Not impressed by the LCD-2 but LOVE the LCD-3. Anyone else?
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Golila3

Formerly known as MellowBS
I first auditioned both headphones at my local headphone store. Due to finance issues, I only considered the LCD2s and I didn't really like it, but the next time I went to the store, I decided to put on the LCD3 just for a fun and I was AMAZED! 

I just got my LCD3 today and I borrowed a LCD2 from a friend. I still find the LCD2 a little boring and the LCD3 really amazing. Anyone else feel this way?

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 40
LCD3 are picky with source/headphone amp from my point of view. What headphone amp was driving them? 

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:
I happen to really enjoy the LCD-2, but I do love the LCD-3s. 

Yeah... That's exactly what I found weird. Obviously, most people would prefer the LCD3s if the price isn't a problem, but what's weird about me is that i Just simply didn't like the LCD-2. I thought it sounded a bit boring and not engaging at all.

Quote:
LCD3 are picky with source/headphone amp from my point of view. What headphone amp was driving them? 

I used the Schiit Lyr to drive to two when I was in the store, but I am using a Schiit Mj to drive both right now.
Edit: I am using a MACBOOK --->SPDIF---> Gungnir right now.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 40
Umm. Some folks seems to enjoy one over another. Both are great but different flavors, personally i love the LCD-2 rev2. 
(probably need to spend more time the the LCD-3, only used them for less than 10 hours) it was not critical listening, only enjoying the music. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 40
Same here, I've only used the LCD3 for about 10 hours and the LCD2 for less than 5 hours. I suspect that living with both of them for a long time will slowly close the gap to a certain extent since they sound really similar. I am just not sure why I only like the LCD3 even though they sound really similar.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 40
Well that's rather sad because the LCD-3's have really bad noise issues while the LCD-2's perform better than anything else. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:
Please explain? Noise issues? 

Most likely the wife making all that awful noise after finding how much money was spent on LCD-3.
blink.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:
Well that's rather sad because the LCD-3's have really bad noise issues while the LCD-2's perform better than anything else. 

I also find the LCD3 with lots of noise issues. Especially whenever my mom sees it. My JH-16s created about 80dB of noise when I took it to school too.
But noise? Please explain, I find both headphones really clean sounding and I do not sense any noise while i'm playing music through it,

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 40
I too was never a fan of the LCD-2, but loved the LCD-3 once I got used to them. I guess the LCD-2 just lacked the extra air and resolution it needed to make them sound good; they were too dark for me.  Too bad I couldn't afford keeping the LCD-3 with everything I own
redface.gif
I'm missing them already, I hope you enjoy them Golila
tongue_smile.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 40
I think some might agree that what ever perceived lack of resolution or "air" the LCD-2  "might" exhibit ,(in the ear of the beholder,imo), can be effectively delt with by upgrading the stock cables to the likes of what's offered by Toxic,Moon Audio.etc..... In my case have the Cardas Clear and it really opened up the sound substantially compared to the stock cables. Not a night and day difference, but a very audible one. I have a hunch I might be getting very close to the sound of the LCD-3.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:
Yeah... That's exactly what I found weird. Obviously, most people would prefer the LCD3s if the price isn't a problem, but what's weird about me is that i Just simply didn't like the LCD-2. I thought it sounded a bit boring and not engaging at all.

I used the Schiit Lyr to drive to two when I was in the store, but I am using a Schiit Mj to drive both right now.
Edit: I am using a MACBOOK --->SPDIF---> Gungnir right now.

I actually find the LCD-2 better on Lyr (more synergistic). But the LCD-3 is sublime w/Mojo.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:
I first auditioned both headphones at my local headphone store. Due to finance issues, I only considered the LCD2s and I didn't really like it, but the next time I went to the store, I decided to put on the LCD3 just for a fun and I was AMAZED! 

I just got my LCD3 today and I borrowed a LCD2 from a friend. I still find the LCD2 a little boring and the LCD3 really amazing. Anyone else feel this way?

Is this with regards to the revision 2's, or the original rev. 1? Just curious cause I wasn't a huge fan of the rev 1's when I first heard them either. I have yet to listen to the rev 2's or LCD-3's though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back