NorCal, San Francisco Bay Area Meet 2/27/2010
Feb 13, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #121 of 235
The setup I intend to have at the meet: laptop PC > Ayre QB-9 > SPL Auditor > Head-Direct HE-5 re-cabled with APureSound V3.

I'd like to ship in advance the QB-9, Auditor, and HE-5 to someone in NorCal who could bring them to the meet and then ship them back to me after the meet. Or at least someone who'd be able to just bring them to the meet (I can try to find someone to ship them back later). If anyone could do that, please let me know via PM. (I'll cover return shipping cost.) Ideally someone who plans on showing up at the meet on time, of course.
wink.gif

This is quickly becoming a standard request for me but if someone could also bring packing tape and a box razor to the meet, would really appreciate it - I'd use them to open and re-pack & re-label the boxes for my gear so whoever might be sending back my gear won't have to do that part.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #122 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltron,

Please add me to the attendees' list. Thanks!

Done. Sorry for forgetting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The setup I intend to have at the meet: laptop PC > Ayre QB-9 > SPL Auditor > Head-Direct HE-5 re-cabled with APureSound V3.

I'd like to ship in advance the QB-9, Auditor, and HE-5 to someone in NorCal who could bring them to the meet and then ship them back to me after the meet. Or at least someone who'd be able to just bring them to the meet (I can try to find someone to ship them back later). If anyone could do that, please let me know via PM. (I'll cover return shipping cost.) Ideally someone who plans on showing up at the meet on time, of course.
wink.gif

Updated gear list. Let me know when you are getting in. If there is a way for me to get the stuff but leave it with your Friday or something, then I won't delay you by getting to the meet on Saturday after you open up.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #123 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Updated gear list. Let me know when you are getting in. If there is a way for me to get the stuff but leave it with your Friday or something, then I won't delay you by getting to the meet on Saturday after you open up.
biggrin.gif

I'm scheduled to land at SFO around 7 PM-ish on Friday 2/26 but I see you already have more than enough equipment to lug around (and probably lots of other things to take care of) so don't worry about it. I'm hoping someone else with a bit less gear in tow will be able to help me out.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #124 of 235
My friend and I are also planning to attend this meet. So excited!

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #125 of 235
Does anyone have a current Woo WA6 variant to bring?

(My stock, original WA6 sounds very good, but is not up the level of what Woo is doing now. A different regulator tube really helped the extension, and the base-model amp value was great for just $600.)

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #127 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... when it comes to a regulator tube to make or break an amp, that's when I gotta just say TUBES ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO LIFE!
biggrin.gif

You solid state guys are just jealous. EVERYBODY knows that gas regulators sound soooo much better than crummy zener strings! Perhaps we can start a 40 page thread on the subject. I think I'll go "cryo" my regulators now. Then, after 10,000 hours of "burn-in" we'll really show you solid state guys a thing or two!

Seriously, I'm a tube guy, but I don't see how one gas regulator (of the same voltage) is any different ( OK, one might be noisier than another) than another.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #128 of 235
The latter Woo WA6 variants were so improved over mine that the selection of rectifier tube became less important; less variation from tube type to type. That is the mark of better power supply design and parts selection. That is why I am hoping to hear some of the new WA6 models. Mine was pretty early... but sounds great compared to the headphone out of my SCD-XA5400ES, which itself is very detailed and flat but has "high feedback disease"... a bit of false shapness to transients, and tiny levels of high-order distortion that affects the texture of treble or the subjective comfort with the treble. The amp loses that entirely and "breathes" more without losing much detail. great for the price and I'd love to hear a SS amp that can beat that!

But I digress....

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #129 of 235
The high-end in tube gear or trannies sends a chill up my spine. More like apples and oranges for me. I really enjoy hearing the best in either category. :)

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #130 of 235
I haven't heard the best (and most expensive) of both in a few years, amps and preamps, but my impression was that they were converging and getting harder to tell apart. (sorry, off topic... maybe not: we'll compare tube and transistor at the meet!)

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #133 of 235
Hey, this meet is happening in 10 days!

It is looking like a good crowd and plenty to see and hear, so I am sure that this will be yet another fantastic Bay Area meet. Time to get down to business on details, tables and such:

BRING POWER STRIPS AND EXTENSION CORDS FOR YOURSELF AND AN EXTRA 1-2 IF YOU HAVE THEM.
These are not provided and although there are lots of outlets, power is ALWAYS and issue at EVERY meet.

If you plan to attend and do not see your name on the Attendee List below, please post in this thread and we will add you.

