Not digging IE7s
Dec 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Thor4life

New Head-Fier
So, I'm just going to lay this out there. I'm really, really not liking the IE7s. Way too powerful bass for my taste. They have had about 100hrs of burn in on them, and I've tried them with with a tight seal, loose seal, amped/not amped, and just can't deal with them anymore. Now I start the process of trying to find some alternatives. 

To give you an idea of taste, I have a set of Phiaton MS400s that I'm in love with. Amazing mids and highs, with the bass there, but more of a support roll to the rest of the sound. To my ears, the IE7s are the exact opposite of that.

So what else should I be looking at? Not going to lie, getting really overwhelmed by the choices, and getting a mite lost. Should I maybe stick with Phiaton at try the PS200? Or something else? Ideally, I'd like to be able to trade the IE7s, or at least stay in that same price range.

Thanks in advanced,
Kevin

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 16
That's quite funny because I have IE7 and ms400 as well and I find the ms400's bass to be waaaay too boomy and find the ie7 to be just about right. But I've modded my ms400 a little and love the bass now. I'm been beginning to wonder though whether Phiaton revised the ms400. I got mine fairly early on and all these reviews/descriptions don't match the sound of mine.

I quite liked the Denon c710 when I had it. It's considered a bassy iem, but less than ie7 and tighter. My only gripe with it was the horrible cable.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 16
I love my PS 210s:

I've had headphones with alot of bass (Senn HD 25s, FS Atrios), the 210s are nothing like them.  They have a great sound stage - very wide.  Good instrument separation.  They're a little warm, but not bass-heavy by any means.  The only problem with the 210s is that they don't isolate very well.  They're a fairly open design, so take that into account.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 16
The IE7's don't really have a huge quantity of bass, but it is quite vast..if that makes sense.  Their sound is grounded in the bass/midbass frequencies, with everything else falling in to place nicely, rather than the other way around.  Forward mids are not affected by the bass at all, and the highs land on top, easily distinguished but not intense at all.  However, there are IEM's which exaggerate this type of presentation much more, such as the IE8, where you can never not be thinking about the bass.  I find the bass on the IE7 is nicely balanced for a bass-driven sound signature.  The IE7 might sound really off to you coming from a headphone which has a sound that is built around the mid/upper frequencies, with the bass just there to complete the sound.  Perhaps this is just your preference and it won't change, or maybe you need to give the IE7 more time to understand their sound signature.  

What is your EQ setting and with the IE7?  How many hours have you listened to them?

If you want to try another IEM in the same price range that is less bass-focused, I would recommend the Audeo PFE or Westone2.  

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 16
ketan7s, what the hell are you talking about?  

1.  I could be wrong, but I don't think this thread is an ad or SPAM.  Also, if it's not, great way to offend a new member (with 25-posts I wouldn't be talking myself).

2.  Phiaton is a well known brand.  Wake up.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 16

sherlock holmes is on the house.
Quote:
hmmmmm
Yet another advertisement now. From a new member (or a forummer with new account). Phiaton.. Has anyone even heard about this company? Now lets buy and try.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
sherlock holmes is on the house.

L3000.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 16
Ok but now it is recommended,
After the next few threads when someone asks, there would be no word about phiaton. for e.g. Its like the Fischer Audio eterna rev 2, it was like the god to people few posts ago. And now when people are asking for recommendations, no one speaks about it. It seems like its advertising period is over. looks something like commission contract ended.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
After the next few threads when someone asks, there would be no word about phiaton. for e.g. Its like the Fischer Audio eterna rev 2, it was like the god to people few posts ago. And now when people are asking for recommendations, no one speaks about it. It seems like its advertising period is over. looks something like commission contract ended.

Dude, up your medication.  This post makes absolutely no sense.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

Dude, up your medication.  This post makes absolutely no sense.

Ok I will, but just last question for you SoulSyde - Do you have some more head-fi sign-ups, and one of it is Thor4life? sorry I was just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back