November Stereophile Reviews Cables
Nov 29, 2001 at 3:26 PM Post #61 of 61
There's no doubt that cables do alter the sound of a system.
I just think that many people feel that higher price is always
"better sound" nothing could be farther from the truth. Some high priced cables sound good, some lower priced cables sound better.
It's all system dependent. For me it was hearing the amazing difference between SET and push-pull designs in tube amps.
Seems to me that we should be pursuing the sound of real unamplified music not the artificial "Hi-Fi" sound that so many reviewers and magazines push.
Once a month I make a date to listen to the chamber music put on by the faculty of a locale state university close to my home.
When I get home if I'm not hearing that same timbre that same feeling of timing and dynamics, then I know that something is wrong. I think we should be honest about what out reference is.
If we like the overdubbed multitracked stuff that floods the airways then thats fine. It is not however what real music sounds like. And huge garden hose speaker cables that cost the same as a good used car are laughable.choose wisely. Art Dudley has some good insights on this topic in listener magazine.
10 years ago I was after the biggest krell/Levinson rig I could lay. my hands on. After obtaing this goal I found myself disinterested in the music. Sure it played really loud and had deep bass that shook the walls all the Hi-Fi stuff but it didn't play tunes it didn't extend that emotional link with the players. These days It's low powered simple amps and efficient speakers. theres music to be had at home but it is elusive.
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back