Not a fan of my new IEM's sound, what now?
Sep 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

csivanich

New Head-Fier
Some background: So after a few weeks of researching IEM's under $100, I got a great deal on the Shure SE215's. They fit me well, and the noise cancellation is amazing, however, I am not impressed with the sound so far. Their bass is impressive (as many of the reviews have stated here) but that same quality sometimes drowns out the rest of the sound, even making it muddy at times. I do enjoy listening to hip-hop and EDM on them, but my favorite rock/indie tracks don't have the clarity I was looking for, especially in guitar heavy sections.  

My only other set of headphones I use are the Sony MDR-V6's and I've loved their crisp and balanced sound over the past couple years I've owned them.

I've put ~30 hours of listening into the Shures since I bought them last week, and still dislike the sound I'm getting.  So, now I'm debating trying to take them back, something I doubt the sound shop will do, or just buy a second IEM with a more balanced sound (I'm thinking the Etymonics HF5, but open to suggestions).  What do you all think I should do? 

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Sell those, buy Apple Dual Driver IEMs, they cost around 40 $ on ebay(new), you won't regret it. Amazing clarity...I use triple-flange ear tips with them, gives me best seal, also available on ebay...

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 8
For economy... Etymotic MC5 with the NRB Mod.

If you have the budget, Etymotic HF5 with the NRB Mod.

Good Stuff, Jim

PS NRB Mod Info in my Sig.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 8
The HF5's are a good balanced set but if you stretch your budget around $20 you can get the Rockit R-50 which sound quite a bit better than the HF5 (I have both).  They R-50 also has a little bit more bass impact but depth is about the same on both though nothing a little EQ'ing can't fix.

One other IEM around the $100 mark is the Creative Aurvana IE3 which is also a nice sounding IEM for the price, more mid forward than the others with a little bit more bass impact over the HF5 and R-50.

Imo your best bet would be to spend $20 more and get the R-50 and I know Jim's going to push hard now for you to get the HF5, the R-50 has all the detail of the HF5 with a bigger soundstage so point goes to the R-50 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 8
I really do not want to push anyone...

I would just like to make sure the Ety Option is out there.

Pound for Pound, They can't be beat !!!

IMHO, Jim

PS I will say that whatever any OP purchases, I would like them to be happy with their choice.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I like both my Shure SE-215 AND my Etymotic HF3. I gots the flabby bass for when it's needed and the super tight bass and detail for it's charms. Rocket R-50 sounds very very nice also. (Haven't heard it, but heard about it.) 
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I really do not want to push anyone...

I would just like to make sure the Ety Option is out there.

Pound for Pound, They can't be beat !!!

IMHO, Jim

PS I will say that whatever any OP purchases, I would like them to be happy with their choice.

One of these days I'm going to let you borrow the R-50 so I can convert you and show you the light.

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 8
I appreciate the thought. Really, I Do.

But, I have been forever ruined by the Audio Bliss that I have found with my Etys.

I have just enough ADHD (diagnosed by my Son) to, if I am not careful to own one of everything.

So, I will stop and be content.

Thanks though, Jim
Quote:

One of these days I'm going to let you borrow the R-50 so I can convert you and show you the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back