[Not-So-Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design's Lab I (1500 Dollar Legacy)
Nov 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #78 of 151
  Very much so!

UPDATE:
Review coming later this month/early next month on the Heaven 7 & 8! 

Wow. This is almost insane right now. 
blink.gif

Only God knows how you manage to pull this off. That, and maybe the admins...

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #85 of 151
Hey, does anyone use the Lab1 with any of the AK players? Impressions?

I have an AK120 which I don't particularly like the Lab 1 with. The soundstage is a little closed in and the Lab 1 definitely doesn't reach it's full potential. I have tried it with the AK120 II and wasn't overly impressed either. With the AK240 however the Lab 1 really shines, extremely detailed, great imaging, separation and soundstage, very nice synergy. I use my Lab 1's with a Calyx M which has amazing synergy, but with the M the Lab 1's have a more laid back, cohesive, and atmospheric sound, sacrificing the micro detail and separation of the AK240. I would love to pickup a 240 but can't justify the price given the M/Lab 1 already sound excellent.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #86 of 151
  I have an AK120 which I don't particularly like the Lab 1 with. The soundstage is a little closed in and the Lab 1 definitely doesn't reach it's full potential. I have tried it with the AK120 II and wasn't overly impressed either. With the AK240 however the Lab 1 really shines, extremely detailed, great imaging, separation and soundstage, very nice synergy. I use my Lab 1's with a Calyx M which has amazing synergy, but with the M the Lab 1's have a more laid back, cohesive, and atmospheric sound, sacrificing the micro detail and separation of the AK240. I would love to pickup a 240 but can't justify the price given the M/Lab 1 already sound excellent.

It is still very early days (day 2...) but the Aclear Porta NXT-2AK may be just what the doctor ordered. My initial impression of the M > Aclear Porta > Lab 1 is good. It puts air into the soundstage layering and increases the clarity. As I said in the M thread, you do lose a bit of that Calyx M cream. With the Lab 1 already being so rich and thick, I think that the combination is working.

I need to listen more and I will do so tonight.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #87 of 151

love the 240's soundstage more than Calyx M's though:p
I like everything about the M except for the fact that the battery last 4 hours are so which is a joke imo for a $1000 player.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #88 of 151
Hey, does anyone use the Lab1 with any of the AK players? Impressions?

AK240 + FI-BA-SS is perfect but I can't help you with LAB1.
Tried the BA-SS with iBasso, Fiio, and other players but none came even close to the 240.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #90 of 151
love the 240's soundstage more than Calyx M's though:p
I like everything about the M except for the fact that the battery last 4 hours are so which is a joke imo for a $1000 player.
Battery life is indeed terrible! It severely restricts portability for me as many a time, I've brought it out only to find it has ran out of juice...incredibly annoying :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back