Not liking (love/hate) relationship with AKG Q701
Aug 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
As a few of you would know i already have a thread about the Q701 but i thought i'd start another one for a different topic and some different responses.

My previous (still own them) main headphones were the Audio Technica ATH-M50... i love them. The comfort, closed, the sound... I bought the AKG's because they were so cheap on amazon and heard they blew the ATH-M50 out of the water. Before anyone else asks my source is an AV receiver. I've had them for a couple of days now and am not really satisfied. I find the sound to be way too cold and analytical, lack of bass impact is quite noticeable and the treble is quite harsh, i listened to them and the M50s side by side and the AKG's do sound noticeably better but not worth the price better, i am not too satisfied with the comfort, the headband bumps are annoying and if i push them up with my thumb the pads sit and clamp on my jawline. And i do not like how the leak so much, i knew they were open but i can hear them outside my closed door which is an issue. I could soundproof my door but... yeah.

What should i do?
I could get used to them but i don't want to listen to them because of the comfort, leakage, harshness, i just don't know where to start.

I don't want to return or sell them because i know i will regret it later, i just wish i hadn't bought them.

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm reading that you just like the sound signature of the Q701 and the fact that they are not closed cans.  None of that will likely change in time.  The fact of the matter is that the AKG's have a very different sound signature than the M-50.  

EXCEPT--your AV receiver might not be amping them well.  Try them with decent headphone amp (tubes or hybrid if possible--it will tame the highs to some degree) and/or another receiver with a known ability to drive them--like something from the Yamaha Adventage line or a quality classic from the 70's to the mid 80's.  After that you should know

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 12
Hmmm...maybe the sound signature is not to your liking. Because there are so many here who would vouch for the phones...especially if they are amped. Maybe you should try them out on different sources ? Maybe tube amps? U must have done a proper burn in rite ?  Even after all this...if u still do not like them then

My 2 cents:

If you are getting your money back...return them. There is no point in keeping something that you don't quite like. That money can be saved to get something else, which u may end up loving.... maybe you can aim for the HE-400 if u don't quite mind the open backs or DT990s or the new Denon series...once we get proper reviews and feedback from the community.

Just my opinion.

Cheerz!

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Force yourself to listen on the AKG's for a few days so you get used to the sound signature. (you will.) Some people call this prodecure with a funny name "burn in" btw. Then go back to the M50. If you still think M50 is better, keep it and return the AKG's (?)

You may also try to add slight bass EQ to the AKG's, something like 2-5dB under 100hz. They are made quite flat afterall, since they are meant for studio use. But since you aren't mixing you can boost the bass a bit to your own preference, as long as it doesn't sacrifice mids. 

Try them with decent headphone amp (tubes or hybrid if possible--it will tame the highs to some degree) and/or another receiver with a known ability to drive them--like something from the Yamaha Adventage line or a quality classic from the 70's to the mid 80's.  After that you should know

Wouldn't those vintage amps cause huge coloration because of the usual high output impedances that were used back in the day? The AKG's are 62ohm only.

Edit: Old thread fail.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 12
oh i was extremely unimpressed with my 701's the first time i heard them, give them time, they take a while to burn in, i suggest leaving music playing on them for a day or 2. they will definitely warm up to you.

also, depending on your receivers, some receivers do have a dry sound to them that will make the akgs sound quite lifeless. however, a nice tube amp will take care of that, or a ss amp that pairs well with the akgs

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 12
could be that an amp will improve them, but you might go and spend money on an amp for them and still find the bass lacking and the treble over the top, as many folks do. It's possible that their sound signature is simply not right for you. You might find one of the warmer, bass heavy phones more to your liking. I have the hd580(600) which is warmer, fuller, and bassier, and still gives enough treble and detail for my taste. I'm sure forum members could recommend lots of other phones to choose from if you want to go for a phone with a darker, bassier sound signature. If you don't like their sound signature after a few days, why force yourself to keep them....just because someone else tells you how good they are? That's to their ears, not yours.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
But doesn't the graph show that the bass area is a bit emphasized?

If you look at the FR graph for most headphones their will be a slight bass emphasis as their is no headphone that I know of completely borderline flat on the eq line. To my ear's both all the K/Q70X's sound the same, the Q701 maybe bit rounder sounding (the treble range), otherwise I guess it's ok to say their is a slight subtle bit more bass emphasis on the Q series compared to the K701/2. But by all means they are not bassy headphones at all period. I still don't know why AKG made so many variants of the K701 line, if they fixed the annoying plastic sounding treble range, it would be a pretty good headphone.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 12
agreed, the akg's have neutral to light bass, and aren't as bright as people say they are, they also seem to have a very slight warmth in the midrange (the k701).

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
If you look at the FR graph for most headphones their will be a slight bass emphasis as their is no headphone that I know of completely borderline flat on the eq line. To my ear's both all the K/Q70X's sound the same, the Q701 maybe bit rounder sounding (the treble range), otherwise I guess it's ok to say their is a slight subtle bit more bass emphasis on the Q series compared to the K701/2. But by all means they are not bassy headphones at all period. I still don't know why AKG made so many variants of the K701 line, if they fixed the annoying plastic sounding treble range, it would be a pretty good headphone.

So the treble is the most emphasized?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back