Noob wants DT990. Which ohm version would be the best choice for me?
Sep 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Spirit2

New Head-Fier
I want to buy the DT990, but I'm not sure if I should get the 250 ohm or the 600 ohm version. I have read alot in the forum but I'm still not sure.

Most people say that you need a powerfull amp to drive the 600 ohm headphones, but then again someone says that the 600 ohm version isn't that much harder to drive than the 250 ohm version.

To day I only have a Zero DAC/Amp (the old version, but I can't get it to work) and I can only afford to buy a cheaper amp or amp/dac. 

So..

- As I wait to get an amp, I guess the 250 ohm version would sound better with my PC (using the soundcard on my mainboard)?

- Will the 600 ohm headphone sound worse than the 250 ohm headphone on a cheaper amp, or will I just not be able to get 100% out of the 600 ohm version?

- Do I need to get both a DAC and an amp?

- Is it possible to get an OK amp or DAC/amp for 100$-150$ that will drive DT 990 600 ohm?

- Would it be better for me to buy a new soundcard? 

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I want to buy the DT990, but I'm not sure if I should get the 250 ohm or the 600 ohm version. I have read alot in the forum but I'm still not sure.

the 600 ohm beyers are generally considered "the ones to get".  i have to agree with that assertion.

Most people say that you need a powerful amp to drive the 600 ohm headphones, but then again someone says that the 600 ohm version isn't that much harder to drive than the 250 ohm version.

folks here often buy the 250 ohm cans, because they are afraid of the 600 ohm cans.  only to find out that the 250 ohms cans are pretty difficult to power as well.
so my advice is to get the 600 ohm cans. 

To day I only have a Zero DAC/Amp (the old version, but I can't get it to work) and I can only afford to buy a cheaper amp or amp/dac. 

So..

buy the headphones you want, and save up for an amp to get later.  don't compromise.  i see this done every day here.

- As I wait to get an amp, I guess the 250 ohm version would sound better with my PC (using the soundcard on my mainboard)?
- Will the 600 ohm headphone sound worse than the 250 ohm headphone on a cheaper amp, or will I just not be able to get 100% out of the 600 ohm version?

you won't be able to get 100% out of either.  but, i have listened to 600 ohm beyers on an ipod.  the sound is acceptable, but not great.

- Do I need to get both a DAC and an amp? 
separate components will always give you more options, and will usually perform better.  you can get just an amp as a first step, and then later you can upgrade your source by using a dac.

- Is it possible to get an OK amp or DAC/amp for 100$-150$ that will drive DT 990 600 ohm?

my guess is no.
i haven't heard one that could get the job done.  that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.  even the nuforce HDP, at $449, couldn't drive the dt880 or dt990 to my satisfaction.

- Would it be better for me to buy a new soundcard? 
i don't know too much about sound cards.  but, i would venture a guess than an external dac would be a better solution. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 10
I would go with the 600 ohms.  They sat roughly at the same location on the volume knob on my XP-7 as did my 250 ohms.  They sounded better though so I would go with the 600 edition.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 10
I really appreciate your help. Now I am almost sure that I will get the 600 ohms.

How important is a dac? I was thinking about what TheWuss wrote,  that I could get an amp first and a dac later. Will an amp give me good sound alone? I was just thinking about if it took a while before I could get a dac.

Am I correct if I say that a 200$ amp alone would give me better sound than a 200$ dac/amp?

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I really appreciate your help. Now I am almost sure that I will get the 600 ohms.

How important is a dac? I was thinking about what TheWuss wrote,  that I could get an amp first and a dac later. Will an amp give me good sound alone? I was just thinking about if it took a while before I could get a dac.

an amplifier simply amlpifies what is fed to it.  so, the source i just as important, if not THE MOST important thing in the entire chain.  there are folks into hi-fi that chase source for their entire life.  that said, you can go either way:  amp first, or dac first. 
if you get a dac/amp, just be aware that i haven't found one whose headphone amp section was anywhere near as good as a stand-alone amp.
so, getting a dac/amp is a stop-gap solution.  you use it as both dac and amp for now, and you can upgrade to a stand-alone amp later, and use only its dac section at that point.
in this regard, the nuforce udac seems to be a popular choice.

Am I correct if I say that a 200$ amp alone would give me better sound than a 200$ dac/amp?

there's really no correct answer.  but, generally speaking yes.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Funny kboe linked to my sale...
But there's another amp that I'm thinking of selling that would drive your headphones much better - the starving student millet hybrid amp.
I've heard this amp drive the k701 and hd650 with amazing results and I'm sure it will driver your beyers (600 or 250 ohm version) with ease.
Also, this amp sounds particularly good without a DAC imo
Anyway - PM me if you are interested

I recommend you buy the 600 ohm version btw - the highs are smoother

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 10
I have just payed for some used DT990 600 ohms but it will be some days before it gets here 
smile_phones.gif

Now, to the dac and amp. I will try and get something used so I can get something a little cheaper. What do you guys think about getting the NuForce uDAC as the dac, and maybe to get something like the Little Dot MKII as my amp? Should I get the uDAC2 or is the uDAC good enough as a dac? What other products can compare with the  MKII?

If I can figure out why I don't get sound from my Zero dac/amp, would that be good enough to use as my dac? Is it at the same level as the uDAC?

Zalken: Interesting, but I don't know a lot about this stuff so I'm not sure if I should buy something like the starving student millet hybrid amp or not. Hmmm.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
A amp that doesn't cost much but is good is the Firestone Audio Cute Beyond.
I have the 2009(newest) version.
Its gives 60mw @ 600ohms. And the maximum input according to Beyer is 100mw.

So its a great match in power.

Anyways I use it with a DVD player as a CD Player.

Its pretty darn satisfying SQ wise. And really doesn't cost much.

Much better than dealing with computer or mp3 sources and all the extras that are involved in dealing with that mess.

You could get the Cute Beyond at some good prices on USA sites and with coupons codes etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back