Not impressed by the HD555s
Jun 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So I just got my HD555s last night and so far I'm not impressed. I'm using it straight from the headphone out of my iPod and Laptop. I planned on purchasing an amp for it in the near future but I wonder if I should even bother. The sound is extremely laid back, there's no punch and the bass is pretty weak. Would an amp correct this? I've tried listening to Rap, Folk, Trip Hop, Indie Rock and Jazz with these headphones and nothing sounds bad so far... just nothing sound great either. Music that sound amazing on my E500s just sound "whatever" on the HD555s.

At this point I'm thinking of returning them and going with maybe the MS1s and getting an amp for them.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 42
Thats just the way those Senns are I'd say. If you want a more exciting sound in the 5xx series, try the 595's. If the Senn sound really isnt agreeing with you, then yeah, go Grado/Allessandro.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 42
um. you have e500s and expect the 555s to even be close? lol

there's no way anything sennheiser makes short of a 600 or 650 with a good amp would compete with the e500.

in other words, no sh&t?

lol dude send them back and if you want a good portable headphone that's still not in the same room as an e500 but ok in most respects with bass get something by Koss like the ksc 75 or the sporta or portapros. the only headphone that I REALLY liked for bass music were Darths but that would kill your wallet.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um. you have e500s and expect the 555s to even be close? lol

there's no way anything sennheiser makes short of a 600 or 650 with a good amp would compete with the e500.

in other words, no sh&t?

lol dude send them back and if you want a good portable headphone that's still not in the same room as an e500 but ok in most respects with bass get something by Koss like the ksc 75 or the sporta or portapros. the only headphone that I REALLY liked for bass music were Darths but that would kill your wallet.

I'm not expecting a pair of headphone that cost $99 buck to compare with my E500s. If you actually read my post correctly you'd see I'm complaining about what appears to be the sound signature of the HD555s. I'm not expecting them to have the detail of the E500s. The Shures sound signature is more engaging than the "whatever" approach the HD555s take to music. I have PX100s and those sound excellent. There's punch and good bass. The only thing that's missing is more depth and detail. Those only cost me $30 and I defiantly prefer those over the HD555s. They put me into the music. So price isn't a factor here.

The HD555s aren't meant to be portable and I prefer my PX100s over any Koss (probably the most overrated headphones imo). Regardless I have my E500s for portable use. I'm looking for a pair of home headphone.

@Cousin Patty

The Senn HD595 is a bit out of my budget right now. I really like the signature on the PX100s and I'm looking for that same Senn sound but with a bit more detail and depth. Any one know of any off hand. I'm willing to spend around $100 to $150 or less. I just want them to be open and fit over the ear.

Edit: I think I found a genre that the Senn sound great in. Down tempo... go figure. I'm going to do a bit more listening today with some more down tempo album (I have a pretty big collection of down tempo). Maybe there's hope yet.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 42
Why would he buy cheapo KSC75 when he has e500?

If you're looking for a full can, check out Grado/Alessandro (maybe some MS1 for $100) for punchy bass (my favorite) or Beyer DT990 if you want
basshead.gif
bass.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 42
Thanks for the heads-up, I was actually planning on getting these for $90 CDN today.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 42
I think you should try the hwc mod. It give a bit more punch to the bass. I like my HD555 very much, I don't think laidback is bad though..

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 42
@ StevenBrouwer

Do you use the amped or unamped? Cause I don't see an amp in your sig. From what I've read on the foram amping doesn't do much.

I'm liking the HD555s very much with Blockhead Music by Cavelight. So I'm going to try it out with a few more down tempo type albums. The laid back sound signature is working very well with laid back music lol! It really sounds to "whatever" when it comes to rock, folk and rap.

Worse case scenario I'll return the HD555s for a pair of MS1s. The other worst case scenario is I'll like them for down tempo and end up getting MS-1s for my rock, folk and rap.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just got my HD555s last night and so far I'm not impressed. I'm using it straight from the headphone out of my iPod and Laptop. I planned on purchasing an amp for it in the near future but I wonder if I should even bother. The sound is extremely laid back, there's no punch and the bass is pretty weak. Would an amp correct this? I've tried listening to Rap, Folk, Trip Hop, Indie Rock and Jazz with these headphones and nothing sounds bad so far... just nothing sound great either. Music that sound amazing on my E500s just sound "whatever" on the HD555s.

At this point I'm thinking of returning them and going with maybe the MS1s and getting an amp for them.

That's exactly what I think of them too and precisely why I don't like them and won't recommend them for any type of music, not even classical. It lacks intimacy, power and dynamics. Great if you like listening to live music with earmuffs on, or if your preferred concert hall seat is outside of the concert hall with your ears pressed against the doors. IMO, they're more laid back but not as dark as the HD650. The HD600 and HD580 strike a balance between the two. It's funny that you already have the E500. If you like the smooth mids and punchy bass of the E500, the HD555 won't give you any of that as you have already found out. Time to offload them and get a pair of DT770
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I think of them too and precisely why I don't like them and won't recommend them for any type of music, not even classical. It lacks intimacy, power and dynamics. Great if you like listening to live music with earmuffs on, or if your preferred concert hall seat is outside of the concert hall with your ears pressed against the doors. IMO, they're more laid back but not as dark as the HD650. The HD600 and HD580 strike a balance between the two. It's funny that you already have the E500. If you like the smooth mids and punchy bass of the E500, the HD555 won't give you any of that as you have already found out. Time to offload them and get a pair of DT770
biggrin.gif

How would you describe the sound of the DT770? I found a pair for $195 shipped. I'd be willing to pay that. Of course I'd need to get an amp right away for them.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 42
Is this the new DT770? I've only had the older DT770 Pro (80ohm) and I was very pleased with them. The bass is sufficient punchy, prominent and not overwhelmingly-so. The mids and highs are more upfront than the HD555. They're definitely worth trying if you want something with a bit more oomf than the HD555. If anything, an amp is probably the last thing you should worry about. Wait until you decide that the DT770 is the right headphone for you, then get a good amp.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 42
I had a limited listen to both the 555 and 595 in my local audio shop and I remember thinking that the 555 felt more closed in and had less clarity than the 595. Neither can does particularly well in terms of bass, lacking in impact rather than extension - both are highly focused on midrange in my opinion and they excel there. It's for that reason that I plan to buy a pair of 650s and some Grado 325Is after I upgrade my source.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 42
Ahh... the SR325i. You'll be in for a pleasant surprise
biggrin.gif
Have fun. The HD650 is great, but I don't have a dynamic amp at the moment so it gets no time on my head.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 42
I didn't know there were two versions. The one I found on Amazon say they are the 250ohm version. Know o a good place I can find the 80ohm version? I checked Headroom and they only have the 250ohm version as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back