Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Aug 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #4,726 of 6,432
I let my friends listen to my D5000's when they were over. One of them said they were too bassy. Turns out he knows some guy who owns HD800's and has done some listening with his pair.

My father said the Mad Dogs sounded remarkably lifelike when listening to Stern and Zukerman play Bach.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #4,727 of 6,432
Quote:
You know you are an audio addict when you ask your mother what is the burn in period for her new car.
biggrin.gif

i think its 300 kms or something like that 

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,729 of 6,432
Quote:

... Oh, I just got it, LOL. Still, who else here is semi-skeptical about burning in headphones? I get that it could take a few days for a headphone's sound signature to change, but months? 

MONTHS? That's certainly not a popular idea; I've never heard anyone claim over 400 hours before.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #4,733 of 6,432
This thread has gotten so far off topic...

Anyways the other day I brought my (relatively) new HD598s over to my buddy's apartment. He's just getting into higher end audio, and has some M50s (purchased from this site) on the way.

He opened up some loops that he'd been working on and put the headphones on. He smiles, frowns, and starts cursing. He takes the cans off and says: "It took me 4 hours to make that- and these make it sound like  horses***." 

He spent the rest of the night with them on and ignored me completely. 
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #4,734 of 6,432

Anyways the other day I brought my (relatively) new HD598s over to my buddy's apartment. He's just getting into higher end audio, and has some M50s (purchased from this site) on the way.

He opened up some loops that he'd been working on and put the headphones on. He smiles, frowns, and starts cursing. He takes the cans off and says: "It took me 4 hours to make that- and these make it sound like  horses***." 

He spent the rest of the night with them on and ignored me completely. :frowning2:

Lol.
I listen to a lot of beginner fruity loop tracks on another forum and often it sounds horrible on any detailed pair of headphones ~.~

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,736 of 6,432
I recently showed my audio technica m50s to a friend of mine who swears by his beats solos. I expected to him to defend the beats saying that they are better but to my surprise he zoned out for a couple of minutes than he took off the headphones and said something along the lines of 'holy ****, these are amazing'. Now he wants to sell his beats and buy some proper headphones. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,737 of 6,432
Quote:

MONTHS? That's certainly not a popular idea; I've never heard anyone claim over 400 hours before.

My apologies. I seem to have misphrased my words; what I actually meant was something along the lines of, yes, 400 to 600 hours (or in the extreme case of the K701, nearly a thousand hours). By "months", I meant that it would take an average listener that long before the headphones become properly burned-in, with regular usage.

Sorry for the mini-heart attack XD

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #4,738 of 6,432
Quote:

My apologies. I seem to have misphrased my words; what I actually meant was something along the lines of, yes, 400 to 600 hours (or in the extreme case of the K701, nearly a thousand hours). By "months", I meant that it would take an average listener that long before the headphones become properly burned-in, with regular usage.

Sorry for the mini-heart attack XD

Haha, I thought you might have meant that. I burn mine in 24/7 so that was the first thing to come to mind.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #4,739 of 6,432
Quote:

He spent the rest of the night with them on and ignored me completely. 
frown.gif

I laugh everytime I read this lol

I actually got a taste of open-air headphones from a friend at college.  He had HD555's and he also knows about this site.  He said he liked mine more because of the bass, but the HD555's by far are the clearest headphones I have ever heard in my life.  I wish I could get that clarity with bass :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4,740 of 6,432
Quote:

I laugh everytime I read this lol

I actually got a taste of open-air headphones from a friend at college.  He had HD555's and he also knows about this site.  He said he liked mine more because of the bass, but the HD555's by far are the clearest headphones I have ever heard in my life.  I wish I could get that clarity with bass :frowning2:

You can, you just have to spend a lot more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back