Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4,531 of 6,432
how does the ATH-AD700 compare to the Senn HD598 in terms of soundstage? these have good soundstages if im not mistaken

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #4,533 of 6,432
Most so-called non-audiophiles that I know really aren't so 'non'. They just don't see the need to spend that kind of cheddar, particularly in this day and age. Even I've lost the urge to sample everything and anything. At any rate...

Best comment I ever experienced (about 15-16 yrs ago), from a former co-worker, though he actually wasn't a 'non' as well (RIP). Went more or less like this:  "I wish you'd stop wasting your money on all of this hi-fi gear. All it does it make ME waste my hard-earned cash for MY next piece of equipment". Not exclusively related to cans, but I do recall vividly that after he first listened to my old HD650 set, he went out and bought a set for himself. Miss him; a very good friend indeed.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #4,535 of 6,432
well for me i will not be willing to go any higher than the current 558 i have, since i probably will not appreciate the difference, and mostly money is hard to come by, this will hopefully last me a long time

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #4,536 of 6,432
Girlfriends will always complain... especially when the money for headphones can be used on her pair of shoes or clothes...

Main reason: I can't hear the difference, so it doesn't worth it...

Or: Even when I can hear the difference, I don't see why you "need" to buy a new one.

Boys (like me) will be boys. New toys are especially intriguing...

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #4,537 of 6,432
My wife listens to my Grado 325is...she even says that they sound better than anything that she has ever head....but that they still should not cost $300 and that as good as they sound she would still not personally buy them.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #4,538 of 6,432
Quote:
Girlfriends will always complain... especially when the money for headphones can be used on her pair of shoes or clothes...

Main reason: I can't hear the difference, so it doesn't worth it...

Or: Even when I can hear the difference, I don't see why you "need" to buy a new one.

Boys (like me) will be boys. New toys are especially intriguing...

I guess the reason 'I can't see the difference, so it is not worth it' doesn't also apply for shoes? :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #4,539 of 6,432
I need to get my hands on a decent Grado to let my girlfriend decide. I really think Grado would be the way to go for her.

Quote:
My wife listens to my Grado 325is...she even says that they sound better than anything that she has ever head....but that they still should not cost $300 and that as good as they sound she would still not personally buy them.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,540 of 6,432
Quote:
well for me i will not be willing to go any higher than the current 558 i have, since i probably will not appreciate the difference, and mostly money is hard to come by, this will hopefully last me a long time

One thing I've learned since coming to this forum:
"I'm not willing to spend any more..." = "Maybe just another round." 
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4,541 of 6,432
Quote:
"I'm not willing to spend any more..." = "Maybe just another round."

seriously, I just pulled a trigger on a m50 special edition after selling 2 of my headphones to upgrade my amp.

worse is that one of the headphones I bought using the money from selling my first pair of m50's

I feel this thread is being Hijacked

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #4,542 of 6,432
I got up to the HE500 and ended up selling everything I owned because I felt it was just too much no matter how good it was...And now look at me...

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4,544 of 6,432
Consumerism is like a disease. You will end up always wanting to buy MORE, and it will never end. The term audiophile is in itself a cross between music lover and big consumer. I know lots of music lovers and instrumentalists who are good consumers but I also know those who are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back