Not impressed by the LCD-2 but LOVE the LCD-3. Anyone else?
Jan 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:
I too was never a fan of the LCD-2, but loved the LCD-3 once I got used to them. I guess the LCD-2 just lacked the extra air and resolution it needed to make them sound good; they were too dark for me.  Too bad I couldn't afford keeping the LCD-3 with everything I own
redface.gif
I'm missing them already, I hope you enjoy them Golila
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah...I do notice that the LCD-2 is missing something when I put them on, probably some extra bass texture and some extra air. I also find the LCD-2 way too dark; I do find the LCD-3 quite dark too since I'm used to the sound of the HD800 and the Grados but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm really glad I bought the LCD-3 from you
size]

Quote:
I actually find the LCD-2 better on Lyr (more synergistic). But the LCD-3 is sublime w/Mojo.

Umm... Can't really remember the sound of the Lyr+LCD-2, but the LCD-3 with MJ is just, as you said, Awesome! This Schiit Mj is seriously awesome! it also made my HD800 sound a lot better than my Lyr + HD800. 

Quote:
Is this with regards to the revision 2's, or the original rev. 1? Just curious cause I wasn't a huge fan of the rev 1's when I first heard them either. I have yet to listen to the rev 2's or LCD-3's though...

I believe this is a Rev.2 LCD2. I've never heard the Rev1

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:
I think some might agree that what ever perceived lack of resolution or "air" the LCD-2  "might" exhibit ,(in the ear of the beholder,imo), can be effectively delt with by upgrading the stock cables to the likes of what's offered by Toxic,Moon Audio.etc..... In my case have the Cardas Clear and it really opened up the sound substantially compared to the stock cables. Not a night and day difference, but a very audible one. I have a hunch I might be getting very close to the sound of the LCD-3.

I'm not sure if I am a believer of the cable fairy yet, but I do noticed that my HD800 improved a lot with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. The treble sounds less violent and the mid-bass now have a really nice texture, but a lot of these might be because of the Amp/DAC upgrade instead of the cable upgrade so i'm not sure. The LCD-2 I'm using is currently using the Audeze balanced cable, so I suppose a cable upgrade could benefit the Headphones.(Not my business since I have my LCD-3s and I'm completely broke O.o)

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 40
I listened to both the LCD2s and 3s before buying the 2s.   switching back and forth several times I could hear a difference in the two but the difference wasn't necessarily any better IMHO so I didn't see the need to drop an extra grand on the 3s.  

"The LCD-2 I'm using is currently using the Audeze balanced cable, so I suppose a cable upgrade could benefit the Headphones."

I definitely don't believe in the cable fairy.  I tried 3 different cables out on my LCD2s last year at the bay area headfi show and didn't hear the least bit of difference between them and my stock cables.   
Let's be honest, people who spend hundreds on a cable expect to get better sound so that's what they hear. If that makes them happy that's fine with me but I gave an honest attempt to hear any sort of difference from the stock cables to a Cardas, Norse or Nordic something? and one other and they sounded identical. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 40
More impressions welcome...

But what I find pretty odd is that for some people, LCD-3 are easily 2x better when for others, they are at best 20% better. And for some, LCD-2 rev2 are the better phone. Strange.

As I am very tight on budget, is it better for me to stay with LCD-2 rev2 if I already love them, or are LCD-3 worth 2x price and I should desperately start to save some money? Rational opinions prefered...
tongue_smile.gif
I am thinking of other headphones as well but it seems that only LCD-3 can offer all that I am after.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:
I listened to both the LCD2s and 3s before buying the 2s.   switching back and forth several times I could hear a difference in the two but the difference wasn't necessarily any better IMHO so I didn't see the need to drop an extra grand on the 3s.  

"The LCD-2 I'm using is currently using the Audeze balanced cable, so I suppose a cable upgrade could benefit the Headphones."

I definitely don't believe in the cable fairy.  I tried 3 different cables out on my LCD2s last year at the bay area headfi show and didn't hear the least bit of difference between them and my stock cables.   
Let's be honest, people who spend hundreds on a cable expect to get better sound so that's what they hear. If that makes them happy that's fine with me but I gave an honest attempt to hear any sort of difference from the stock cables to a Cardas, Norse or Nordic something? and one other and they sounded identical. 

Really depends on the upstream gear/amp. The LCD-3s are more finicky with synergy and picky of upstream gear. On say the Schiit Lyr, I can totally understand your impressions. But say on a Liquid Fire, WA22 or GS-X, the difference is much more apparent. And let's not forget the source and DAC.
Quote:

But what I find pretty odd is that for some people, LCD-3 are easily 2x better when for others, they are at best 20% better. And for some, LCD-2 rev2 are the better phone. Strange.

As I am very tight on budget, is it better for me to stay with LCD-2 rev2 if I already love them, or are LCD-3 worth 2x price and I should desperately start to save some money? Rational opinions prefered...
tongue_smile.gif
I am thinking of other headphones as well but it seems that only LCD-3 can offer all that I am after.

