Not impressed by the HD555s
Jun 27, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to sell them due to my tmj screwing up my right ear for real headphones

What
confused.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #32 of 42
long story but my jaw goes out of alignment (tmj) and screws up my ear so that it get's REALLY sensitive to touch and Darths surround/seal the ear and pound so it's torture to listen 60% of the time. It might get better someday but..

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #33 of 42
Ouch...
blink.gif
get well soon!

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe just cut all the bs and save up for some really sweet headphones like the open darths. I went through EVERY headphone from the k1000 down before settling on the open darths.

I had to sell them due to my tmj screwing up my right ear for real headphones so be kind to my sad self as I relegated to speakers and brief usage of on ears like the koss sportapro.

Otherwise the MS1 will do nicely for your tastes on the cheap.

milkpowder already made my wallet go into hiding with talks of Beyers and now you bring up Darths! MS2is for Rock, Folk, Spoken Word, Pop and Jazz. Darths for Hip Hop, Trip Hop and Downtempo... my wallet doesn't like either of you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #35 of 42
I'm not sure why many HERE don't like the HD555's. There are so many, many non-Headfi reviews that praise them. Particulary Amazon. And aren't most people there used to punchy, non-tedious, Ipod-suited sound?
blink.gif
blink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #36 of 42
Well, even a Mazda 121 has its followers, but it is not likely to impress Jaguar XJK owners...
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why many HERE don't like the HD555's. There are so many, many non-Headfi reviews that praise them. Particulary Amazon. And aren't most people there used to punchy, non-tedious, Ipod-suited sound?
blink.gif
blink.gif

It depends what you're comparing them to. When I first heard the HD555s they sounded worse than any headphone I'd heard in the last five years and no amp or source I tried (including an iPod) made them sound better. Maybe I would have thought they sounded good if I hadn't heard better sounding headphones but I had. No doubt there will be those who like the sound signature of these and will be more forgiving but I suspect many of those reviews on places like Amazon are by those who have not heard anything better.

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #38 of 42
I didn't know there were so many people unsatisfied with the HD555
biggrin.gif
Good to know my ears haven't gone already...

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #39 of 42
I thought that burn in was BS too, but the hd555 is the only phone I have owned from new and the sound DID change after a couple of weeks. I've not noticed this with any of my second hand phones. But I agree that I'm skeptical about many claims about burn in.
The HD555 really opens up with a semi decent (bright?) source (in my case an old Marantz CD63). It's very good for movies, games.
It's main forte is softening up music with harsh qualities, such as old computer game music (SID, adlib, mod etc) a guilty pleasure of mine
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
milkpowder already made my wallet go into hiding with talks of Beyers and now you bring up Darths! MS2is for Rock, Folk, Spoken Word, Pop and Jazz. Darths for Hip Hop, Trip Hop and Downtempo... my wallet doesn't like either of you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do make sure you post your comparison review!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #41 of 42
Personally, I like the way my Senn HD555s sound out of my PC's Audigy 2 ZS soundcard with kxproject drivers. They are certainly no Shure E500, but still pretty decent - not as tiny sounding as Senn PX100s IMO.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not as tiny sounding as Senn PX100s IMO.

Really? I didn't find the sound tiny. Just lacking depth, I'm not sure if that's what you mean by tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back