Not your Mom's HF-2 (with Pictures)
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

HK_sends

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everybody, I just got in a pair of the new run of HF-2 and I noticed there's a bit of a difference that will set them apart from the original run.  To begin with, I owned one of the first run HF-2s (#44) before passing it on to another Head-fi'er so he could enjoy the opportunity to have some unique headphones.  While I had a little regret, that was quashed when John Grado and Todd from TTVJ announced a second run of HF-2 for our expanding community.

Of course, I jumped right in and barring some delay, finally got a pair of the second run cans today (#1019...seems they started the second run at 1000).  The box was once again signed by John Grado, but I noticed the earpieces looked a little different.  Taking them out of the box, I find the build quality is definitely up to par (possibly better than my old ones).  But the Metal earcup pieces are not the same as the older HF-2s.

The older metal cups were smooth and shiny and the engraved lettering appeared to be dark against the light metal.  The new cups have a matte finish due to texturing and makes the back of the cup look like it has a slightly darker ring (definitely not a manufacturing gaffe).  The sides of the cups are lighter but still matte and textured (possibly from the anodizing).  The telltale was the lettering which is again engraved but now looks light against the dark metal. Understand that these are subtle and not overly obvious differences, but they will be noticeable to people who have seen the original run HF-2s.

The GS-1000 "Bagels" in the first picture are mine.  The HF-2s come with the "bowl" pads like the RS-1s.

So, there are distinctive differences between the first run and the second (except the "F1", which was deliberately not fixed).  This will allow Head-fi'ers to tell which run (or edition) they have.  Personally, I like the change and am happy to keep this second edition HF-2.

I'm burning it in now and will add pictures as soon as I can get some good light to show off the differences.

Thought you might be interested...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 25
So the "F1" is fixed.  Interested to read after your post burn in impressions.  I wonder if they changed the metal slightly; thus may change the tonality of the given sound.  Hmmm. I kind of regret canceling my order I placed back in June.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 25
No, the F1 is not fixed, it was left that way deliberately (according to Todd).  It still says "HEAD-F1"

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
So the "F1" is fixed.  Interested to read after your post burn in impressions.  I wonder if they changed the metal slightly; thus may change the tonality of the given sound.  Hmmm. I kind of regret canceling my order I placed back in June.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 25
I can't wait to see some pics of the new run. Depending on the change I might have to see if I can still get in on the second run.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 25
HK sends- I'd be curious as to any listening differences you hear.  Based on what you've written so far, sounds like it might be only asthetic changes.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
HK sends- I'd be curious as to any listening differences you hear.  Based on what you've written so far, sounds like it might be only asthetic changes.

Hi Kevin,

So far I only have about eight hours of burn-in on them, but I believe the sound is developing just like the originals.  In that short space of time, the bass is already starting to bloom, the highs are a little sibilant and the mids are as forward as I remember.  I heard a lot of detail that I don't hear on my Markl Modded Denon D2000s.  All I know is that I zoned out to them for a good two or three hours even at this early stage.  Give them about 60-100 hours and things will settle down and smooth out.  After that, they should still continue to improve but it will be more subtle.  All that is based on the previous ones I had, which even after 250 hours, still seemed to be evolving. Full Disclosure: My opinion of the sound is based on using the GS-1000 "bagel" pads.  I can't use the stock bowls for comfort reasons.

Bottom line is so far, I think the changes are only asthetic.  Of course it's all my humble opinion and your mileage may vary.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 25
 HK_ sends-  Whew.  :)  I have one of the new batch coming, and I didn't want to have to worry about trying to track down a set from an earlier batch if somehow the sound quality changed.

Hee, hee.  I also have the bagel pads and the flats coming from TTVJ too.  :-D

Thank you so much for your detailed comments !!

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 25
     Quote:
Wow. Nice. How long did it take Todd to send them to you since placing the order?

I placed my order on 28 June so it was a good while, but I was really in no hurry (I had other cans).  All the delays were out of Todd's control so I wasn't concerned.
However, now that they are shipping, you should receive them a lot sooner when you order.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 25
Very interesting read. I actually don't mind F1 "mistake" since I like  F1
smile.gif

Have them ordered recently, waiting patiently. Never head them before, in fact I'm only familiar with 60's and 325is. But from what i read here, HF2 should make a nice couple with my D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back