If you are hoping for some room to show your gear on a table and do not see your name and your stuff in the Gear List below, please post in this thread and we will try to fit you in. On the other hand, if you said you want table space and now cannot make the meet or do not intend to bring gear, post that up too so we can plan to use the space for somebody else.

I will do up a table map and post it so that will be easy to sort out on the day of the meet. There *may* be some open space, which is nice for last-minute arrivals and for space to show any gear our friendly manufacturers might send along for us to check out.

I will have name tags, table cards and Sharpees for use at the meet. If you are displaying your stuff, you might want to put any special instructions or warnings on one of the cards and have it sitting on the table for members to review. The next post after this one will be the Tips For Newbies / Meet Etiquette post with lots of info for young and old alike. Please read it if you have never been to a meet, and please refresh yourself if it has been awhile.
beerchug.gif

Attendees

1031tensai + 1
aamefford
agile_one*
amb
amphead
Asr*
ast
atothex
AV8TR +1-2
Bigguy +2
blessingx
cis4smack
Craig (Eddie Current)
dasmodul
Elluzion (maybe)
Fallenangel
Filburt
foo me
Frank Cooter*
fureshi (maybe)
Glitch39
guzziguy*
Grahame
haycheng
Hsiu
Icarium
ichiboy
ironbut
Iron_Dreamer*
jbusuego +1
jdmoorman
jilgiljongiljing
jrossel
Justin (Headamp)*
KurtW
linuxworks
mastertrash
matt fury*
mikeymad
NightWoundsTime*
oldskoolboarder + 1
oneplustwo
particleman14
pcf
penger
Philimon* (maybe)
pixeljedi
R burke
renlute
rjkdivin
rockcod
rogercor
RyzeHD
SanJoseCarJunkie
Soundboy
srserl
Stoney
strungoutt1
tdogzthmn
Trav
Uncle Erik*
Voltron
waynema
yuckymucky*

*Denotes Travel Team members coming from outside the area/state.

Gear List

ironbut-
ZanaDeux
AD2000
Reel to reel (Tape Project tapes (got Brilliant Corners by Monk that's killer!)
Modded ULN-2

R_burke
Shanling CD T100
AT W1000
W5000

FrankCooter
GM70 variant amp
HE-5
K1000

Glitch39
Balanced Zapfilter II Zhaolu 2.5A
Little Dot Mk VI w/ Sylvania 6AS7GA & VT-231
Balanced Qables
HD650

FallenAngel
Sources : HifiMan HM-801, Laptop with USB->S/PDIF converter
DAC : Buffalo32, maybe Ultra Fi MusicStream (if hasn't sold by then)
Amps : Balanced Dynalo, Melos Maestro, SinglePower MPX3
Headphones: Grado HP-2, RS-1, SR-200, Denon D-5000, Yamaha HP-1

Gear I'll only bring on request:
Source: 240GB diyMod 5.5G
Amps: PPAS, PPAv2, Sijosae SHA
DACs: EAD DSP-7000 DAC
Headphones: BeyerDynamic DT770/250, AKG K271

Uncle Erik
TBD

Stoney
Woo Audio 6
HD650 with Cardas

haycheng
iMod iPod
SR-71
Tomhawk
HD650

Mikeymad
Marantz SA-7S1
PC -> PSAudio DLink III
WooAudio WA5 (Maxxed)
Stax SRD-7 (Mod to Pro)
AT L3000
AKG K1000
STAX O2 Mk1
Panamax 5500
[Whisky TBD
L3000.gif
]

aamefford
Denon D5000's, JMoney pads, maybe Markled by then
DIYMod if it makes it intact back from Joneeboi in time
MisterX Dynalo
Pico Slim if it arrives in time
Westone UM3X
UE TF10
Macbook Pro as server
Musical Fidelity V-Dac as source

mastertrash
Benchmark Dac-1
Little Dot Dac_I
Little Dot MK V
HD650 w/ Blue Dragon, K701, and DT880

rjkdivin
AMB DIY gear, a source, some Sennheisers, and....we'll see

oneplustwo
Three channel B22
Balanced B22
Buffalo 32S
gamma1 with USB from my macbook
cmoy
mini3
Grado SR-80
Senn HD650 (balanced)

linuxworks
Beta22+LCDuino (motor pot version)
M3 with motor/servo pot and PGA vol control
laptop/spdif source
Y2dac+spdif-master

amb
β22 + σ22 headphone amp
β24 power amp
Mini³ portable headphone amp (two)
γ1 DAC (full config)
γ2 DAC (two of them)
Benchmark DAC1
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
RME ADI-2 ADC/DAC
laptop computers (2), external hard drive
various headphones
LCDuino-1 demo
other gizmos

