November Stereophile Reviews Cables
Oct 16, 2001 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61
Just received my November 2001 issue of Stereophile, and in this issue they review Nordost's top-of-the-line Valhalla interconnects and speaker cables, as well as Synergistic Research cables with active shielding.

Both reviews were positive.

There is also a very interesting article on cable theory by Hervé Delétraz, in which he "examines whether impedance matching in audio is myth or reality."

Oct 16, 2001 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 61
Quote:

Both reviews were positive

Not surprising. I mean, has there ever been a negative cable review in Stereophile? I assume it was Tweak Geek Scull.

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 61
Save your pennies boys, 1 meter Nordost Vahalla interconnect
pair is only $3300, he he he.

There is post at Audiogon comparing Acoustic Zen Silver Ref at $900 to Vahalla at $3300 and AZ compares quite well, I think most mere mortals will be better off with AZ and using the savings for other upgrades.

BTW it could be worse, NBS Statement ICs are a mere $6000 for
1m pair.

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle

Not surprising. I mean, has there ever been a negative cable review in Stereophile? I assume it was Tweak Geek Scull.

They didn't like the Alphacore Micropurl Silver in last month's issue (although good things were said about the Micropurl Copper and TQ2)..

Oct 16, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 61
I just got that issue last night and I read most of it today.

The article on cable theory by Hervé Delétraz, in which he "examines whether impedance matching in audio is myth or reality." was great.

It also answers the question as to why MIT cables have 3 different impedance types for their high-end cables.

But, the problem would be if you buy a perfect maych IC for your system , then down the road change your amp or whathaveyou, would you have to get a new pair of IC everytime you do this.

I wish that I could hear a demo to see just how big or small the difference is that can be heard.

The reviews were good as well, and they didn't tell you to run out and buy those cables if you remember, but names other cables in the line that were a better bang for your buck, which was nice.

Edited.
P.S. hey Jude, ever thought about adding a spell check to the boards?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

BTW it could be worse, NBS Statement ICs are a mere $6000 for
1m pair.

If you think this is outrageous, a 1 m pair of Transparent's new Opus MM balanced interconnects retail for a measly $14000.
confused.gif

The carbon fiber enclosed networks look cool, but I wonder what their marketing folks were smoking when they set the price. An interconnect that costs more than the Sennheiser big "O". Imagine that.

Oct 17, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 61
I can't decide whether or not to subscribe to Stereophile. They have some good information, but I'm not sure they've ever made a truly scathing review... Anyway, most of the products are waaaay expensive. And the tweaks get pretty close to placebo territory..

Oct 17, 2001 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 61
The Opus MM series is Transparent's new top-of-the-line. Yes, there is an Opus MM speaker cable which has been out for a few months. Cost: $26000 for an 8 ft. pair (insert sound of jaw hitting floor). When they were first introduced, they had a price tag of $23,500, but, from what I've been told, it was raised on Sept. 1 because demand was higher than expected.
confused.gif
There must be a lot of people out there using Wilson Audio's X1 Grand SLAMMs, or similarly priced speakers, who upgraded their Reference XL speaker cables.

The Opus MM balanced interconnects are brand new and, for some reason, Transparent hasn't placed any info pertaining to them on their web site yet. I know they exist because I was given the opportunity to audition a pair. To top things off, there's even a label on the box listing the specific components for which they were supposedly optimized. E.g., a Mark Levinson No. 30.6 DAC connected to a Mark Levinson No. 32 preamp.

I find all this amusing.

Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
The Transparent Cable Opus MM is a speaker cable, AFAIK.

The Transparent Audio Reference XL Interconnect is their top of the line at $4300 (single-ended) and $8000 (balanced) per meter pair.

http://www.transparentcable.com/

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/t...eferencexl.htm

Oct 17, 2001 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

I believe terriblysorry have a pair (but he does have the Stax Omega II), may be he can post his views on bthe i/c and the headphones.

I'll scribble a few words this weekend.

Oct 17, 2001 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 61
Which reminds me, how much do those Tara Labs THE ZERO cost again? All I remember about the price was that it made good on the cable's name, as that's how much you'll have left in your wallet after you buy a pair.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back