NPR - Whale farming
Apr 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

flashnolan

500+ Head-Fier
Two days ago NPR (National Public Radio) had to apologize for their attitude in a recent report on the whale farming in Belleville, IL. They reported this is the first whale farm here in the states. The technology is based on techniques based in Europe. Every portion of the whale is farmed. The blubber is used for heating and the even the bones are used. One guy even built a deck out of the bones. Well it seems many people did not feel that they were sensitive enough. They aired many comments of people outraged at the treatment of these gentle creatures.

I listen to NPR regularly, but I did not remember a whale farming report. I though I must have just missed it. Well, on April 02 NPR reported that the whole thing was made up as an April Fools joke. I should have known; NPR got me hook, line, and blubber. In my defense the story had "credibility" since they did not report the actual story, but rather just the "comments" of people outraged by it.

Anyone else fall for this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 23
They also did one on studding and otherwise decorating rare historic musical instrument; it was pathetic.
mad.gif
The lefties running NPR just have too much time and money on their hands. Their favorite joke is this type of "gotcha" which they believe demonstrates they are smarter than everybody else. Wrong again. We stopped contributing several years ago due to their woeful inadequacies in music and news programming. Hopefully other will reject NPR's continued arrogance when their donation dunning letters arrive.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Lets not get political about it Old Pa. Thanks

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 23
Check out this classic from Joey Skaggs that got all the bunny huggers a twitter and showed their concern to be little more than prejudice.
Great stuff!

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this classic from Joey Skaggs that got all the bunny huggers a twitter and showed their concern to be little more than prejudice.

Lovely! You just can't make this stuff up!
popcorn.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a recent report on the whale farming in Belleville, IL.

Anyone else fall for this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Uhm...no?

But I have to say joking about a guy making a deck outta whale bones would cause amusement in my outer fringe Right-Wing friends and ire in my outer fringe Left-Wing friends. so...not sure how NPR is overly leftist on this one...

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We stopped contributing several years ago due to their woeful inadequacies in music and news programming.

Have you also stopped listening?

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 23
I heard it, but didn't bite. NPR runs a April Fool's story every year and I tuned in specifically to listen for it.

Old Pa, you might want to see if your local station carries extra channels on HD. I picked up a Sony XDR-F1HD for $50 (after rebate) awhile back and can pick up music only channels from the local NPR affiliates. That aside, the Sony HD has an excellent analog tuner - one of the best I've used.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you also stopped listening?

Of course, just not during "beg week" or when the weirdly esoteric music or Garrison Squealer is on
eek.gif
It's one of the few taxes I do not have to pay.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa, you might want to see if your local station carries extra channels on HD.

Interesting, I'll keep it in mind for when the NAD receiver breaks.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 23
very funny. i like NPR too. i am a godless liberal.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 23
I listen to NPR religiously, WFAE from Charlotte, NC. I enjoy the talk show hosts, Terry Gross, Diane Rehmes and here in Charlotte Mike Collins. I also like the station because of their news reporting. They report it from the prospective of those the news/event effects and from both from a conservative and liberal viewpoint.

All too often NPR gets labeled by Conservatives as liberal, instead of a balanced news outlet. I think this is because conservatives can't stand anyone reporting anything from a different prospective than their own narrow view allows. If it's not the way they see it, it's wrong.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All too often NPR gets labeled by Conservatives as liberal, instead of a balanced news outlet. I think this is because conservatives can't stand anyone reporting anything from a different prospective than their own narrow view allows. If it's not the way they see it, it's wrong.

I think you'll find that works both ways and these days terms such as "left & right" "liberal and conservative" are all losing meaning.
You can get reactionary fascists and censors on both sides.
frown.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 23
I also find them to be balanced more so than anything on U.S. TV news, though i haven't watch any tv for a year now (only shows on the net like hulu). Sometimes they do sound more liberal other times more conservative but most npr listeners (like ourselves) are better able to judge such stories. I find some of their news very funny and I get a kick in the irony of their voices on some stories. I think the idea that they feel smarter than others is probably based on the fact that they have to keep up with the majority of their listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back