Jrossel
SOHA II
EHHA
HD600

Voltron
Mac Mini w/Amarra
Sonic Model 4
Luxman P-1
Balanced, discrete, all-JFET amp with separate power supply (designed and built by luvdunhill)
HD800 / Grado HP-2 / AD2000
JH|13 Pro and balanced cable with Neutrik Tiny XLR (with standard 4-pin XLR adapter)
Woo Audio WES
Stax SR-Omega / 4070 / Lambda Sigs

jdmoorman
DT880 600 ohm, Black dragon
DT880 600 ohm, Silver dragon, JMoney pads
DT990 600 ohm, Silver dragon, JMoney pads
DT770 600 ohm, Blue dragon
Decware CSP2
Decware CSP2, 274B mod
Elekit TU 882
KICAS Caliente
Headroom UMDac
Headroom UMAmp

jilgiljongiljing
Yamaha CDC-565 CDP as transport
Cambridge Dacmagic
Gilmore Lite
Ultrasone 680
Audio Technica A700
Beyer DT990 600ohm

KurtW
Rega P3 with rewired arm and GrooveTracer subplatter/platter
Soundsmith SMMC2-H Cartridge
Sugden Headmaster
AT L3000
A900

ichiboy
EMU 0404
Go-Vibe V6
HD555
D2000

Asr
laptop PC
Ayre QB-9
SPL Auditor
Head-Direct HE-5 re-cabled with APureSound V3

SanJoseCanJunkie
AKG 271 MkII
HD 590
Possibly a DT-250-80
Headroom Micro Amp
PA2V2

Food and Drink

Lagavulin 16
Chinese peanut snacks
Hopefully some treats from Mrs. Bigguy
Mikeymad and Voltron whisk(e)y selections

Misc.

I don't think we will have room for a For Sale or Trade table, but trading at meets is fine. Bring a card with info and stand it up by your gear if you are trying to sell or trade it.

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #134 of 235
This is the traditional meet post to remind (or inform) attendees about the unofficial code of conduct at Head-Fi meets. The following is adapted from SiBurning's Tips for Newbies that n_maher modded for the last CanJam, plus some of SiB's other meet thread jargon. Good stuff.
L3000.gif

[size=medium]Tips for Newbies[/size]

[size=small]Personal Hygene is important when slapping other people's headphones on your head.[/size]
* Wash your hair and your ears--and behind your ears.
* Avoid the use of products like hair gel, hair spray, mousse, etc. Seriously, some of the headphones you'll have the opportunity to try cost more than a good used car. I don't want your hair gunk on my headphones, thanks.
* Clean out your ears so you can hear better.
* If you clean the canal with peroxide or whatever, do it a few of days before the meet--give those stray waxed klingons time to leave. It also allows your hearing to be at its best if there is some time between the cleaning and critical listening.
* Don't forget the deodorant (THIS goes for Oldtimers as well). Baby powder & cologne are not adequate substitutes.
* With all the gear & other members, it gets warm in the room. Dress accordingly.
[size=small]The most important thing of all is to have fun.[/size]
* Meets are Great, so be prepared to have a great day with fellow Head-fi members.
* Bring whatever gear you want. If you don't have any, that's OK. Just bring your ears and maybe your own headphones to try on other people's gear.
* You can try whatever gear you want, but be polite, ask permission, don't be a gear hog, etc.
* If you have any questions about gear, look for the owner and ask. Or just ask whoever is listening (after they're done).
* Everyone is very friendly and will be glad to answer you.
* Many of us have known each other for some time now so don't think that people are ignoring you...unless you didn't take a shower before the meet and smell.
* Do not be shy.
* Mingle.
* You will find everyone to be very friendly & helpful.
* Most of all enjoy yourself & take the opportunity to hear gear you normally wouldn't get a chance to, or are thinking of buying.
[size=small]Get organized.[/size]
* Take a mental (or written) list of what you want to hear. If you do this before the meet, leave some time to look around and listen to some surprises.
* Take music with you that you what you want to hear on people's gear. Burning CDs is a great way to do this without too much concern over forgetting your discs in CD Players you will never see again. Label your CDs with your member name and you will likely get them back anyway.
* You'll be overwhelmed with the amount of gear that will be at the meet.
* Read the impressions thread afterward. You'll realize you missed listening to something you wanted to hear.
* Time Flies at these meets.
[size=small]Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.[/size]
* Treat all gear with the utmost respect.
* Ask if you're not sure how to operate any gear, or you're just curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way around. Don't just assume that everything works the same way. Just ask, it can save a lot of heartache.
* Some gear is really, really, really, really expensive. As previously stated some member and manufacturer rigs are going to cost more than some of us make in a year.
* Other gear...the owner only thinks it's precious. Regardless, respect the owner's wishes.
* Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
* If you have any doubt or questions, ask.
* Turn the volume down to zero when you are done listening.
* Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner. Never drop a headphone on the table or anywhere else -- place it gently on an appropriate surface.
* Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
* Do not unplug headphones, remove any cables, or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
* If you do get permission to take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, make sure to remember where you got it from, and bring it back when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter.
* If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.
More fun stuff from SiBurning's meet threads:

