Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5,596 of 6,432
Just let my mom listen to my Grasp 325is and my ATHM50s see said she liked the Grados best. She asked 'what is this music?' I told her 'Jimmy Budget's and she said 'No way, I have all of his music and I don't recognize this.'   She is now digging through her cd's looking for it.  Maybe she just never heard like it sunds in these headphones?  BTW the song was 'desperation samba'

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #5,597 of 6,432
Quote:
I want to see someone with a properly-driven HE-6 walking around portably...

You could use a Nuforce Icon speaker amp running off an Energizer XP8000 battery pack. Both are roughly the size of a book. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #5,598 of 6,432
Quote:

You could use a Nuforce Icon speaker amp running off an Energizer XP8000 battery pack. Both are roughly the size of a book. 

Maybe the Intruder?

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #5,599 of 6,432
Quote:
that guy is my hero!
biggrin.gif
here in holland when i use the subway people tend to look weird to people wearing big headphones..

I remember the first time I went to Europe as an audiophile, for some reason I thought you guys would all be better-informed with electronics purchases than my friends in the U.S.

I was disappointed to find so many WeSC and Sony cans, when I saw any cans at all.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5,600 of 6,432
i was surprised that i actually saw as many sennheisers as beats here in australlia
(mostly seen on trains and at train stations)

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5,601 of 6,432
Quote:
I remember the first time I went to Europe as an audiophile, for some reason I thought you guys would all be better-informed with electronics purchases than my friends in the U.S.

I was disappointed to find so many WeSC and Sony cans, when I saw any cans at all.

over time.. life got very expensive lately in europe..most things in US are much less expensive then here in europe (in holland anyway!)..when europe went over to euros..some products got 100% more expensive overnight. for instance.. some brands use 1 on 1 prices all around world....like a 699 USD hifiman he500 (u guys pay 699 usd)..in europe it costs 699 euro (921usd!) or even worse in UK they pay 699gbp (1129usd!!
eek.gif
)..and its not only hifiman's who has that kind of pricing wordwide! we in europe are ****ed! even if we wanna buy it online in US we get ****ed the same way..for every package with more worth then 22 euro from USA in holland u pay at least 35% of the total worth (unit price + postage!) as extra!
so u can understand on the streets many people walk around with the less expensive cans..but i agree..lots of sony cans!

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #5,603 of 6,432
Quote:
over time.. life got very expensive lately in europe..most things in US are much less expensive then here in europe (in holland anyway!)..when europe went over to euros..some products got 100% more expensive overnight. for instance.. some brands use 1 on 1 prices all around world....like a 699 USD hifiman he500 (u guys pay 699 usd)..in europe it costs 699 euro (921usd!) or even worse in UK they pay 699gbp (1129usd!!
eek.gif
)..and its not only hifiman's who has that kind of pricing wordwide! we in europe are ****ed! even if we wanna buy it online in US we get ****ed the same way..for every package with more worth then 22 euro from USA in holland u pay at least 35% of the total worth (unit price + postage!) as extra!
so u can understand on the streets many people walk around with the less expensive cans..but i agree..lots of sony cans!

here everything is 150+% MSRP once converted for example 1RM=3USD but an M50 here sells for 700 (700/3= 233 USD)
and a HD598 here costs RM1050 (1050/3= 350USD) 

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #5,604 of 6,432
I'm not too much of an audiophile, more of a future audiophile, but today I got a pretty good settle reaction.

So today for Christmas I received my Sennheiser Momentums, along with a number of CDs. I then listened for 2 hours various songs from The Beatles, Tom Petty, etc, and then went over to my friend's house who got Beat Studios last year for Christmas. We started to politely argue over who's was better. We first talked about build quality. Mine is made out of British Brown Leather and Polished Steel, while his is made of Hard plastic an Pleather.

Then we talked sound Quality. We listened to the Beats first. Then I chose a song from my collection. Two minutes in the song he took them off raised his hands in defense, and said, "Lets talk about something else." I felt warm inside :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #5,605 of 6,432
I'm not too much of an audiophile, more of a future audiophile, but today I got a pretty good settle reaction.
So today for Christmas I received my Sennheiser Momentums, along with a number of CDs. I then listened for 2 hours various songs from The Beatles, Tom Petty, etc, and then went over to my friend's house who got Beat Studios last year for Christmas. We started to politely argue over who's was better. We first talked about build quality. Mine is made out of British Brown Leather and Polished Steel, while his is made of Hard plastic an Pleather.
Then we talked sound Quality. We listened to the Beats first. Then I chose a song from my collection. Two minutes in the song he took them off raised his hands in defense, and said, "Lets talk about something else." I felt warm inside :)

Welcome future audiophile..u made a very good start into audiophile territory with the sennheiser momentums! :cool:
And Well done..that will show those beat studios fanboys :D hehehehe

And merry christmas everyone!

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,607 of 6,432
It's so weird. I own a pair of DT770 which cost me rougly $230 and recently purchased a pair of AKG K167 for $300. I'm a student who works about 30+ hours a week and yet, my friends, who can spend that amount of cash on alcohol in just one night, tell me I'm crazy. A pair of nice headphones are like an investment. My DT770 looks and feels as good as new even though they're soon 2 years old.

I have a friend, without a job, who goes out drinking each and every weekend spending his very last dime. While I'm making $1.5K a month while in school and spends $300 on a pair of high-end headphones, he calls me crazy.

Can anyon explain this phenomena?

Binging on alcohol kills way too many braincells!:D lol!

A friend of mine in NZ smokes nearly a pack of cigs a day. They cost at minimum 25nz dollars a pack. That's about 200-250 dollars a week. He freely admits he probably spends 500 a month on vices not including alcohol. And yet when I told him how much my M50s were, he shook his head as if I wasted my money. Go figure! :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5,608 of 6,432
Quote:
Then we talked sound Quality. We listened to the Beats first. Then I chose a song from my collection. Two minutes in the song he took them off raised his hands in defense, and said, "Lets talk about something else." I felt warm inside
smily_headphones1.gif

K.O.! Beatdown!

You're an audiophile when your drug is music. xD

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,609 of 6,432
K.O.! Beatdown!

By your definition, I might already be an audiophile. After that little headphone debate we had, I continued to listen to music with my Momentums for 5 hours strait. And for the first 2 hours I really wanted to skip around like they did in overly joy music videos where they clap their heels back in the 60s. And I actually did for a little bit :p

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5,610 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:
K.O.! Beatdown!

By your definition, I might already be an audiophile. After that little headphone debate we had, I continued to listen to music with my Momentums for 5 hours strait. And for the first 2 hours I really wanted to skip around like they did in overly joy music videos where they clap their heels back in the 60s. And I actually did for a little bit :p

How old are you, man? I wish I could've done that today.. Had to go to the movies though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back