Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,386 of 6,432
i don't think its the product itself i find so offensive (on the subject of beats, gimmicks etc) but instead what they pretend to be.. that is what gets to me.
also
two years ago my best friend told me he would never ever spend over £20 on headphones
he currently owns DT990, SRH840 and soon to place an offer for Grado PS500.
which i found very entertaining :p

I know..2 years ago i was the same..until a point i got infected by a very addictive and contageous virus...called headphonitis.... Or was it audiofitis.. When u get it..there is no turning back..ever..u will cary that to ur grave.. :D

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5,387 of 6,432
i used to be a casual listener like you, until i took a sennheiser to my head.
*bad dam tuss*

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #5,388 of 6,432
I let my friends try out my AKG K3003i and they nearly **** a brick, then one of them looked them up to buy a pair and now I'm ridiculed constantly for having a $1,500 pair of earbuds as I continue to buy more and more headphones. Afterwards I let them have another go but with FLAC files through my Fiio E17 Alpen and they loved that. No one ever realizes what they are missing until they trade up for a nicer rig.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #5,389 of 6,432
Quote:
I let my friends try out my AKG K3003i and they nearly **** a brick, then one of them looked them up to buy a pair and now I'm ridiculed constantly for having a $1,500 pair of earbuds as I continue to buy more and more headphones. Afterwards I let them have another go but with FLAC files through my Fiio E17 Alpen and they loved that. No one ever realizes what they are missing until they trade up for a nicer rig.

I would **** a brick too, but I've just totaled up my overall spend on audio gear and it's rather a lot, especially if I convert to $$$. Man that £1800 sounds good though. I think I'll refrain from telling anyone how much my stuff costs.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #5,391 of 6,432
Quote:
Solid idea and my total is to ridiculous to say. I'm kinda ashamed... Although I have restrained myself to spending only 7% of my total savings so I don't go bankrupt .

I'm thinking of getting a pair of customs next spring if my exams go well. Almost makes me wonder if I should try and fail them.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5,392 of 6,432
This was my experience with the introduction to the world of audiophilia...

Never before had I ever really looked or researched audio equipment. For me, the standard for hearing things was always just whatever I was hearing through traditional, low end electronics. Sure I had attended concerts and loud stages before but it wasnt ever anything quite like the first time I put on some high end cans, high end file quality, and power to dish it out. In fact, I didn't even know those things played a factor at all. To me, sound was just sound...

Then came my interest in music...perhaps it was happenstance, maybe even a bit of luck...but the timing was most definitely right. Been a long time fan of trance, and electronica...and sadly I never really knew just how much more visceral the experience could get with a simply adjustment to one's equipment...I dont want to bring drugs into the discussion to violate rules or anything, so Ill just say theres a certain one out there that seems to (in my experience) enhance the audio. In retrospect its almost like the combination of the two act as some imprint on the brain, which would make sense seeing how tones and frequencies can trigger reactions...but anyways i digress...

I happened to do a little bit of research, keep in mind I was (and STILL AM) a noob  with audio products, but I ended up going with the Sennheisers, found a decent starter set of cans and picked up the HD558's at a reasonable price (sale was like 130 dollars)...took em home I remember how excited I was, but hesitant to expect anything great...I mean, how could sound be better than sound right? I was sooo wrong, and it was awesome to be in this case. I popped them open set up my rig, and got my music rollin'...and I was blown away. It was a memorable experience, for a variety of reasons, but simply the audio the noise...it just penetrated my soul...its hard to explain really...but god damn.

I remember feeling like, "this is what Ive been missing?!" it seemed to open up noises I'd never heard before, sounds and beats, rythym it all sort of flowed through me with the sennys. And it was from that day one, nothing ever really sounded the same. Sort of cliche, whatever...but it was truly like awakening in a world of color after years of black and white...just strange and euphoric.

Flash forwards to the present, and I now cringe everytime I have to listen to things through inferior audio products. It makes me laugh when I hear my friends talkin about their turtle beaches, their dre beats, their pieces of ****...hehehe...Thats my story I guess.

TL:DR

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,393 of 6,432
This was my experience with the introduction to the world of audiophilia...

Never before had I ever really looked or researched audio equipment. For me, the standard for hearing things was always just whatever I was hearing through traditional, low end electronics. Sure I had attended concerts and loud stages before but it wasnt ever anything quite like the first time I put on some high end cans, high end file quality, and power to dish it out. In fact, I didn't even know those things played a factor at all. To me, sound was just sound...

