Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #436 of 454
I had troubles getting a comfortable fit with a good seal. Once you have that and apply a bit more power than a typical earphone I think they sound good. YMMV
Hmm. I see this alot.. fit issues. Complys p100 ? More power meaning it needs to be amped? How about a DAP like sony a45?
Currently using 1more triple drivers.. sounds good, but looking for something with better soundstage and a more balanced sound signature.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #437 of 454
Hmm. I see this alot.. fit issues. Complys p100 ? More power meaning it needs to be amped? How about a DAP like sony a45?
Currently using 1more triple drivers.. sounds good, but looking for something with better soundstage and a more balanced sound signature.
I found my my ultimate solution here although I am not sure if it was this thread. Put the smallest silicone, which is way too small for my normal use, and put it on backwards. The ear opening end toward the body of the IEM. Folded the body of the ear tip downward and over the body of the IEM. Then used standard T500 foamies. Nice fit, good seal, nice sound. For me. I did go back and forth with the foamies and KZ starlines but silicone tips make my ears swear sweat so if I can get a good fit and seal with foamies I use them. Sounded good with the KZ starlines so I guess you could choose either. YMMV

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #438 of 454
I found my my ultimate solution here although I am not sure if it was this thread. Put the smallest silicone, which is way too small for my normal use, and put it on backwards. The ear opening end toward the body of the IEM. Folded the body of the ear tip downward and over the body of the IEM. Then used standard T500 foamies. Nice fit, good seal, nice sound. For me. I did go back and forth with the foamies and KZ starlines but silicone tips make my ears swear so if I can get a good fit and seal with foamies I use them. Sounded good with the KZ starlines so I guess you could choose either. YMMV
I see...thanks. i guess I'll have to wait for it first. :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #440 of 454
Hey guys, I need to send my Primo8 back to nuforce for warranty and I can't figure out what exactly to send. Is it ok if I just send the earphones properly protected without the original box and accessories?

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #441 of 454
Hey guys, I need to send my Primo8 back to nuforce for warranty and I can't figure out what exactly to send. Is it ok if I just send the earphones properly protected without the original box and accessories?

In general yes but depends. Where are you located? Whats wrong with the Primos? Have you contacted us yet? Sorry for all the questions but trying to help.

-Jyri/NuForce

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #442 of 454
In general yes but depends. Where are you located? Whats wrong with the Primos? Have you contacted us yet? Sorry for all the questions but trying to help.

-Jyri/NuForce
Thank you for the quick reply, I actually first contacted you, right earphone has distortion. I purchased them in the US but am currently on business outside of the country. I contacted massdrop and they directed me to Optoma customer support and I got a RMA through them. Optoma RMA policy mentions including the original label so I had doubts about shipping in the original package.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #443 of 454
Contacted me directly? If so my apologies that I haven't replied. Could you please resend your email so that I can see that? Not sure if I did not receive or what happened.

Most of the times we replace the Primos to a new pair. Thus the original packaging would be necessary. If you do not have the original packaging anymore please send us everything you have. If you encounter any challenges please loop me in so that I can help.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #444 of 454
Contacted me directly? If so my apologies that I haven't replied. Could you please resend your email so that I can see that? Not sure if I did not receive or what happened.

Most of the times we replace the Primos to a new pair. Thus the original packaging would be necessary. If you do not have the original packaging anymore please send us everything you have. If you encounter any challenges please loop me in so that I can help.
Hi,

I bought the primo8 from Massdrop recently. The right side cable disconnects intermittently..at some angles or with movement. I tested by swapping sides..and the problem is with the cable connection. Is there anything Nuforce can do ? I've only had it for a month or two. Location: Malaysia.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #445 of 454
Hi,

I bought the primo8 from Massdrop recently. The right side cable disconnects intermittently..at some angles or with movement. I tested by swapping sides..and the problem is with the cable connection. Is there anything Nuforce can do ? I've only had it for a month or two. Location: Malaysia.

The Primo8 will work with most MMCX cables so if Nuforce can't help you out, just pickup a new MMCX cable. Personally I HATED the cable with the Primo8 and found a nice MME cable without memory wire to work great.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nuf...-iem-impressions.696804/page-28#post-13348857

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #446 of 454
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #447 of 454
Hey All,

Reviving an old thread as I just got in a set of the Primo 8 iems from massdrop for 149.99, which seems like a good deal considering 4 BA drivers in each housing.

My goal in purchasing the primo 8 headphone was to get a more neutral sound signature (compared to RHA MA750) with greater detail across the entire sound spectrum. Essential less boomy in the bass, more mid forward, and smoothness in the treble. After reading reviews and reviewing the measurements posted on innerfidelity I thought they were worth a shot.

