Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,416 of 6,432
How? The XBA-4s are massive! I can't even turn over on the pillow with my XBA-3s in. Shures however...zzzzzzz....

Well, in my camp that day, there's no space for you to even turn! XD It's real small. Where as at home, while sleeping I don't have that habit to turn over. :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5,417 of 6,432
and people say sleeping with glasses is not comfortable, yet its nothing compared to sleeping with full size headphones
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5,419 of 6,432
Quote:
and people say sleeping with glasses is not comfortable, yet its nothing compared to sleeping with full size headphones
biggrin.gif

I would actually like to see a "headphones for sleep" forum covering the in's and out's of this with different cans. There's nothing as relaxing as listening to headphones in bed, and I've noticed some are a lot better at it than others.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,420 of 6,432
I would actually like to see a "headphones for sleep" forum covering the in's and out's of this with different cans. There's nothing as relaxing as listening to headphones in bed, and I've noticed some are a lot better at it than others.

I think i once read about sleeping with iems in ur ears..medically its no problem..problems occur when u roll in ur sleep..as we all know ..all people roll while sleeping..the cable can then be like a robe..and can even hang u if its strong enough..and if not..it will destroy ur headphone while tearing in two by pulling at it while rolling..so in any case..its no good idea to sleep with anything with strong cables attached..but if u have iems with detachable cables..thats a whole new ballgame..as u can sleep with those without the cable..but then again u can buy sound blocking thingies for a few quit in the market..so why do it at all...imho ofcourse!

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #5,421 of 6,432
Quote:
I think i once read about sleeping with iems in ur ears..medically its no problem..problems occur when u roll in ur sleep..as we all know ..all people roll while sleeping..the cable can then be like a robe..and can even hang u if its strong enough..and if not..it will destroy ur headphone while tearing in two by pulling at it while rolling..so in any case..its no good idea to sleep with anything with strong cables attached..but if u have iems with detachable cables..thats a whole new ballgame..as u can sleep with those without the cable..but then again u can buy sound blocking thingies for a few quit in the market..so why do it at all...imho ofcourse!

That cable issue is something i've certainly dealt with, as it's easy to get them caught up between the pillow, sheets, and mattress. My Grados, with their thick, annoyingly cord seem to be the worst at this, but since they are my cheap, DIY-fixable headphones, and since they have the ability to swivel earcups (so that I can lay on my side while I fall asleep) I use them to go to bed alot. Probably not a good idea, considering how flimsy they are but - knock on wood - they've survived my naps intact, usually ending up somewhere beside my pillow when I awake, and once or twice on the floor. I'd like to wear my ultra-comfy, ultra-relaxing Beyers to bed, but I am paranoid about hurting them and they are too big (I don't wear them in bed as much as I lay down into them) This is one of those situation thats IEMs can't be beat. I never thought about the strangulation hazard, though admittedly my main concern is destroying one of my beloved headphones in unconscious slumber.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5,422 of 6,432
Quote:

I've got the solution:

Wireless pillow earmuffs

With planar drivers in it 
biggrin.gif
 (why the pic? liked the chick :) )

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned, seems like some japanese guys already thought of something similar lol!!

http://www.techfresh.net/music-ear-muff-keeps-your-ears-warm-this-winter/

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #5,423 of 6,432
Quote:
I've got the solution:

Wireless pillow earmuffs

With planar drivers in it 
biggrin.gif
 (why the pic? liked the chick :) )

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned, seems like some japanese guys already thought of something similar lol!!

http://www.techfresh.net/music-ear-muff-keeps-your-ears-warm-this-winter/

Currys/PCworld sells them in the UK. I saw them next to the counter when I was in there to pick up my Nexus 7.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5,424 of 6,432
One acquaintance at school (I wouldn't say friend) said, "What the screw is that!" after he had seen my Pan Am. After a few minutes of listening, he said "That's what it must sound like at the studio!" This was after using my K702s. (I brought the Pan Am to lend it to another head-fier, who is currently trying it out with his HD600s) A few of my friends tried it and loved it. And then, just as I was packing up, one kid picked then up as I was talking to someone else and gave them a listen. He said, "They have no sound canceling and are terrible." I proceeded to tell him that no, isolation is not what determines sound quality and that these are open backed headphones, which are supposed to be like that. Of course, he told me that all headphones are designed for "sound canceling" and that all the best headphones, like Beats and Bose have "sound canceling," so therefore my headphones are bad. I sort of gave up after that...
Anyhow, I bet my friend is enjoying his HD600s with the Pan Am. Once I sell my K702 and Arcam rPAC, I'll get my hands on a HD650 or LCD-2/3.

P.S. One of my friends wants to get a portable phone he can plug straight into his iDevice with a $200 budget. I'm thinking HD-25s? dakmart has them for $150. I may get a pair myself, for school use.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5,425 of 6,432
Quote:
You paid how much for these!?

Generally speaking.

Although among the people I know, I am generally the go-to guy for anyone who's in the market for headphones and is looking for advice/recommendations.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #5,426 of 6,432
Quote:
One acquaintance at school (I wouldn't say friend) said, "What the screw is that!" after he had seen my Pan Am. After a few minutes of listening, he said "That's what it must sound like at the studio!" This was after using my K702s. (I brought the Pan Am to lend it to another head-fier, who is currently trying it out with his HD600s) A few of my friends tried it and loved it. And then, just as I was packing up, one kid picked then up as I was talking to someone else and gave them a listen. He said, "They have no sound canceling and are terrible." I proceeded to tell him that no, isolation is not what determines sound quality and that these are open backed headphones, which are supposed to be like that. Of course, he told me that all headphones are designed for "sound canceling" and that all the best headphones, like Beats and Bose have "sound canceling," so therefore my headphones are bad. I sort of gave up after that...
Anyhow, I bet my friend is enjoying his HD600s with the Pan Am. Once I sell my K702 and Arcam rPAC, I'll get my hands on a HD650 or LCD-2/3.
P.S. One of my friends wants to get a portable phone he can plug straight into his iDevice with a $200 budget. I'm thinking HD-25s? dakmart has them for $150. I may get a pair myself, for school use.

drop the kid

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,427 of 6,432
rofl... I LOVE THIS THREAD
WIN WIN WIN

only experience i have is letting my poor friend try my crossfades, he asked if it was one of those ones that made your brain melt and i said "kinda"

he then took a half hour walk to the store with them

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5,429 of 6,432
rofl... I LOVE THIS THREAD
WIN WIN WIN

only experience i have is letting my poor friend try my crossfades, he asked if it was one of those ones that made your brain melt and i said "kinda"

he then took a half hour walk to the store with them

Can u imagine if he would listen to a he500/lcd2-3/hd800/sr007-009 and the sort with the right amping..his head would explode like a vulcano..and he still would be a happy man.. :D

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #5,430 of 6,432
Generally speaking.

Although among the people I know, I am generally the go-to guy for anyone who's in the market for headphones and is looking for advice/recommendations.

Funny..me too..as is most of the people here on headfi who take the time to do honest comparisions for themselves (with their ears) before they make any purchase concerning audio equipment.. So welcome to the club.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back