Then came my interest in music...perhaps it was happenstance, maybe even a bit of luck...but the timing was most definitely right. Been a long time fan of trance, and electronica...and sadly I never really knew just how much more visceral the experience could get with a simply adjustment to one's equipment...I dont want to bring drugs into the discussion to violate rules or anything, so Ill just say theres a certain one out there that seems to (in my experience) enhance the audio. In retrospect its almost like the combination of the two act as some imprint on the brain, which would make sense seeing how tones and frequencies can trigger reactions...but anyways i digress...

I happened to do a little bit of research, keep in mind I was (and STILL AM) a noob  with audio products, but I ended up going with the Sennheisers, found a decent starter set of cans and picked up the HD558's at a reasonable price (sale was like 130 dollars)...took em home I remember how excited I was, but hesitant to expect anything great...I mean, how could sound be better than sound right? I was sooo wrong, and it was awesome to be in this case. I popped them open set up my rig, and got my music rollin'...and I was blown away. It was a memorable experience, for a variety of reasons, but simply the audio the noise...it just penetrated my soul...its hard to explain really...but god damn.

I remember feeling like, "this is what Ive been missing?!" it seemed to open up noises I'd never heard before, sounds and beats, rythym it all sort of flowed through me with the sennys. And it was from that day one, nothing ever really sounded the same. Sort of cliche, whatever...but it was truly like awakening in a world of color after years of black and white...just strange and euphoric.

Flash forwards to the present, and I now cringe everytime I have to listen to things through inferior audio products. It makes me laugh when I hear my friends talkin about their turtle beaches, their dre beats, their pieces of ****...hehehe...Thats my story I guess.

TL:DR

Welcome to the club.enjoy it!.but a warning..it can ruin ur wallet if ur not careful.. :D

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #5,395 of 6,432
[/SPOILER]
I died inside... A little bit...

Is it allowed to throw up now? But seriously..i have to admit..my first experience with headphones more expensive then 30 euros were bose in ear phones ..nooooo dont kill me..arrrrrggghh :D but soon i saw the light an bought some q-jays and then westones um3x in 2011. And u can see guys where it got me..so yeah..we all say those brands (bose, beats and the like) are laughable soundwise...but i can guess lot of us had some kind of those phones in the past :D and u see..i openly.with the danger of beng hanged here or even banned declare i had a pair....my audiophili started with a pair of bose in ear phones. Now i am going to hide. :D

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #5,396 of 6,432
I'm the same actually.
well i started with sennheiser cx200
then upgraded (???) to some bose in ears
heard some Grado's as i was looking up brands like sennheiser and i must admit.. bose.. <.< on Tottenham court road.
got myself hooked... bought some... and then bought some more... and now here i am

I'm also considerably poorer
Happier
But poorer.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,397 of 6,432
i used to listen to sonic gear headphones (they were so cheap, like $10 and up till maybe $50) like this.... ah darn i can't find the picture, its too old and thus out of stock i guess.

anyway some of the products they made there

HS2000
and

HP800

do they look familiar to you....?
wink.gif

maybe cause they copied this:

Sennheiser HD435
and this

Poineer HDJ 1000

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,398 of 6,432
Maybe the a-brands use those cheap other brands to get into the cheaper market to generate more profit? Sneakily? :D
This is what vag group did for instance in the car market: U have lamborghini-audi-volkswagen-skoda..they have a brand in almost every market with this..so i can imagine some big headphone brands do the same..allthough maybe a bit secretly?

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #5,399 of 6,432
I find particularly curious that those HP800 copy design elements from Audio Technica, Ultrasone and Pioneer
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #5,400 of 6,432
Quote:
I find particularly curious that those HP800 copy design elements from Audio Technica, Ultrasone and Pioneer
wink.gif

well technically if only one part is copied its not so bad, but only if its a significant copy where someone immediately recognizes it as the object it copied than its a red flag,
which part is taken from ultrasone and audiotechnica btw? headband? hindge? pading?

@ hifimanrookie
this is a malaysian brand, well malaysia is famous for ripoffs (or at least selling them) 
for one there is a camera bag company called Steinzeiser see how close it sounds to Sennheiser?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back