Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #166 of 345
I also would like to know about the tubes that is used in the super7.
We are concerned about the cost of the tubes which use 7 6SN7's ,
It seems from the pictures that Craig used 6 Tungsol reissue 6SN7's
and one 7N7 tube which are not expensive.  If this set of tubes can give
the super7 the sound that was described (about 80-90% of the BA ) then
the super 7 is one of the best buy amplifier

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #167 of 345
First and foremost, major kudos to CEE TEE for organizing and running a flawless and wonderful meet. I totally enjoyed the meet, the Friday night party, and greatly appreciated being able to "crash" in your suite after a 300 mile drive. It's a lot of fun to demo and talk equipment, but the best part of any meet is turning fellow Head-Fiers into friends. Thanks again Christian, people like you transform this forum into a community.

My mostly home-brew system had been operational for less than 48 hours at the time of the meet, so I spent a lot of time "babysitting" and got limited listening time on other systems, but a few things impressed me. The first was N3rdling's Orpheus system. I first heard an Orpheus in 2007 and felt it by far the best headphone system I'd ever heard. Lots of things have changed and improved in the headphone world since then, but I still think the Orpheus is king. Very few will ever own this system, but it gives everyone who hears it an ideal of what is possible, and for DIY types like me, a target to shoot for.

I was very impressed with purrin's HD-800 mods. Although I don't own one, I've heard the HD-800 fairly extensively and though I admire its resolution and impressive sound-stage, its modern "audiophile" treble emphasis has always been a turn-off. Purrin's mod went a long way towards smoothing things out. Best sound I've ever heard from the HD-800. Keep up the good work Marv!

Spent some time with the Cavalli Liquid Lightning. I have no idea what the circuit is, but it sounded good and had an unusually smooth and warm presentation for a solid-state amp.

As always, my table-mate Ironbut's R to R tape system was the "hands-down" source king.  No more excuses on that 211 electrostatic amp!

My other table-mate Mikeymad brought his 007/ Woo 300B/ transformer box system. While the SRD-7 is not the last word in resolution, it provides a good taste of DHT goodness to the Stax. This system started my dabbling with Stax/ DHT combinations. I really, really would like to see something besides 6S4's and El34's used for output tubes in electrostatic amps.

I barely scratched the surface of the abundance of gear in the other rooms. After a point everything sort of runs together and it becomes difficult to make any meaningful assessments. What was abundantly clear however was there was a huge selection for every taste and price point.

A number of people have asked me questions about my DIY tube amps. The cocobolo/copper amp driving  purrin's LCD-3's (Special thanks to purrin for the extended loan!) was specifically built  for  ortho's. It's a single-ended  two stage design using a CCS loaded type 56 triode directly connected to a type 46 DHT, which drives a 7k:32 Electra-Print output transformer. Puts out about 1.5W. Power supply is solid state with dual vacuum tube based regulators. Sorry, no more mercury rectifiers at public events.

The wenge/copper electrostatic amp (the black one) was an exercise in recycling and repurposing components. It's core is a couple of old Cary Audio interstage transformers converted to electrostatic output use. Everything else is either surplus or the cheapest possible foreign components. The chassis was originally built for an earlier "spud" amp for dynamic headphones. Total cost, excluding the chassis, was about $250.00 I originally intended to bring a different electrostatic amp that was as close as possible to the ortho amp. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish it in time for the meet.

Once again, thanks to CEE TEE for a wonderful meet. Definitely up for doing it again in SoCal!

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #168 of 345

Quote:
Quote:

Which Meier amp is that?

it's a Corda Opera. Great match for Beyers, like the T1 you see plugged in.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #169 of 345
^^Frank, hanging out with you on Friday night was definitely a BIG highlight of the meet for me (as well as for others who had a chance to talk to you)...I'm up for driving down to visit you guys this next time around! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #170 of 345

Quote:
^^Frank, hanging out with you on Friday night was definitely a BIG highlight of the meet for me (as well as for others who had a chance to talk to you)... 
beerchug.gif

^ This!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #171 of 345

Quote:

Think of the positives: SQwise, $700 UERM + iPhone => $2800 headphone rigs

I'm keen on the UERM. How does it compare with the other flagship IEMs in the market (e.g.Westone ES5, UM Miracles, JH13 pro, etc)?

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #172 of 345

Quote:
I'm keen on the UERM. How does it compare with the other flagship IEMs in the market (e.g.Westone ES5, UM Miracles, JH13 pro, etc)?

Ask Anax or Average Joe. I think there was a good writeup by Average Joe on the UERM where it was compared to other top IEMs.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #173 of 345

For me it was better than the ones you mentioned with all of them in demo form. The custom UERM seems to be almost the same as the demo (from memory). Sounds great.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #175 of 345
Feb 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #176 of 345

Quote:
Here's a link to some comments from the Irvine meet last autumn discussing the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577060/irvine-orange-county-meet-impressions/30#post_7844667

Just a heads up Donald, the S7 and 2A3 both are improved this time around.  The BA/2A3/S7 have much less separating themselves from each other than the last meet.  I'd be happy to do a DBT of the Apex lineup and feel good about picking out the models.  The Woos might be a little tougher depending on the models and tubes in question.  I'd be a little worried about DBTing Craig's lineup atm.  I might embarrass myself.  They all nail the important things just as well, the difference is in the quality of the icing on the cake.

That said, you and Craig are still in my top 5 favorite amp designers out there.  I'm a big fan of the Stratus.  
normal_smile .gif

I would take any of the above over the Decware I heard at the meet.  It was pretty enjoyable but and lovely to look at but not quite up to the heavy hitters in technicalities IMHO.  I thought the price went up and didn't think the Decware was much of a bargain anymore?  I wonder how different the Zen Torii MkIII sounds from the mini Torii at the meet.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #177 of 345

Quote:

A number of people have asked me questions about my DIY tube amps. The cocobolo/copper amp driving  purrin's LCD-3's (Special thanks to purrin for the extended loan!) was specifically built  for  ortho's. It's a single-ended  two stage design using a CCS loaded type 56 triode directly connected to a type 46 DHT, which drives a 7k:32 Electra-Print output transformer. Puts out about 1.5W. Power supply is solid state with dual vacuum tube based regulators. Sorry, no more mercury rectifiers at public events.

It would have been fun to plug some Yamahas into that thing!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #178 of 345
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #179 of 345

Quote:
My other table-mate Mikeymad brought his 007/ Woo 300B/ transformer box system. While the SRD-7 is not the last word in resolution, it provides a good taste of DHT goodness to the Stax. This system started my dabbling with Stax/ DHT combinations. I really, really would like to see something besides 6S4's and El34's used for output tubes in electrostatic amps.

Agreed Frank - where is the 300B electrostatic Amp... ?? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #180 of 345
What a great time this show turned out to be. Thank you Cee Tee, Jude! Enjoyed that Beta 24 immensely, thanks Ti! We had some good eats after wards too, with Jude generously picking up the tab. Had a very enjoyable time talking about various amps, while recovering as a convoy driver.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back