Not that impressed with Sennheiser HD-555 ( modded ) - could they need a amp perhaps ?
Oct 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

C0rnholio

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Senn HD-555. They were in absolute mint condition, haven't been used much - also they have had the "595 mod" done by the previous owner as I have opened them both and checked.

I am not very pleased with the overall sound. I am no audio geek and my sound "rigs" consist of either an iPhone 4 ( which in my opinion has an incredible sound quality output ) or a home PC with Fortissimo 4 sound card + Pioneer AV Reciever ( VSX-405RDS MK II ). I find the sound on the 555s to be very neutral, with kind a dull base response and not so clear highs. I also own a pair of AKG K181 DJ to compare them with. While the level of detail is fine on the Senns, \ I find the AKGs to be better in every other aspect : punchier cleaner bass and much more crispier highs and vocals. Also the IEMs I'm using ( Brainwavz ProAlpha ) seem to take on the Senns on every level - although I'm not sure an open headphones vs IEM is quite a good comparing.

I don't want to over crowd this thread as I already have opened another one regarding an USB DAC/Amp and I have more details there:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574828/cheap-usb-dac-solution-behringer-uca202-or-fiio-products-mainly-for-sennheiser-hd-555-vs-akg-k181-dj

Will the 555s feel any different with an amp as my home PC source is not that great when it comes to SQ and the iPhone doesn't seem to be very comfortable driving the 555s ? Or this is the "normal" sound of these 5xx Senns : very neutral/dull.

I do WANT to love the Senns as they feel absolutely superb on my head even after hours of use... but... :)

Thanks

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Although I may not add much, I purchased a pair of Sennheiser 598's about eight months ago, not a month or two after I had purchased and kept the Grado SR60i after auditioning it and the SR225i. Unfortunately I decided to return the Sennheiser 598s because I just felt as they were too laid back, they weren't really engaging to listen to at all. 

Just my 2cents. Perhaps you should try a Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm, or an SR225i by Grado. The 225i is a very fun can to listen too, but the DT 880 is a bit more neutral all around, and it's comfort is top notch. If your price range is limited to around the HD 555 area, give the SR80i a try as well!

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Honestly, an amp isn't going to help you that much since the HD-555s are not very hard to drive to begin with. I also believe that your source is fine (Ironically the iphone 4 motivated me to buy a dac/amp since it sounded so much better than my computer).

Most likely the case is that the HD-555's sound signature isn't for you. You might want to go for a different colored headphone and actually audition them before you buy them because this hobby is really subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back