Noobie here! Which pair of headphones can you recommend for a Hip-Hop listener?
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

iiiMikey

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for closed headphones that cost $150, or less, that puts emphasis on bass with great mids and highs. I listen to HipHop more then any other genre, but just 'cause it's HipHop doesn't mean I don't care about mids, or highs. Because it seems everyone just wants bass for this type of genre, and everything else is "meeh" (Well. The people around me that is).

Anyways, the main two I've been looking at are the "XB500's" and "Audio Technica MTH50's." Are these good or are there better set of cans? Oh, if you can, tell me if I should use an amp with the headphones you guys/gals recommend. If what ever headphones you recommended cost more then $180, go ahead and post it with the retail price.

I live in New York City, lot's of trains and cars. Felt like tossing that in there.

First thread.
First post and
First time on here.

Don't forget I'm a nooooooob/student always learning.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
So I'm looking for open/closed headphones that cost $150, or less, that puts emphasis on bass with great mids and highs. I listen to HipHop more then any other genre, but just 'cause it's HipHop doesn't mean I don't care about mids, or highs. Because it seems everyone just wants bass for this type of genre, and everything else is "meeh" (Well. The people around me that is).

Anyways, the main two I've been looking at are the "XB500's" and "Audio Technica MTH50's." Are these good or are there better set of cans? Oh, if you can, tell me if I should use an amp with the headphones you guys/gals recommend. If what ever headphones you recommended cost more then $180, go ahead and post it with the retail price.

I live in New York City, lot's of trains and cars. Felt like tossing that in there.

First thread.
First post and
First time on here.

Both headphones are fairly easy to drive.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

A few weeks ago I listened to some Sony ZX700 ($120) at a Sony store, nice sound.
But if you search around you can find them for $85.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
An iPod Touch.

I you could just skip getting the amp. for now.
The iPod should easily drive the XB500 or ATH-M50.
But a Fiio E11 and Fiio L cable would cover any amplification you might want to add for those headphones.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 12
For a start,m50 is a all rounder. Good bass and decent clarity. Isolation is decent as well.
If you could care less about bass,look into shure srh840 if it fits your head and ears. Similar to m50 but with less bass but(supposely) better mid and high(if you can appreciate).
sennheiser hd280 is a decent can also.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 12
So I'm looking for closed headphones that cost $150, or less, that puts emphasis on bass with great mids and highs. I listen to HipHop more then any other genre, but just 'cause it's HipHop doesn't mean I don't care about mids, or highs. Because it seems everyone just wants bass for this type of genre, and everything else is "meeh" (Well. The people around me that is).

First thread.
First post and
First time on here.

Look into the Ultrasone HFi-580/780. I've been very pleased with my 780's and my friend just got his 580's and he loves them. Both have good bass without sacrificing the mids and highs. The only complaint I have is that they can be a bit uncomfortable but that's easily fixed. Who knows, maybe it's just my head.... They also offer great passive isolation and are built like a tank so no worries of damaging them if you just want to toss them into a backpack.

No amp needed for these, but I do recommend getting one down the road. The E11 with an L9 LOD is a good combo.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Look into the Ultrasone HFi-580/780. I've been very pleased with my 780's and my friend just got his 580's and he loves them. Both have good bass without sacrificing the mids and highs. The only complaint I have is that they can be a bit uncomfortable but that's easily fixed. Who knows, maybe it's just my head.... They also offer great passive isolation and are built like a tank so no worries of damaging them if you just want to toss them into a backpack.
No amp needed for these, but I do recommend getting one down the road. The E11 with an L9 LOD is a good combo.

Thank you. My mind is set on the Ultrasone HFi-780's (I'll still look for headphones close to these that have detachable cables). Only question I have is, what's with this S-Logic™ Technology?

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you. My mind is set on the Ultrasone HFi-780's (I'll still look for headphones close to these that have detachable cables). Only question I have is, what's with this S-Logic™ Technology?

It's a nice fancy name for a decentralized driver. Pretty much the driver doesn't send the music right into your ear canal but sends it to the edges of your ear and lets your ear funnel the sound into your canal..like how you would naturally hear something. It's pretty much there to give a bigger sound stage. Ultrasone just gives it a nice fancy name for marketing.

See how the driver is not in the center there, that's pretty much all it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back