Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Sep 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #4,816 of 6,432
At the moment I have a pair of Sr60 and hesh 2.0. I still need to send my hsa golden crystals to be repaired.

I'm saving up for a car, and to be able to move to a state that's less prejudice to tg people, so i might even end up selling most of my gear. :/

Btw as a fan of analytical, with proper eq I actually fond myself wearing the hesh far more often, even in ideal listening conditions where the grados would be far better.

The hesh sing when plugged in to my receiver, and analog mixer.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #4,823 of 6,432
Quote:
Funny thing happened talking to my girlfriend the other day. 

I was talking about how there were some people that like the HD800 more than the SR009 on Head-fi. 

She looked at me wide eyed and just said (loudly) "HOW!? How could they think that? I mean the HD800 sounded good and everything...but damn! The 009 was so much better."

I agree. She's still not happy I just bought a pair.

LOL - was she being sarcastic or she got pulled into this hobby as well?

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4,824 of 6,432
No she was serious. It's hard to recognize tone over the internet, but it was very obvious that she heard the same huge difference I did.

Quote:

LOL - was she being sarcastic or she got pulled into this hobby as well?

There have been points in my life where I've had to live without both of those things and I honestly feel better for it. One thing that I've recommended to everyone I know in a relationship was this...stop talking for a week or 2 completely with your partner. The ways you have to communicate are pretty astounding. It especially helps with more personal feelings.

I've long since accepted my life without either of those things...and while it would be hard it would absolutely be doable for me (not that I take them for granted, of course). You gain new understanding when you can't walk for awhile as well.

Quote:
you say that but damn, just imagine all the problems and obstacles you'd have if you couldn't communicate through speech or be able to walk.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,825 of 6,432
I saw many different reactions from my friends and family. Some of them were positive, but other quite the opposite.
Take for instance my sweetheart, she cannot stand my headphones.
She uses her favourite Koss PortaPro. She made two attempts at my DT880Pros and each time the result was the same - complete rejection. She said that she felt like she was inside well, she felt uncomfortable and instantly tired.

Honestly I'm not surprised. Those DTs have great imaging capabilities and soundstage is huge compared to the PortaPros. She is accustomed to receiving music as a final product, taking it in as a whole. You cannot do that with hi-fi equipment, because all of the ingredients are there separately. It is up to the listener to stitch them together, but that takes a lot of effort and some people are just not willing to do that. It's like a slowing a puzzle - we like it because it stimulates us and gives us joy, but others just don't find it interesting at all. At least that's how I interpret it.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,826 of 6,432
Hmm, that's a good way of putting it.  Many of us(myself included) are looking for that right fabric combination so to speak.
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,827 of 6,432
She is accustomed to receiving music as a final product, taking it in as a whole. You cannot do that with hi-fi equipment, because all of the ingredients are there separately. It is up to the listener to stitch them together...

Sounds to me like you're not listening to the right hi-fi. The very best setups I've heard so far are both extremely revealing yet unfailingly musical at the same time. You can focus on the individual components but you really don't care to, all you want is to listen. I think what you're describing here are overly analytical systems, which certainly can have that sort of an effect. It is not however inherent to all hi-fi, just some systems.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4,828 of 6,432
Quote:
Sounds to me like you're not listening to the right hi-fi. The very best setups I've heard so far are both extremely revealing yet unfailingly musical at the same time. You can focus on the individual components but you really don't care to, all you want is to listen. I think what you're describing here are overly analytical systems, which certainly can have that sort of an effect. It is not however inherent to all hi-fi, just some systems.

You are probably right. I have some biased point of view in this subject. I love complex music and analytical systems that are able expose it's multi-layered structure. I guess not everyone likes it that way. But still I think that there is something to it. Unwanted information becomes noise, and I think that a good system delivers more information then poor one. Sometimes You just don't want that extra information - I know from my own experience. Do You always use Your best headphones? I don't. When I cannot get my full attention into listening, I prefer my portable cans because they won't distract me from what I'm doing. Many people don't take their time to just listen to music - they always do something concurrently. It's no wonder they don't want better headphones.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4,829 of 6,432
My friend tried out my He-400's today, and his first response was "****, It sounds like Jeff Mangum (Lead singer for Neutral Milk Hotel) is standing in the room."

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,830 of 6,432
Quote:
My friend tried out my He-400's today, and his first response was "****, It sounds like Jeff Mangum (Lead singer for Neutral Milk Hotel) is standing in the room."

Ah. Neutral Milk Hotel. One of my fav bands
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back