Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 4, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #6,151 of 6,432
A friend of mine who's really getting into headphones and has (his parents') money to burn but doesn't understand specs...

him: "I read they only go down to 20Hz, that means they have no bass right?"

me: *facepalm*

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #6,152 of 6,432
Tell him the first step to knowing audio is to ignore specs. (unless he gets into building stuff, or electrostats (bias))

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #6,153 of 6,432
Quote:
Tell him the first step to knowing audio is to ignore specs. (unless he gets into building stuff, or electrostats (bias))

Specs are appearances 
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #6,154 of 6,432
Quote:
Apparently my description of "luxurious" does not match what she had in her head.
You... I don't like you.

Of course, that's totally just your opinion (and while it might be bad) you are completely entitled to it.
:D
It might take some conditioning, but eventually she will appreciate how fine a good Woodie looks.

Quote:
They are very sturdy in your hands. Albeit, way too heavy.

oh yeah

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #6,155 of 6,432
@JamesHuntington

Awfully grim post there, as well as antagonistic and rude. Just saying sometimes the world is too clean. The only way to strengthen your body's response is to expose it in small doses. Someone that has truly lived in a bubble would have a very poor immune system.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #6,156 of 6,432
Easy way to share earphones without worrying [too much] about bacteria: use your own tips. Or clean the pair being used with an antibacterial tissue. I always carry some disinfectant wipes or hand sanitizer with me.

It's probably worse to drop the earphones on the floor and then use them.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #6,157 of 6,432
To get this thread back on topic...

My Dad when trying out my HE-400s, having never heard HiFi headphones before: "It's like the first time I ever saw an HDTV. I never knew how much detail I was missing until it was in my face."

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6,158 of 6,432
Quote:
To get this thread back on topic...

My Dad when trying out my HE-400s, having never heard HiFi headphones before: "It's like the first time I ever saw an HDTV. I never knew how much detail I was missing until it was in my face."

Which is why the cost leap is too much for most people to make it on their own. Hopefully at some point in a person's life they get exposure to fidelity (regardless of the type of media) through a friend or family member.  I think the whole journey is does make life better.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6,159 of 6,432
Quote:
Which is why the cost leap is too much for most people to make it on their own. Hopefully at some point in a person's life they get exposure to fidelity (regardless of the type of media) through a friend or family member.  I think the whole journey is does make life better.

It was awesome seeing the grin on his face when hearing some of his old favorites "again for the first time." The smile faded a bit when I mentioned the cost of the Schiit M&M stack + the HE-400's to achieve that sound. :p  Hopefully someday I can buy it all for him.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #6,160 of 6,432
Well, I came with my new Philips yday to the office. Everybody looked at me when passing in front
of the window. But no one cares to listen some tunes with it.

A friend of mine, that once was a local dj, brought his Stanton last week to show them to me.
I've heard and think not so great, but didn't say nothing.

Yesterday, I brought mine mainly to show him and ask his opinion. Surprisingly, when I offer him
to hear something, he just said: nah, thanks, I'm cool.

I've thought about it and can't make heads and tails of that... who knows...

And that were the reactions about my newest acquisition... 

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #6,161 of 6,432
Hobo: kid, hand your money over. *points knife*
Audiophile: *pulls out rig and turns unit on* you get out of my way or Imma take you with me...
Hobo: *runs away*

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #6,162 of 6,432
So I dont want to start another rant about beats by dre but today my ginger friend said that beats are superior to my souls (which sound very good btw) and now he made his friends think the same thing.... help me

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #6,163 of 6,432
Well....gingers don't have souls...so.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #6,164 of 6,432
Quote:
So I dont want to start another rant about beats by dre but today my ginger friend said that beats are superior to my souls (which sound very good btw) and now he made his friends think the same thing.... help me

They probably do sound better.

If I were your "ginger friend" I would go ahead and make new friends.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #6,165 of 6,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back