If you're bringing gear

The more equipment we have, the more everyone gets exposed to, that otherwise wouldn't be available to them.

At a minimum, everyone needs to bring their own power strip, and probably an extension cord. Extras are also needed, so if you have any extra, please bring them. Don't forget to pack them and bring them with you.

You might want to set up a card or something by your gear with your name on it so people know whose gear is on the table. For portable gear especially, you might want to label every piece of gear. People will walk around with your portable equipment (hopefully after asking permission), especially to test it out in combination with other gear. Not that we've had any serious problems, but there's usually someone with an extra or missing cable when we're busy trying to break down.

Packing & transporting your gear can be a challenge. Good luck with that. If you have tips, please share them by private message with SiBurning, or post in the Main meet thread or the Meeting suggestions thread.

Misc. Tips

* Look for the name badges and stick one on. If you don't see them, ask. Or bring your own. It's nice to know who's who. You can write you Head-Fi name, your real name, or both.

Keep it quiet

Here's one additional etiquette request, which will probably go unheeded, but I'll throw it out anyway. Some people go to meets to hear the gear; some go to schmooze with friends old and new; some go to do both. It's all good. However, in the past, I've found it hard to hear what I was listening to because there was so much yak in the room. Obviously, some talk revolves around a particular piece of gear and needs to take place there. But would it be possible for pure meeting, greeting, old times and chit-chat to move to an adjacent space? In other words, can we try to keep it kinda quiet so those who are auditioning gear can hear the subtle nuances that differentiate the Tung Sol with the green getter from the pinched-waist Amperex?

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I bring a friend?

Sure, within limits. We're always happy to attract others to our addiction. Please make sure they understand the basic tips, especially about treating equipment with respect. If you have controllable, quiet kids, they're always a welcome addition. But, please, leave the pack at home. We don't even have space for the regular members. One solution is to plan to stay for a short while, and be flexible and willing to wait if the room is crowded. I personally will clear out for a good long few smokes to make room.

Who pays for the meet?

We'll be passing the hat to pay for the room. Any money left over will go to support the Head-Fi web site. Donations are welcome (at the door) to cover the cost of hall, but are not necessary to attend.

Can I buy gear at the meets?

Generally not. The meets are primarily for members to share their gear and ideas: to give other members a chance to audition gear they wouldn't otherwise be able to hear. Manufacturers are encouraged to bring their gear to show off, and while they're welcome to bring product for sale, meets aren't a sales forum, they're a listening forum. The National meet is an exception. We purposely encourage large vendors to attend and offer products for sale there.

I make gear. Can I attend and bring gear for sale?

You're welcome to come and show off your gear. If you have product for sale, you're welcome to bring it. There are no restrictions. Just remember this is primarily a listening forum. Focus on letting people audition your gear, and keep the marketing to the side. Don't expect too many or even any sales at a meet.

Do I have to bring gear?

No. If you have no gear or just can't bring it for whatever reason, just bring your ears. Don't leave your headphones at home just because they're crappy and think nobody else wants to hear them. It might be helpful for you to use them to compare with something familiar.

Is my gear safe? Do I need to watch it all the time?

Maybe we've been lucky, but most Head-Fi members would agree that the head-fi community is trustworthy and you can leave your gear unguarded at a meet. Over the years, there has been very little lost gear at meets except little things like cables, adaptors, and CDs. These inevitably get mixed up by accident. You might want to clearly label your cables and adapters so people don't forget and pack it by accident when they break down. If you're concerned, don't bring gear, or just watch your gear or ask someone you trust to watch it for you when you are not at your table. If you do lose something, just post in the meet impression thread. There's a good chance you'll get it back.

Bring power strips & extension cords

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #135 of 235
^^ thanks Voltron..
I know that we drag this out everytime... but it is important to give it a read over. Lot of hard earned money on a lot of tables.. I am sure we don't want to get into a 'U break it U buy it' issue.

Next Weekend..!?!?! Dang.. I got to get my stuff ready..

Cheers,
Mikey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back