NuForce HDP vs Yulong D100
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

AKKS17

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I am looking to upgrade to first my first proper headphone and amplifier combination, having recently bought a set of Grado sr325is (upgrade from rubbish bose Q102s). I've been looking around for the best DAC and amp combo and have narrowed the field to the Nuforce Icon HDP nad Yulong D100. The Nuforce seems to offer the best all around package with a top end USB DAC (as stated on their website, please discuss), top class amp and headphone preamp. However the Yulong has got raving reviews about it's reference quality sound on this site from some serious head fiers, but it's lack of a preamp worries me.

I'll be primarily using top end mp3s from my computer (which has a S/PDIF optical output for 192kHz stereo instead of the limited 96kHz rate accepted by both of the above's usb connections). However I will also be using RAC interconnects from my CD and bluray player (Pioneer, i think it's a BDP 430 or LX53, will check if this affects anything).

Would really appreciate any insights, would also love some advice on cables to use.

Many thanks,

AKKS17

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 47
Bump? I'd like to hear about this too

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 47
I get asked this question rather often, and unfortunately I haven't heard the NuForce so I can't comment directly. As much as I love the Yulong D100 I have no problem recommending the HDP if it is a better fit, mainly due to the pre-amp functionality. HeadphoneAddict enjoys the HDP and I trust him.

Basically I'd say you can't really go wrong with either. Both seem to be very high value devices, and both have been enjoyed by a lot of people on this forum. Just pick the one that has the features, appearance, form factor, etc that you like best.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 47
wow im so confused now. i was going to pick up the D100 and not worry about my old technics 1200 but now I can get the HDP which will allow me to play vinyl

is there simple way i could connect my turntable to the D100?

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:
wow im so confused now. i was going to pick up the D100 and not worry about my old technics 1200 but now I can get the HDP which will allow me to play vinyl

is there simple way i could connect my turntable to the D100?

Sorry, but no. The D100 is mainly a DAC, with a nice built-in amp as a bonus. There are many digital inputs but no analog ones.

As for "which one is better", I have the D100 but not the HDP so I can offer no sonic comparison. But here is a comparison of features:

Yulong D100:
+ good DAC
+ good amp with two 1/4" headphone jacks
+ USB 24/96 digital input
+ S/PDIF digital coaxial input
+ S/PDIF digital toslink input
+ AES/EBU digital XLR input
+ RCA single ended analog line output
+ XLR balanced analog line output
+ built in power supply
+ Backlit LCD display on the front panel

NuForce HDP
+ good DAC
+ good amp with one 1/4" headphone jack
+ RCA / 3.5mm single ended analog line input
+ USB 24/96 digital input
+ S/PDIF digital coaxial input
+ S/PDIF digital mini toslink input
+ RCA single ended analog line output
+ RCA single ended analog preamp output

The major differences that stand out to me are:
  1. D100 has balanced output, and the HDP does not.
  2. D100 has built in power supply, and the HDP uses a wall wart.
  3. HDP has analog input, and the D100 does not.
  4. HDP has preamp analog output, and the D100 does not.
  5. HDP will mute the RCA outputs when headphones are plugged in. D100 will engage all of its outputs all the time.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 47
Will the HDP power supply effect me being in Australia?

I know I'm going to get a quality product either way but it doesn't make my desition any easier

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 47

Quote:
Will the HDP power supply effect me being in Australia?

I know I'm going to get a quality product either way but it doesn't make my desition any easier

I'm in Australia as well and am considering the Nuforce HDP. On the product webpage - http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php - the power supply is stated as: "AC adaptor (15V, 1.6A, 100-240VAC)", so it should work anywhere in the world voltage-wise, provided you have the right power plug (or appropriate adapter).

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 47
Think I'm going to stick with the nuforce as it has all the inputs I want and a bit cheaper. I'll will come back when I'm actually going to buy it but not a day sooner, I've wasted too much time in these forums

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 47
I had the nuforce hdp, the dac was good,on the neutral to bright side, but coupled with the amp which was even more brighter.  It was too much.
Needed something with a little more power and neutral to warm side.

Decided to return hdp and order the yulong.  due to chinese new year, there's some what of a delay but should get them in two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back