Not impressed by the LCD-2 but LOVE the LCD-3. Anyone else?
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
I listened to both the LCD2s and 3s before buying the 2s.   switching back and forth several times I could hear a difference in the two but the difference wasn't necessarily any better IMHO so I didn't see the need to drop an extra grand on the 3s.  

"The LCD-2 I'm using is currently using the Audeze balanced cable, so I suppose a cable upgrade could benefit the Headphones."

I definitely don't believe in the cable fairy.  I tried 3 different cables out on my LCD2s last year at the bay area headfi show and didn't hear the least bit of difference between them and my stock cables.   
Let's be honest, people who spend hundreds on a cable expect to get better sound so that's what they hear. If that makes them happy that's fine with me but I gave an honest attempt to hear any sort of difference from the stock cables to a Cardas, Norse or Nordic something? and one other and they sounded identical. 

It might be the fact that the stock cable is already of good quality, which is very likely to be true for such hi-end headphones. But trust me, cables can make a huge leap in sound quality. I used to be a bit skeptical on that but I decide to give it a go and what I can hear is SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound quality. Both my Ultrasone headphones, JHA monitor and HiFiMAN HE-500.

In fact, it might be a good news to you for not believing the cable fairy as that could save you considerable amount of money.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:
Truely strange, I'm definitely the first. One of my friend would be the second. I wouldn't suggest the $1000 upgrade that much if you already love the LCD-2. I got the LCD-3 instead of the LCD-2 because I didn't like the LCD-2.

WOW!! Is it because the LCD-3 is a lot more expensive due to tax or is the HD800 just a lot cheaper there?

Sennheiser is located in Germany (EU) = you pay around 1200-1250USD (final price) + Audeze is located in the US = you pay around 2500-2600USD because of tax, shipping (that is applied to the final price by sellers) etc.

The price of HD800 is the same inside EU as of LCD-2...

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:
I first auditioned both headphones at my local headphone store. Due to finance issues, I only considered the LCD2s and I didn't really like it, but the next time I went to the store, I decided to put on the LCD3 just for a fun and I was AMAZED! 

I just got my LCD3 today and I borrowed a LCD2 from a friend. I still find the LCD2 a little boring and the LCD3 really amazing. Anyone else feel this way?

I feel the exact same way as you do.  I had the LCD-2 first.  Thought they was OK. and not really impressed.  Then I got the LCD-3s after hearing them on the MJ  (The two together for the first time).  I was like wow they sound many times better than the LCD-2s.  

So yes the LCD-3 fixed everything I didn't like about the LCD-2s.  So cost aside it's not even close for me.  Cost in play.  For me they're still worth it when you really are not satisfied with the other headphone.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

I fell the exact same way as you do.  I had the LCD-2 first.  Thought they was OK. and not really impressed.  Then I got the LCD-3s after hearing them on the MJ  (The two together for the first time).  I was like wow they sound many times better than the LCD-2s.  

So yes the LCD-3 fixed everything I didn't like about the LCD-2s.  So cost aside it's not even close for me.  Cost in play.  For me they're still worth it when you really are not satisfied with the other headphone.

May I ask what amps did you hear the LCD2's on?
Did you ever try them on the Mjolnir?

I am still on the fence as too whether to purchase the LCD3's.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

May I ask what amps did you hear the LCD2's on?
Did you ever try them on the Mjolnir?

I am still on the fence as too whether to purchase the LCD3's.

The Mjolnir and the BHA-1 make both the LCDs sound Goooood.

Solude gave up his LCD-3 to go back to the LCD-2.2.  I would never do that.  Never heard any Audio-GD amps.  If they are anything like the MJ or the BHA-1 you can't go wrong with either.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #36 of 40
Owning both LCD's and now acquiring the Mjolnir, one of the best values has to be the LCD2r2 and the Mjolnir. I still prefer the LCD 3's, it sounds more engaging, but in just budgetary sense, I really can't see how anything on the market right now can beat the LCD2r2 and the Mjolnir in  terms of price to performance. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #38 of 40
Well, had a set of LCD-3s when they first came out and ended up trading them for HD-800s +$$. Bought another set last month because I wanted to A/B against a set of LCD-2 r2 (w/old connectors).

Long story short, the LCD-3s sound amazing, but not $2k - escpecially considering I picked-up my LCD-2s for 1/3 the price.

Using a Woo Audio WA6SE wit Sophia Elec Princess rectifier and RCA drive tubes. Might try some different drive tubes with the LCD-3s, but the current set-up with the LCD-2s is really what I keep going back to.

The LCD-3s are only a month old, but I was under the impression that orthos did not require/benefit from "break-in".

Any hoot, if the LCD-3s don't start sounding like $2k, they will be on the chopping block so I can get a set of Colorware HD-800s.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Owning both LCD's and now acquiring the Mjolnir, one of the best values has to be the LCD2r2 and the Mjolnir. I still prefer the LCD 3's, it sounds more engaging, but in just budgetary sense, I really can't see how anything on the market right now can beat the LCD2r2 and the Mjolnir in  terms of price to performance. 

Agree totally. There is better to be had, but for the money spent one would be hard pressed to build a better system than this. To each his own I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back