Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Mar 28, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #61 of 533

Hello Armaegis,

First of all thank you for the shotgun review. Very interesting to read. 
We highly value Your feedback. So if I may ask... Any chance to break in the units for 10-20h more? Based on what I read I think this would improve the performance, and your experience, drastically. There are quite few notes which do not seem correct to me (from the "real expected" performance point of view).

Also, I happen to be quite familiar with the NuPrime uDSD. Although it is a great product frankly I have to say that it does not do justice for the HEMs. So testing with different amps should also improve the experience. 

I am quite confident that the above changes would improve Your experience with the HEMS. I am very much looking forward of your further impressions. 
L3000.gif

Jyri

I agree these earphones need a good break in period with music playing through them. My own experience with silver coated cables themselves need some break in period let alone the BAs. Silver coated cables reveal more detail on the phones they are connected to and on open listen has a tendency to brighten up the sound characteristics of phones. It would have been awesome if the HEMs came with pure copper OFC as well which tends to warm up the sound a touch. For yet another take on the HEM sound.

I noticed when I amped my pair of HEM8 that it didn't really sound better than straight out of my DX90. I tried my portable amps the Cayin C5 and  E12A both with great results but I don't feel they added to the sonics as much as some of the dynamic or hybrid earphones I own. 

These sound great straight from the player with no external amping or extra power imo. The great thing about the HEM8 is than it is very revealing of your sources. I can clearly tell the limitations of the Fiio X1, FiioX3 ii and my DX90 or their sound characteristics of each player using the HEM8.

My favorite pairing thus far is straight from my DX90. Sounds great from the other daps too but clearly has synergy with my DX90. .

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #64 of 533
  Could someone tell me the differences between the Primo 8 and the HEM 8 besides the obvious cable and shell changes?

Technically everything:
- The shells have been redesigned for the best sound quality and fit (all the way from the shape, nozzle etc).
- Drivers are the latest Balanced Armatures available. We are not aware of any other manufacturers (at least in the consumer segment) using the same drivers. 
- HEMs are officially Hi-Res Audio certified
- The driver "layout" is different
- Crossovers have been redesigned. Each HEM (obviously not HEM2) have their individual crossover.
- Silicon tips
- Redesigned cables

I hope this helps.

- Jyri/NuForce

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #66 of 533
I wrote this bit of comparison against the Primo 8 on my review

A​gainst the Primo 8: first off the HEM8 is much more efficient than the Primo8. Higher volumes from the same level of power on all sources tested. Which means the HEM8 is much easier to drive. AB testing has the HEM8 being more fuller and more engaging in the mid ranges. Mids have more reach it seems and imagery of the HEM8 is better than the Primo 8. Primo 8 seems more flatter sounding and not as dimensional. Treble also has better definition on the HEM8. Bass is about equal on both, impact and extension. Physically the HEM8 is smaller than the Primo8 which is not that large to begin with. The HEM8 is more tear dropped shape vs the slightly larger oval football like shape of the Primo 8 making the HEM8 much more comfortable and will fit more peoples ears much better. Winner here is the HEM 8.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #68 of 533
So I just found out that the mic'd cord is Oxygen Free Copper and has no silver in it. This is interesting. I did my entire review with just the silver coated cable as I liked the sound from it alot but this throws yet another twist here.

Standard OFC should cut a bit of edge from the treble and warm up the sound a touch. This gives yet another way of tweeking the sound a bit for the HEM8. Very interesting. Any of you guys think the HEM8 might need a bit more edge/clarity. I would go with the silver cable.  If you guys want a bit less of an edge in the treble and a touch fuller in the bass end try the mic'd cable.

I can confirm my initial thoughts about the 2 cables. The Mic'd cable does indeed have a slightly warmer/smoother tilt to the sound. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #69 of 533
@jyri Can you please perhaps recommend the potential target audience for each of the IEM you are releasing, how the design came about, what tuning are you aiming for each iem, perhaps this way a lot of the potential customers will have an easier time making their decision.

Experience speaking so far for all the BA IEM I have came across any design without any crossover proved to be far more coherent than the more fancier multiple BA design. How did Nuforce tried to fix this particular issue?

PS: Welcome to head-fi :)

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #73 of 533
I'm in on this massdrop. Hoping for a 6 or 8 of course, but I don't have any pure BA IEMs yet so its nice to get a deal on something interesting at the very least. 

I think you'll be happy with HEM2, HEM6, or HEM8. Don't think HEM4 us your style. I could be wrong, though...

Personally, I think HEM2 is the sleeper in this lineup. Very natural, balanced sound. Not as full as HEM6 or HEM8. Not as lean as HEM4.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #75 of 533
I think you'll be happy with HEM2, HEM6, or HEM8. Don't think HEM4 us your style. I could be wrong, though...

Personally, I think HEM2 is the sleeper in this lineup. Very natural, balanced sound. Not as full as HEM6 or HEM8. Not as lean as HEM4.

Yeah your impression of the 2 helped the decision, given the straight 50% chance of receiving it. If the pricer models were clear, direct upgrades, those odds would make it less enticing - unfortunately I think this is partly why the drop does not seem to be a big draw (besides being expensive for a blue-box deal), with no impressions or descriptions of the sound being included in the information. I don't think it likely that many of the prizes will be unlocked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back