Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
May 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #166 of 454
  (Hint: I think they're good and well worth consideration over the established guard of Shure, Westone, UE in premium universal IEMs)

I agree, as the Primo 8's sound sits in between Shure and Westone quite nicely.

May 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #167 of 454
Ordered them today. Will be interesting to see how they compare to my other recent acquisitions: Noble 6, Roxanne UF, SE846, W50, UM50, IE800, TG334, Parterre and S-EM6. I know, there is a big hole in the ground where my wallet used to be. This is it until bonus time next year!

May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #168 of 454
Ordered them today. Will be interesting to see how they compare to my other recent acquisitions: Noble 6, Roxanne UF, SE846, W50, UM50, IE800, TG334, Parterre and S-EM6. I know, there is a big hole in the ground where my wallet used to be. This is it until bonus time next year!

Looking forward to your comparison with the rest of your IEMs

May 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #169 of 454
Just opened the box. On first listen, I'm impressed. Vivid is the best word to describe them. Better bass than the response curves seem to indicate. So far, I like these better than the UM50 or W50. My box included two pairs each of four different sized silicone ear tips. 

The ear guides are very stiff. Fortunately, I have several other good MMCX cables to choose from.

May 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #170 of 454
  Just opened the box. On first listen, I'm impressed. Vivid is the best word to describe them. Better bass than the response curves seem to indicate. So far, I like these better than the UM50 or W50. My box included two pairs each of four different sized silicone ear tips. 

The ear guides are very stiff. Fortunately, I have several other good MMCX cables to choose from.

They're definitely better than the UM50 and W50. 
wink_face.gif

And yes, the ear guides are very stiff --- one of my few gripes regarding its ergonomics. The cable's sound quality itself is very good, though.

May 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #171 of 454
I'm listening right now via an ALO SXC 24 balanced cable to an AK240. The ALO cable is very stiff, but it's still a lot more comfortable than the Nuforce cable. The ALO ear guide sleeve is very thin and stays where you put it - pretty much the opposite of the Nuforce one. I don't find any major difference in sound with the ALO cable.

May 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #172 of 454
  I'm listening right now via an ALO SXC 24 balanced cable to an AK240. The ALO cable is very stiff, but it's still a lot more comfortable than the Nuforce cable. The ALO ear guide sleeve is very thin and stays where you put it - pretty much the opposite of the Nuforce one. I don't find any major difference in sound with the ALO cable.

Well, I have nothing to say about the ear guides, but I actually hate the ergonomics of the SXC24 --- as you say, the cable is very stiff. I'd rather live with the hard ear guides of the stock cable.

May 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #173 of 454

Well, I have nothing to say about the ear guides, but I actually hate the ergonomics of the SXC24 --- as you say, the cable is very stiff. I'd rather live with the hard ear guides of the stock cable.

I agree with you about the bad ergonomics of the SXC 24. The Nuforce cable is much better, except that I can't get the ear guides to stay in place. As bad as the SXC 24 ergonomics are at least the wires stay bent around my ears.

May 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #174 of 454
  I agree with you about the bad ergonomics of the SXC 24. The Nuforce cable is much better, except that I can't get the ear guides to stay in place. As bad as the SXC 24 ergonomics are at least the wires stay bent around my ears.

That's too bad. Even when you have the little detents in place to keep the cables from swiveling?

May 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #175 of 454

That's too bad. Even when you have the little detents in place to keep the cables from swiveling?

Swiveling is not my issue. The ear guide won't stay bent around my ear the way I like it. If the ear guide was shorter, it would probably be fine. The end by the earpiece is fine. It's the back end that is the problem. Other than that, the Nuforce cable is nearly ideal.

May 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #176 of 454
  Swiveling is not my issue. The ear guide won't stay bent around my ear the way I like it. If the ear guide was shorter, it would probably be fine. The end by the earpiece is fine. It's the back end that is the problem. Other than that, the Nuforce cable is nearly ideal.

Ah, I see. That's really too bad. Personally, I like Sony ear guides on the XBA-H series; they're much more bendy, so even though they're long, they're completely form-fitting.

May 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #177 of 454

Ah, I see. That's really too bad. Personally, I like Sony ear guides on the XBA-H series; they're much more bendy, so even though they're long, they're completely form-fitting.

Love the H3. Ear guide is pretty thick, like the Nuforce, but behaves better. I put the original cable back on the Primo 8 and tortured the ear guide into a tight enough bend that it stays put in the vertical plane. The back end still wants to move away from my head, but not too bad. Overall, a great IEM, especially considering the price.

May 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #178 of 454
The Primo 8 have been the only IEM I have used with my iPhone for a while, because none of my custom IEM cables work with the iPhone 5s Apple brand leather case.

I'm okay with the stock cable and ear guides - they are very stiff but with effort I can get them bent into the position that works for me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #179 of 454
Just got a set of Primo 8 used on Amazon, must have been demos.  First impression is very clear and flat mid and treble response, bass is somewhat source dependent, but solid and not boosted.  Fit is good, nice amount of add ons. although for this price a non microphone cable should be included, no excuses.  Tried with the new NuForce app, which appears to be a equalization app, boosts bass, not sure if it causes distortion of sound yet,  am going to try with my BeyerDynamic and FiiO amps to see effect of more current.  Sound very good on FiiO X3 with FLAC recordings.   Pretty impressive, sounds very similar to high end Shure IEM. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back