Noob Question
post-8600181
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 14

BRicci

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Posts
28
Likes
0
What are a few options for a desktop amp for my Macbook Pro to use with Denon D5000's?
 
Under $300 preferably.  Thanks for any help.
 
Edit: I'm going with the Schiit Asgard paired with the HRT MSII. A little bit over my original budget, but I think it'll be worth it.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8600452
Post #2 of 14

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Messages
4,070
Reaction score
658
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Posts
4,070
Likes
658
You'll want an external DAC to go along with that amp.
 
The HiFiMan EF2A has a USB DAC, but it's not the best.  It's serviceable.  However, the amp is very nice as it's a hybrid tube amp.  It is $169.  You can start there and then add an external DAC later if you feel the need.  The HRT Music Streamer II is $149 and very, very nice.  You can get both for close to your budget of $300.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8600685
Post #3 of 14

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
27,930
Reaction score
1,590
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
27,930
Likes
1,590
Quote:
What are a few options for a desktop amp for my Macbook Pro to use with Denon D5000's?
 
Under $300 preferably.  Thanks for any help.
Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, way under your budget.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8623424
Post #5 of 14

BRicci

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Posts
28
Likes
0
Okay, so I've been thinking about getting the Schiit Asgard or the Qinpu A3.  In between the two.
 
My question is the impedance rating on the A3 is 8 ohms and the D5000's are rated at 25 ohms.  Will that make a big difference, or will it sound good still?
 
(Pairing with the HRT MS2)
 
     Share This Post       
post-8623443
Post #6 of 14

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
27,930
Reaction score
1,590
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
27,930
Likes
1,590
Quote:
Okay, so I've been thinking about getting the Schiit Asgard or the Qinpu A3.  In between the two.
 
My question is the impedance rating on the A3 is 8 ohms and the D5000's are rated at 25 ohms.  Will that make a big difference, or will it sound good still?
 
(Pairing with the HRT MS2)
The O2 (Objective 2) is a very low impedance headphone amplifier.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8623608
Post #8 of 14

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
27,930
Reaction score
1,590
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
27,930
Likes
1,590
Quote:
Well, that doesn't answer my question...
With 25-Ohm headphones (AH-D5000), it's recommend to have a amplifier output impedance of 3.25-Ohms or less.
There is a Denon AH-D2000/D5000 appreciation thread, good place to ask about amping the Denons.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread
 
     Share This Post       
post-8625737
Post #9 of 14

BRicci

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:
With 25-Ohm headphones (AH-D5000), it's recommend to have a amplifier output impedance of 3.25-Ohms or less.
There is a Denon AH-D2000/D5000 appreciation thread, good place to ask about amping the Denons.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread
Well, it's not much of a help over there.  Do you have any recommendation that I can use with the HRT MSII?
 
And why is it recommended to have an amp of 3.25-Ohms or less when it's a 25 Ohm pair of headphones?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8625798
Post #10 of 14

sml1226

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
857
Reaction score
28
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Posts
857
Likes
28
You mentioned the Asgard above. I believe its output impedance is quite low. A nice low power speaker amp would be great here too. If the output power is too much (significantly so) you can tag a high power voltage divider on the outputs before your phones and keep the impedance down next to nothing if you do it right.

I am in the process of doing it for mine, but at 75W @ 8Ω, it needs a lot of power handling in the resistors to get down to something like 5W @ 32Ω and high power heatsinked resistors get pricy quick
 
     Share This Post       
post-8625819
Post #11 of 14

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
27,930
Reaction score
1,590
Location
California
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Location
California
Posts
27,930
Likes
1,590
Quote:
Well, it's not much of a help over there.  Do you have any recommendation that I can use with the HRT MSII?
 
And why is it recommended to have an amp of 3.25-Ohms or less when it's a 25 Ohm pair of headphones?
For better sound quality, you want the impedance (Ohm) of the headphone jack to be at least 8 times less then the Ohm rating of the headphone.
My brain right now is too tired to go into the details right now, eye lids are about half way shut.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8626882
Post #12 of 14

BRicci

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Posts
28
Likes
0
Quote:
For better sound quality, you want the impedance (Ohm) of the headphone jack to be at least 8 times less then the Ohm rating of the headphone.
My brain right now is too tired to go into the details right now, eye lids are about half way shut.
Would you think the NuForce Icon HD's would go well with D5000's?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8626912
Post #13 of 14

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Messages
4,070
Reaction score
658
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Posts
4,070
Likes
658
It has been my understanding that Denons are less amp-dependent than other headphones.
 
Quote:
Would you think the NuForce Icon HD's would go well with D5000's?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top