Noob needs help. Sending IEM's to Unique Melody for reshelling
Dec 11, 2010 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

strato

New Head-Fier
What exactly is reshelling? I thought that it's only changing the cable cover, but judging by the pics I've found they replace the speaker shells or covers as well.

Here's is a pic of SE530s I found (modified by UM):

http://s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-67/post-211867-1289974824.jpg

They are pretty cool looking, but look nothing like the SE530s. I don't even see the part where you are supposed to put the sleeves on?

Also, when they reshell the cable (mine is broken near the speakers, but still works), will they replace the whole cable or just the shell? Either way, my se535s have got a 3 or 4 part cable (for extension). Should I send them that as well? If not wont it look odd if half of the cable has a different shell?

I contacted UM at www.uniquemelody.org/Enlish/ and they quoted me $224 for a reshell (detachable cable). Is that a good deal? That includes shipping back with Fedex.

Please bare with me. Never done this before.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Reshelling is what it is, they take the drivers out of the original 530s and then put it into a custom acrylic shell. Drivers are then, most likely, tuned to match its new surroundings. In regards of the cables, it'll become the same type as custom IEMs; detachable cables.

Unique Melody is not a bad choice for reshelling. Their acrylic shells are second to none. Take a look at the Unique Melody Appreciation Thread for more info. XD

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. I'm looking at the thread.

I'm still confused about something. NONE of the pictures in the UM thread seem to have the sleeves on (judging by the look of the customized IEMs, I don't think they are meant to be worn with sleeves). If that's the case, they must be custom molded? That means they need some kind of impression of my ears and they didn't request that.

I understand that this may be an extremely stupid question...

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 7
You are correct it is custom molding, if it is reshelling. When you reshell something with a custom IEM company, chances are you are custom molding the IEM's drivers, so ear impressions are naturally expected. :)

And no worries, I had the same confusion when I was new here too.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Google for a nearest audiologist. :)

And take a look at this thread too:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440466/the-audiologists-impressions-thread-pun-most-definitely-intended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back