In the $1000+ price range, linearity of cost to performance simply doesn't exist. Both are fantastic headphones. But, yes, the LCD-3s are better...but it comes down to what you want to pay for that extra 20% ish in performance. Sadly this area is quite sinister in this hobby. 
size]

In case you're interested, here's a comparative review I wrote between both the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Really depends on the upstream gear/amp. The LCD-3s are more finicky with synergy and picky of upstream gear. On say the Schiit Lyr, I can totally understand your impressions. But say on a Liquid Fire, WA22 or GS-X, the difference is much more apparent. And let's not forget the source and DAC.
In the $1000+ price range, linearity of cost to performance simply doesn't exist. Both are fantastic headphones. But, yes, the LCD-3s are better...but it comes down to what you want to pay for that extra 20% ish in performance. Sadly this area is quite sinister in this hobby. 
size]

In case you're interested, here's a comparative review I wrote between both the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

I've read it several times, let's say more often than Harry Potter saga
tongue.gif

Please, do you think that LCD-3 offer significantly deeper soundstage? More holographic experience? Because this is the only thing I lack with LCD-2 rev2 - more depth... The level of detail, width and even imaging is good enough for me with LCD-2 rev2 (more than good enough to not need to look for 1000USD upgrading). Frequency response is almost perfect to my ears... Like 95% perfect.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:
Strange that you like its width but not depth.  Usually it's the other way around for planar magnetics: lot of depth but not a lot of width.

I haven't said that I do not like the depth... I just find it a bit lacking, in absolute terms. Haven't heard phones like T1 or HD800 to assess how much better it can get.

Width is perfectly fine with LCD-2 rev2... At least for modern music and IMHO.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

I've read it several times, let's say more often than Harry Potter saga
tongue.gif

Please, do you think that LCD-3 offer significantly deeper soundstage? More holographic experience? Because this is the only thing I lack with LCD-2 rev2 - more depth... The level of detail, width and even imaging is good enough for me with LCD-2 rev2 (more than good enough to not need to look for 1000USD upgrading). Frequency response is almost perfect to my ears... Like 95% perfect.

With regards to imaging, I felt that was never the strong suit of the LCD-2s (but never as bad as some would say when they're properly driven with a great upfront source). That said, the imaging is the biggest difference between the two. The LCD-3s image on par with the HE-6s; which is to say pretty good. You don't see many complaining about the HE-6's ability to image...and the LCD-3s are at least on par with them in that regard. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

I haven't said that I do not like the depth... I just find it a bit lacking, in absolute terms. Haven't heard phones like T1 or HD800 to assess how much better it can get.

Width is perfectly fine with LCD-2 rev2... At least for modern music and IMHO.

Just get the HD800's, try them out for a week or so, then return them if they're not to your liking. At least that way, you have a point of comparison for how good the depth can even get in headphones (without resorting to electrostats or esoteric out-of-production models). Then you can evaluate whether or not the LCD-3's will be worth the additional $500 over the HD800's, assuming that their depth is at most as good as the HD800's (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here), while taking into account that the LCD-3 will have a more familiar sound signature that you seem to like along with that.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
Just get the HD800's, try them out for a week or so, then return them if they're not to your liking. At least that way, you have a point of comparison for how good the depth can even get in headphones (without resorting to electrostats or esoteric out-of-production models). Then you can evaluate whether or not the LCD-3's will be worth the additional $500 over the HD800's, assuming that their depth is at most as good as the HD800's (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here), while taking into account that the LCD-3 will have a more familiar sound signature that you seem to like along with that.

Well, getting HD800 in Europe is exactly 2x cheaper than LCD-3...

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

eek... yeah, at that point, I would say just to demo the 800's and if you don't like them, just leave it at that... cause it seems like it's basically just imaging/soundstage/depth you're after right? If the HD800's can't satisfy that area specifically, then yeah... Though, if you're still really curious after that, then at least you can sort of break even by selling both and getting the LCD-3's. The important part of all that being that you actually gain a good point of reference for soundstage.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
eek... yeah, at that point, I would say just to demo the 800's and if you don't like them, just leave it at that... cause it seems like it's basically just imaging/soundstage/depth you're after right? If the HD800's can't satisfy that area specifically, then yeah...

You are probably right... I should give HD800 an audition.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

You are probably right... I should give HD800 an audition.

Both the LCD-3s and HD-800s are fantastic headphones. If soundstaging is very important to you, then that may be the better option. That said, I own both and prefer the LCD-3s. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

Truely strange, I'm definitely the first. One of my friend would be the second. I wouldn't suggest the $1000 upgrade that much if you already love the LCD-2. I got the LCD-3 instead of the LCD-2 because I didn't like the LCD-2.

Quote:

WOW!! Is it because the LCD-3 is a lot more expensive due to tax or is the HD800 just a lot cheaper there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back