.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #398 of 454

.... Ever since, I have been keeping in mind that there is usually 'something wrong' with the product or some sort of catch.

Yeah, basically. I always try to figure out what that catch is first. Here are what I think are the most common reasons something shows up on Massdrop:

1. Massdrop makes it.
2. The product lacks other mainstream vendors.
3. It was critically panned/commercially unsuccessful.
4. The item is discontinued and is being clearanced.
5. The item is brand new and needs reviews/exposure.
6. The deal isn't actually that good.
7. There are are very few of them available.

Of course, each of those reasons comes with its own secondary potential issues. As far as I could tell, the Primo 8 deal falls under reason #4.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #400 of 454
Sorry to hear this. Please send me details by private message and we'll help. -Jyri/NuForce

Thanks! And, PM sent.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #402 of 454
Folks, I need some advice on these - I'm an audio purist and would like to listen to music at its most neutral state. For a long time, I relied on high-end speakers to listen to music but two things changed in my life: Our family welcomed a new little boy into our lives and he is sensitive to loud noises and I find myself traveling a lot for work these days. For the last few months, I've been on a bit of a headphone/IEM binge to find a few options to keep up the good fight. The idea is to have a great pair of both headphones (home use) and IEMs (travel).

I found the Primo 8s on Massdrop for what looked to be a great price and I bought the New version for a little bit of an up charge. It was an impulse decision based on the price and availability of these units. I finally received these after much delay but have yet to open it due to some negative reviews around it's un-natural sound signature, poor build quality in the cable, poor fit/adjustability in the ear loops.

Hear is what I can say so far - I have the custom UE Reference IEMs and really enjoy them. There's a little bit in the 8-9K range that bothers me but I have bigger issues with this pair - I had a bad audiologist fitting and will likely need to get an adjustment with UE. Ultimately, these will be used for times when I perform on stage so I still need a good comparable pair to travel with. 

Should I open the Primo 8s or look at something else?

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #403 of 454
  Folks, I need some advice on these - I'm an audio purist and would like to listen to music at its most neutral state. For a long time, I relied on high-end speakers to listen to music but two things changed in my life: Our family welcomed a new little boy into our lives and he is sensitive to loud noises and I find myself traveling a lot for work these days. For the last few months, I've been on a bit of a headphone/IEM binge to find a few options to keep up the good fight. The idea is to have a great pair of both headphones (home use) and IEMs (travel).

I found the Primo 8s on Massdrop for what looked to be a great price and I bought the New version for a little bit of an up charge. It was an impulse decision based on the price and availability of these units. I finally received these after much delay but have yet to open it due to some negative reviews around it's un-natural sound signature, poor build quality in the cable, poor fit/adjustability in the ear loops.

Hear is what I can say so far - I have the custom UE Reference IEMs and really enjoy them. There's a little bit in the 8-9K range that bothers me but I have bigger issues with this pair - I had a bad audiologist fitting and will likely need to get an adjustment with UE. Ultimately, these will be used for times when I perform on stage so I still need a good comparable pair to travel with. 

The Primo's are VERY different than my Westone W30s that I have been using for the past two years.  At first I was afraid that I hated them, but whether it was physical burn in or brain burn in, I am really starting to enjoy them.  They remind me somewhat of the early Aurisonics sound.  They might might not be as much as an "All Around" IEM as my w30s, but with the right music, they are really starting to grow on me.  I ordered the MEE Audio Silver Plated Pinnacle P1 cable to use with them.  I just don't like the ear hooks on the factory cable.  

All that being said, personally if I only had one pair of IEMs, it would probably not be the Primo 8s, but as a second or third pair for a different sound to have, I'll be keeping them.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #404 of 454

I was under the impression that the new version had improved memory wire, as opposed to the refurbished ones that had a much more rigid wire. I believe people are complaining mostly about the refurbished versions. As far as the tone goes, I think these are very flat sounding IEMs (maybe a little on the warm side) assuming your DAP's output impedance is very low (which should be the case on any dedicated portable DAP, really).

I think the negative reviews were framed in the context of full MSRP, and even then I think there was only the one.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #405 of 454

I don't have any experience with the UERM's, so I can't compare. I also had to check and see if I got the refurbished ones or not. I did get the refurbs, and agree that the cable needs to go. But overall I have trouble getting them into my ears. I do seem to have odd shape ears though. Kind of like a funnel maybe. The body hits before I can get the nozzle in far enough to seal well.

I thought comply P100's would fix them, but they actually made things worse. I guess the extra length runs right into the bend in my left ear. I slide them out a bit and get sound, but also some leakage, or push them in further and the tip gets closed off and I get a muffled sound. There is a tiny sweet spot in there, but a hassle to find. So I decided to try some etymotic glider tips. Those are an improvement, but maybe still not ideal. Tip rolling will be required for me at least.

And yes for me the ear hooks are garbage. They are one shape and size only. Won't adjust, and are simply way too big to stay behind my ears. Add that to the fit issue already, and it's annoying for sure.

As to the sound. When I get a good seal, and fit isn't bothering me, they actually sound pretty solid. They're not Etymotic ER-4 neutral, but a little more fun. They have a bit more mids/body, and definitely bigger punchier bass. There is something to the highs though, that isn't quite "right". Almost like there's a compressor on them. Kind of sibilant but kind of not. It's hard to describe. They're not world class end game by any means, but I've also heard much worse.

Which is why I'm in a similar boat. If I can find some tips that work, and get a better cable, they'll be a nice addition to my collection. I'm trying to find several pairs I can use for mixing, for different "perspectives". These are good enough for that, if I can fix the comfort issues. Would they ever be MY first choice? Probably not. But if I can get a decent cable and keep my total cost under $200, I couldn't complain, and might even recommend them, for someone just starting. I'm actually considering asking the keyboard player if he wants to try them. He uses the stock phones that came with our in-ear systems. They're pretty muddy sounding. These would be quite the improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back