Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #4,306 of 6,432

Quote:
In my opinion, most people who buy Beats are simply unaware that there are a lot of better 'phones that cost much less than even the cheapest of the Beats line up (I believe that's the Solo HD?), or teens who can't deal with peer pressure. It's unfortunate, but not exactly a damnable offense.

It really is sad... I was just pointing out how they complained about the cost (AD700: $105) but found Beats perfectly reasonable (Solos: $170).

Go figure.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #4,307 of 6,432

Quote:

It really is sad... I was just pointing out how they complained about the cost (AD700: $105) but found Beats perfectly reasonable (Solos: $170).

Go figure.

One word: Consumers *meh*

EDIT:

Maybe they just weren't aware of how big A-T's reputation is in the world of high-end audio. From a disconcertingly large amount of people's perspective, Beats are probably the number one brand for majority of recording studios and *shudder* audiophiles. Ignorance trumps logic every time :/

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #4,308 of 6,432

Quote:

EDIT:

Maybe they just weren't aware of how big A-T's reputation is in the world of high-end audio. From a disconcertingly large amount of people's perspective, Beats are probably the number one brand for majority of recording studios and *shudder* audiophiles. Ignorance trumps logic every time :/

We are consumers too, by the way. Only most of us are informed consumers. Ignorance is always easier on your mind than to be appraised of things that you thought was right is wrong all along. That's how the human minds work, (un)fortunately.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4,309 of 6,432

Quote:

EDIT:

True words brother...  No one last night had heard of AT, AKG, FiiO and only one had heard of Senny's.  All of them had either heard of Beats or Dr Dre.    Beats are still all the tweens and teens want apparently and with a name like Dre behind them they think the name makes the headphones super-cool and high end.  Also they are visually striking.  I can't get mad at it, I can just try an edumacate those who are willing to listen.  I myself am no guru and I've been learning through trial and error like everyone else and by reading the opinions of the people on these boards.

I explained about the difference may be minimal with the E5 paired with the beats, but it may make all the difference in the world to one young 'un's listening experience.  I was just chuffed they gave me the chance to show how portable audio could sound.  I just wish my E17 had arrived...

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #4,310 of 6,432
Their logic does make perfect sense, I'll give 'em that. If the professionals design a certain product and use it for all of their work, you would expect it to be a good product. