Not impressed by the HD555s
Jun 25, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 42
The HD555s are already packed up and dropped off at ups. I'll need do do some more research. At least I now know I don't like the laid back sound.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ StevenBrouwer

Do you use the amped or unamped? Cause I don't see an amp in your sig. From what I've read on the foram amping doesn't do much.

I'm liking the HD555s very much with Blockhead Music by Cavelight. So I'm going to try it out with a few more down tempo type albums. The laid back sound signature is working very well with laid back music lol! It really sounds to "whatever" when it comes to rock, folk and rap.

Worse case scenario I'll return the HD555s for a pair of MS1s. The other worst case scenario is I'll like them for down tempo and end up getting MS-1s for my rock, folk and rap.

I don't have an amp. It sounds pretty good on my x-fi, but it sounds awful on the d2, which despite his high output lacks punch.

With hwc mod I don't mean an amp (to be clear), but that you put some foam in the headphone, the difference is pretty significant and positive to me. I am never going to sell my HD555's :p (that doesn't mean much on head-fi I guess.)

And you right that some hiphop with important bass sound pretty boring. (like snoopdogg) but other hiphop with less important bass (opgezwolle... ) it sounds pretty good IMO.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I think of them too and precisely why I don't like them and won't recommend them for any type of music, not even classical. It lacks intimacy, power and dynamics. Great if you like listening to live music with earmuffs on, or if your preferred concert hall seat is outside of the concert hall with your ears pressed against the doors.

I could not agree more, the HD555 just doesn't do justice to any kind of music with or without an amp. They're one of the worst cans I've ever heard, and personally I wouldn't even take one for free. Digitalbath3737, given your tastes I'd skip the HD595 too. It is a lot better than the HD555 when amped properly, but it still shares some characteristics with the HD555 and the E500s are far better anyway.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 42
I am vice president of the HD555 hater club. Get some MS1s, they are glorious, even directly out of an MP3 player. Wouldn't get the DT770, you'd head from one extreme to the other. And the boombeyer needs lots of juice.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

The HD555s are already packed up and dropped off at ups. I'll need do do some more research. At least I now know I don't like the laid back sound.

LOL! Was I too critical of the HD555?
wink.gif
The annoying thing is, the HD555 doesn't have an expansive soundstage. At least the HD650 gets away with a superbly vast soundstage, great fluid bass and crystal clear highs.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

The sound is extremely laid back, there's no punch and the bass is pretty weak.

Maybe you should be looking into Grado.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #24 of 42
If you don't like the 555s avoid the 595s. They are just a more refined version of the same sound. The only weird thing is that the 555s changed waaay more with burn in than the 595s. It could be that my 555s were irish made and my 595s are china made??? don't know why but the 555s are worth less than ten bucks before burn in. Couldn't listen to them after getting used to the px100 during that time but god holy god! after burning them in they became different headphones altogether. Estimating a ksc75 to rs1 jump of a difference here
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 42
You will find the E500 hard to beat with anything less than Senn 650, AKG701, Beyer DT880 level of headphones with a proper source.

Quit while you are ahead....

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 42
I'm not defending the 555s, but it doesn't even seem like you burned them in. Not to sound critical, but they simply sound like 100-150 dollar headphones. If I were you I'd probably just go ahead and max out all of my creditcards and buy some Senn 650s, K701s, and some DT880s with 5 or so different amps for whatever mood you may be in. ....at least that's what I'd do if I were you :-|

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not defending the 555s, but it doesn't even seem like you burned them in. Not to sound critical, but they simply sound like 100-150 dollar headphones. If I were you I'd probably just go ahead and max out all of my creditcards and buy some Senn 650s, K701s, and some DT880s with 5 or so different amps for whatever mood you may be in. ....at least that's what I'd do if I were you :-|

No I didn't give them a chance to burn in. To be honest I think burn in is a bunch of BS (no offense to those how believe in it). I really don't like the sound signature of the HD555s at all. They sounded good for one album and then when I used that same album on my PX100s to compare they sounded a lot better on the $30 set of headphones. I really don't think price is a factor here.

I'm going to save up a few more bucks and go with the MS2i. I'm looking for forward sound. Not laid back.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

No I didn't give them a chance to burn in. To be honest I think burn in is a bunch of BS (no offense to those how believe in it). I really don't like the sound signature of the HD555s at all. They sounded good for one album and then when I used that same album on my PX100s to compare they sounded a lot better on the $30 set of headphones. I really don't think price is a factor here.

I'm going to save up a few more bucks and go with the MS2i. I'm looking for forward sound. Not laid back.

biggrin.gif
While I'm not bold enough to say it's complete BS, I have yet to hear burn-in myself. I've owned gear which others say burn-in for how ever many hundred hours (eg K701, Hornet) but quite honestly, the sound didn't change that much. Perhaps I wasn't listening hard enough?
rolleyes.gif
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
You will find the E500 hard to beat with anything less than Senn 650, AKG701, Beyer DT880 level of headphones with a proper source.

Quit while you are ahead....

The HD650 and K701 (haven't heard/owned DT880) sound much better than the E500 IMO. They may not be able to rock as hard, but both have superior detail and offer a higher level of refinement. This is particularly evident in classical music. For rock, the E500 pulls ahead because of its thunderous bass and smooth mids, something the K701 cannot match. If only the treble was more prominent
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #30 of 42
Maybe just cut all the bs and save up for some really sweet headphones like the open darths. I went through EVERY headphone from the k1000 down before settling on the open darths.

I had to sell them due to my tmj screwing up my right ear for real headphones so be kind to my sad self as I relegated to speakers and brief usage of on ears like the koss sportapro.

Otherwise the MS1 will do nicely for your tastes on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back