NuForce HDP vs Yulong D100
Mar 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #32 of 47
"Subs" as in ?

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 47
Didn´t get that. For the sake of good order, I´ll post my impressions in English and not Norwegian. My blog (cf. signature) will reflect same transition of language as well. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #37 of 47
Sorry for my delayed answer. Been preoccupied with a lot of other amps (Lehmann Audio BCL, Burson HA-160D, Violectric HPA V200).

To cut it short (my impressions, and not to be interpreted other than that):

Yulong D100: project68´s review of this piece of equipment it spot-on. The DAC is the best part of it. It´s ability to bring the details in the music is fantastic. Using the headamp output, I must admit that it didn´t do it for me. The K702 became way to bright and boring to my taste. HD800, even though not to bright, the D100 conveyed the music in a way that was to analytical.

NuForce HDP: Here it is quite the other way around. The DAC in the NuForce is OK, but that´s it. The strength is the headamp output. It has surprisingly more "slam" / "punch" than the D100.

The best combination, and I used that for nearly one week (needed to return the borrowed D100 back to the original owner), was to use the D100 as a DAC and the NuForce as the amp. THAT was a killer combo. At a head-fi meeting last month, we tested that combo towards Burson HA-160D (DAC) and Lehmann Audio BCL (amp) just for fun on the HD800. The differences was marginal. The slam from the D100 / Nuforce combo was good, but the soundstage was better with the latter combo.

Bottomline: If I should choose between a "DAC / amp" package in a single box; I would have chosen the NuForce HDP over the D100. HDP is also perfect as an amp/DAC for travel.

If, I wanted just to use the DAC section from these two; D100. No doubt. No doubt at all. 

Both accept 24-bit/96kHz via the USB input. The D100 is fixed to 24-bit. The NuForce is not. Hence, the latter will make purists happy as they can "pixelmap" the DAC to the source files attributes.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #39 of 47
Significant upgrade all depends on your point-of-view. The 160D (now in batch #3 of the production line) is USD1650 in Norway and the HDP is USD650. The 1000 in difference is a significant leap for the wallet. Sound wise, it is almost impossible to quantify the improvement in sound. The 160D is different, and I would say degrees more different that it de facto is better. The decay from e.g. piano / guitar is pleasant and a bit more "romantic" on the 160D than on the HDP. 

The HDP has more "slam" than meets the eye. The 160D is more involving.

I have pre-ordered a 160D but I keep my HDP. The latter for travel and flexibility. The former due to it´s one-box-gorgeous-looking-and-music-presentation skills. The synergy between 160D & AKG 70x is fantastic. After having gotten the HD800, the K702 was stuffed away. But the 160D made them shine once again.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 47
9500NOK and NOK/USD equal 5.7 gives approx. 1650USD, so yes it´s expensive in Norway. Unfortunately. The main reason is 25% import tax...

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #42 of 47

Quote:
I get asked this question rather often, and unfortunately I haven't heard the NuForce so I can't comment directly. As much as I love the Yulong D100 I have no problem recommending the HDP if it is a better fit, mainly due to the pre-amp functionality. HeadphoneAddict enjoys the HDP and I trust him.

Basically I'd say you can't really go wrong with either. Both seem to be very high value devices, and both have been enjoyed by a lot of people on this forum. Just pick the one that has the features, appearance, form factor, etc that you like best.

How weird is the comment on this site from Erubiel

http://forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/1403111.htm

May 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #43 of 47
Resurrecting this thread as IMO its still a current topic.

I just ordered the new 2012 version of the Yulong D100 MKII and still have my Nuforce HDP. Ill be testing these two amp/DACs with the Sennheiser HD-650's and the Denon AH-D5000's. Ill post back and tell you all what I think FWIW.

Anyone else out there though have anymore to add to this comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back