Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #5,926 of 6,432
Quote:
HE-300 is, IMO, pointless. It's a dynamic headphone, so you're not getting any of the planar magnetic goodness that is HiFiMan's upper-tier products (with the 400, 500, and 6).

The HE-400 is very fun and colored. The HE-500 is very neutral and refined. The HE-6 is basically a better, harder to drive version of the HE-500.

I don't own any of the units, so I can't comment on how hard any of them are to drive.

Well that's a bit of an fallacy in and of itself. Them being dynamic in this case needn't be a vice. For what they do, and what they aim to do, and the price that they're doing it with, they do quite nicely. In fact, they were just nice, period (mid-centric, lush and smooth). Doesn't seem to make sense to compare them with the other models above them.

Mostly agree with the other impressions on the planars though. What'd you run them through while demoing them? Nvm, you haven't heard them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5,928 of 6,432
$250, around HD598 performance (actually a pretty similar sound overall but with more bass kick) but cleaner and the mids are balanced out more because of the bass. So yeah, pretty good value. Also much lighter than the planars. Introduced a friend to audio with these, so I'll take his word for it on how nice these are long-term.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #5,930 of 6,432
Quote:
Get M50's, they're better !

Post from 3 years ago - quite a necro-bump 
wink.gif

And I think the M50 hype train has flown it's course.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5,931 of 6,432
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #5,936 of 6,432
Oh!  I remember when I asked my boss to order me my headphone.

Boss:  Wha... what?  Wh... why are these so expensive?
Me:  These are different from just an ordinary earphone.
Boss:  You can get your girl some other cheaper and more impressive stuff.
Me:  Sir, it's not for anyone else but me.
Boss:  B-but why?
Me:  *Smile ("You'll see when I get them" I thought).
Boss:  Oh, well.  It's your money.

He inspected the item himself before relinquishing the items to me.  Too bad, he pretended he knew what he was listening to.  "Good" he says, but only talking about the packaging.
Sigh.  Some people just don't get it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #5,937 of 6,432

Quote:
You shoulda got the m50s. lol. You should have told that guy to get the Sennheiser Orpheus He90 and HEV-90.
tongue_smile.gif

It's too bad that he probably wouldn't have recognized the Sennheiser brand name, let alone their legendary flagship (and its matching amp).

Oh!  I remember when I asked my boss to order me my headphone.

Boss:  Wha... what?  Wh... why are these so expensive?
Me:  These are different from just an ordinary earphone.
Boss:  You can get your girl some other cheaper and more impressive stuff.
Me:  Sir, it's not for anyone else but me.
Boss:  B-but why?
Me:  *Smile ("You'll see when I get them" I thought).
Boss:  Oh, well.  It's your money.

He inspected the item himself before relinquishing the items to me.  Too bad, he pretended he knew what he was listening to.  "Good" he says, but only talking about the packaging.
Sigh.  Some people just don't get it.

Trust me, a lot of people don't get it. It took my mom literally a month and a half of explanations as to why $700 headphones are justifiable. She was satisfied... until she asked me about my "silver boxes" (Schiit Asgard/Bifrost). I still haven't told her how much those set me back.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #5,938 of 6,432
Quote:
It's too bad that he probably wouldn't have recognized the Sennheiser brand name, let alone their legendary flagship (and its matching amp).

Trust me, a lot of people don't get it. It took my mom literally a month and a half of explanations as to why $700 headphones are justifiable. She was satisfied... until she asked me about my "silver boxes" (Schiit Asgard/Bifrost). I still haven't told her how much those set me back.

Thats the problem I'm facing, I have the money for the HE500's and want to get them really bad however my parents won't let me spend my money on them, let alone amp/dac combo for 500$+. Luckily I already have a large amp/dac at home that will power any headphones sub1000$ without any issues, I wouldn't be able to imagine how I would be possibly able to convince my parents to spend money on a headphone amp. 

Anyway recently I had a funny incident at school, one of my friends was looking at Beats Pro when I showed him the V-Moda's M-100 knowing he was a basshead like 90% of headphone consumers. When he saw them on the website he told me that Beats Pro have better sound quality because they are 100$ more. Standard teenagers :D

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5,940 of 6,432
Friend listened to my LCD-2.2s and ALO Pan Am: "I don't really hear the difference between these and my $40 desktop speakers...they might have better range"
/cries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back