Non-Fatiguing Grado's?
Jun 18, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 26
FWIW, I can listen to the MS1i for about 30min before needing to rest. Can listen to the mspro and HF2 forever, while requiring rest every hour or so with the PS1k.

Can only listen to about 3 songs on the RS1i during an audition before needing to rest.

Your tolerance/listening preference might differ and you should definitely try them out at a shop if possible. 

Appreciate this info and comparison, thank you.

What is your normal listening volume? I have a sound meter and my normal level is between 50 and 60 dBA most of the time.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 26

FWIW, I can listen to the MS1i for about 30min before needing to rest. Can listen to the mspro and HF2 forever, while requiring rest every hour or so with the PS1k.

Can only listen to about 3 songs on the RS1i during an audition before needing to rest.

Your tolerance/listening preference might differ and you should definitely try them out at a shop if possible. 

Appreciate this info and comparison, thank you.

What is your normal listening volume? I have a sound meter and my normal level is between 50 and 60 dBA most of the time.

I don't use a SPL to measure the actual level, but it's not low volume.

I use them in office mostly and it's sufficient to drown out my colleagues' conversation/discussion, so higher than conversational level?

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #18 of 26
SR60i SR125i MS1i are the non-fatigue Grados I've owned. I also heard some good words about PS500 and MSPro, not sure though. PS500 seems to be non-fatigue according to the measurement from Tyll. 

I found most of Grados, SR325i, RS1i (not to mention RS1) and the mighty PS1000 very bright, unless paired with RA1 (at the cost of transparency) or some other amps which could tame the treble a bit. While SR225i and RS2i are not that bright.

Lowering the volume works as a general principle but is not the ultimate solution IMO, given I am kind of person who usually listen at very low volume.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 26
I've seen comments here calling SR125 and 225 less bright than the others as well as comments calling them brighter than the other SR Grados (SR325 notwithstanding); I personally didn't find them any less bright.  You are possibly one of the ones that got a less bright 125 by chance, I think.  I certainly didn't find SR60 bright much when I tried it.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 26
Possibly I did get a less bright 125i and they are not very agile either, compared to 80i .. as I didn't quite agree with whathifi's comments on 125i (actually 125 on whathifi's website but I think it should be 125i since they come with new soft pads) "Fast and dig up plenty of detail."

wait..

Or maybe it's the difference between pads or versions? My SR125i (with S-cushion) did sound quite bright and fast with RS2i's L-cushion, which is not my liking.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 26
Grado headphones, especially anything below and including the RS-1i are quite bright.  This is easily verified by the frequency response curves for each.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=383&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&

See those peaks 2kHz, 4kHz, and 8kHz?  Those are treble spikes and things to watch out for in headphones especially if you find brightness with a Grado.

Here is another thread regarding this very issue:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/516904/how-do-you-tame-overly-bright-grado

You may be like many of us and unwilling to compromise with the treble.  I would suggest going with another set of headphones or at a minimum using the Comfy pads ( flats not bowls ) and a EQ down 2kHz, 4kHz, and 8kHz two to three dB each.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #22 of 26
I'm quite sensitive to treble and I thought I might be bothered by the MS1, but I'm not. I was intrigued by the Grado reputation for being great for Rock music and just decided to give them a try despite their treble-heavy, bass-light reputation. I was gladly surprised that the treble wasn't as overbearing as I expected and the bass was actually rather decent. I think I found some of the treble a bit harsh in the beginning, but I'm not sure if I simply adjusted to it or what, but they're really not a problem for me anymore. I did decide to put some HM5 pleather over the l-Cush even though people are of the opinion that pleather and Grado don't mix. I dunno, combined with the foam of the L-Cush, they sound really sweet to me and other people I've let try them. They certainly hold in more of the bass than just the foams. Super comfy, too, but also kinda dorky-looking.

At the end of the day, aren't listening using other people's ears, you're listening using yours. If you want to know for sure, you'll need to try them yourself. Worst case you don't like them and sell them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #24 of 26
I don't use a SPL to measure the actual level, but it's not low volume.

I use them in office mostly and it's sufficient to drown out my colleagues' conversation/discussion, so higher than conversational level?

OK, thanks.

I'm guessing you listen at approximately 70-80 dBA. Normal conversational levels are around 60 dBA, so if the music blocks it out, you're probably listening at a level 10-15 dBA higher or so. Safe levels still, but possibly at a point where the treble emphasis could be bothersome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back