Amps: Benchmark DAC1 USB, Schiit Vali 2, Audioquest Dragon Fly Black
DAP: Ibasso DX90

After about 20 hours of burn in I have to say I'm very disappointed so far. The bass is fine, and not over emphasized, but the mids and treble are so harsh that it makes them pretty much non-listenable. A good example of the harshness is the song Far Far Away by Wilco, which is an acoustic folk/rock track. Tweedy's vocals are piercing especially when he sings a word starting with 'S'.

Well recorded drums don't sound real. A good example is a track by Mogwai called Helps Both Ways from Come on Die Young. They sound so natural, powerful, and airy even through the RHA MA750. With the primo, i guess they are more forward but the air and realism vanishes.

These comments are based on all amps and DAPs above. I know I probably need to break these in for another 100 hours at least (I have them plugged into the benchmark on Roon Radio non-stop), but the sound overall is pretty terrible thus far.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with new Primo 8s? Could it be the latest manufacturing run? Does the sound change drastically after break in?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Shahram

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #448 of 454
Hey All,

Reviving an old thread as I just got in a set of the Primo 8 iems from massdrop for 149.99, which seems like a good deal considering 4 BA drivers in each housing.

My goal in purchasing the primo 8 headphone was to get a more neutral sound signature (compared to RHA MA750) with greater detail across the entire sound spectrum. Essential less boomy in the bass, more mid forward, and smoothness in the treble. After reading reviews and reviewing the measurements posted on innerfidelity I thought they were worth a shot.

Amps: Benchmark DAC1 USB, Schiit Vali 2, Audioquest Dragon Fly Black
DAP: Ibasso DX90

After about 20 hours of burn in I have to say I'm very disappointed so far. The bass is fine, and not over emphasized, but the mids and treble are so harsh that it makes them pretty much non-listenable. A good example of the harshness is the song Far Far Away by Wilco, which is an acoustic folk/rock track. Tweedy's vocals are piercing especially when he sings a word starting with 'S'.

Well recorded drums don't sound real. A good example is a track by Mogwai called Helps Both Ways from Come on Die Young. They sound so natural, powerful, and airy even through the RHA MA750. With the primo, i guess they are more forward but the air and realism vanishes.

These comments are based on all amps and DAPs above. I know I probably need to break these in for another 100 hours at least (I have them plugged into the benchmark on Roon Radio non-stop), but the sound overall is pretty terrible thus far.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with new Primo 8s? Could it be the latest manufacturing run? Does the sound change drastically after break in?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Shahram

The Primo8 is definitely a love or hate IEM. I could only listen to them with the Comply tips but that might away that "air" your are looking for. I didn't find that they dramatically changed after burn in but I did find that my perception of them did. It's more of a brain burn in than a mechanical burn in.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #449 of 454
The Primo8 is definitely a love or hate IEM. I could only listen to them with the Comply tips but that might away that "air" your are looking for. I didn't find that they dramatically changed after burn in but I did find that my perception of them did. It's more of a brain burn in than a mechanical burn in.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find them to be harsh or sibilant in the upper mids? What kinds of music do you listen to with them? I'm having a hard time believing that brain burn-in is going to make me accept the sound of these :frowning2: . They just hurt to listen to thus far.

I will try the comply tips and see if that changes it for me. I've only used the silocone tips that so far.

I was on the edge of getting the Shure SE535 cause I really love the fit of the SE series and have read great things about them. The measurements of the SE535 and Primo 8s (on innerfidelity) were so similar that I was hoping I could save $300 by going with the nuforce.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #450 of 454
Thanks for the reply.

Do you find them to be harsh or sibilant in the upper mids? What kinds of music do you listen to with them? I'm having a hard time believing that brain burn-in is going to make me accept the sound of these :frowning2: . They just hurt to listen to thus far.

I will try the comply tips and see if that changes it for me. I've only used the silocone tips that so far.

I was on the edge of getting the Shure SE535 cause I really love the fit of the SE series and have read great things about them. The measurements of the SE535 and Primo 8s (on innerfidelity) were so similar that I was hoping I could save $300 by going with the nuforce.

I did find them a bit harsh at times. I've long since sold them so I don't 100% trust my audio memory. I've tried multiple times to replace or at least supplement my Westone W30s but for me at least, they have been my Goldilocks IEM. I was all set to buy W60s but in the end, I've just been happy enough not to.

See if the Complys help. I do remember that there were certain times that I did really like them. It was more that for on the go listening, my iPhone wasn't powerful enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back