[Not-So-Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design's Lab I (1500 Dollar Legacy)
Nov 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #46 of 151

The SS is comparatively brighter and leaner than the LAB I, which comes across as richer and fuller sounding. The SS is pretty aggressive/energetic in the treble vs. the more laid-back LAB, so for this reason, I feel it's a pretty temperamental phone. It'll shine with some recordings and come across as harsh on others. For this reason, the LAB comes across as a much better all arounder, since it's more forgiving. That's not to say that the LAB will gloss over anything, as you'll be cognizant of the fact that an unideal recording isn't the best. The LAB just won't call attention to that fact the way that the SS would; it's well mannered in its honesty. With that said, the SS is probably at my threshold in terms of brightness. I actually love it for the energy it brings to a recording as guitars sound nice and dirty, drums just sound fantastically snappy and dynamic, and strings just spring to life; it's the rare case where a more U shaped sig resonates with me. The elevated treble on the SS makes details a tad more intelligible, but upon close listening, I don't feel that the LAB loses much of anything against it in terms of resolution. To put into more nebulous yin/yang terms, the SS is the overly crisp digital to the LAB's analog. I love the hell out of both really for their keenly introspective qualities. 

Thanks for the post. This clears up a lot of things for me. Only gripe for me is the crappy cable with the FI-BA-SS. I would love to have the same cable as the LAB on the SS. But then I'm not about to run around with it plugged into an iPhone on a bus or something:p
Seems like my sound preference leans towards the SS. I had a long listen with it and the AK240 and it blows all my previous thoughts on what IEMs can do. I plan to get the AK240 + SS ASAP!

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #47 of 151
LOL. I'm the exact opposite. I used to think, what the hell is FAD thinking with this garbage, spaghetti thin cable? It's actually very similar to the cable used on the Zero Audio Tenore, which I too derided. After spending time with both however, I've really come around on it since the cable is extremely light, and exhibits very little noise and memory.

The LAB's flat cable on the other hand, is the bane of my existence. I'm constantly straightening it out after uncoiling it to make sure it doesn't kink up, and the lack of a neck cinch is just downright puzzling. I had to jerry rig two (!) out of wire twist ties as the cable has a habit of twisting and winding

And yeah, I find the SS's clarity to be downright entrancing. I wish I'd bought it ages ago. If you've got gripes with the cable, the Astell & Kern variant seems to have much beefier cables. Only thing is, according to James(444), the tuning is slightly altered to be slightly warmer and as a result less open.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #48 of 151
LOL. I'm the exact opposite. I used to think, what the hell is FAD thinking with this garbage, spaghetti thin cable? It's actually very similar to the cable used on the Zero Audio Tenore, which I too derided. After spending time with both however, I've really come around on it since the cable is extremely light, and exhibits very little noise and memory.

The LAB's flat cable on the other hand, is the bane of my existence. I'm constantly straightening it out after uncoiling it to make sure it doesn't kink up, and the lack of a neck cinch is just downright puzzling. I had to jerry rig two (!) out of wire twist ties as the cable has a habit of twisting and winding

And yeah, I find the SS's clarity to be downright entrancing. I wish I'd bought it ages ago. If you've got gripes with the cable, the Astell & Kern variant seems to have much beefier cables. Only thing is, according to James(444), the tuning is slightly altered to be slightly warmer and as a result less open.

Wait.. their $3000+ Piano Forte has the same cable lol:p (which is an earbud)
I won't ever take it outside and walk around with it anyway. (unless I win the lottery or something.)
Sennheiser's IE800 looks like you can throw it at 90miles and won't ever break but people say it has terrible microphonics. ( and I confirm it does)
Another reason why I wish the cable was different is because I with I could replace it with a cable that has the A&K balanced end to it so that I can make use of the 2.5mm output.( and make it truly balanced)

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #49 of 151
Haha yes, the PF does share that same spaghetti thin cable design, except that one is sheathed in nylon, not unlike the Radius DDMs cable. Which... Is rather disconcerting given the sheer weight of the PFs housings having to be suspended by this wispy, spider thread thin strand of wire, but again, it stayed out of the way, and exhibited close to zero memory.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #50 of 151
Haha yes, the PF does share that same spaghetti thin cable design, except that one is sheathed in nylon, not unlike the Radius DDMs cable. Which... Is rather disconcerting given the sheer weight of the PFs housings having to be suspended by this wispy, spider thread thin strand of wire, but again, it stayed out of the way, and exhibited close to zero memory.

Might I suggest Kevlar next? 
etysmile.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #53 of 151
  Honestly, I am a big fan of clothing clips (does it look silly? maybe) as it helps to stop the microphonics issue dead in its tracks (for the most part).  
cool.gif

Huh. Well, I really don't like using shirt clips (mostly because I don't know how to use them
tongue.gif
), so if possible, I aim to wear IEMs around the ear. With a LAB 1, though, I don't think it's even possible...

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #54 of 151

More like Angels Hair really. Sometimes I wonder why good cables have to be thick and unwieldy, like the Uber, when FAD could produce such sweet sounds with their unassuming threadlike cables.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #55 of 151
  Honestly, I am a big fan of clothing clips (does it look silly? maybe) as it helps to stop the microphonics issue dead in its tracks (for the most part).  
cool.gif

Nahh.. custom made titanium wire that fits your body outline.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #59 of 151
FWIW, I meant no disrespect to the Uber, it's a great cable for the Ref 1, no doubt. Just feels (practically) like a rope around the neck!

Haha it's no prob.  I'm just quick to put on fire resistant clothing any time cables get mentioned! 
wink_face.gif

Below is my preferred cable choice for any audio setup.  Very effective!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back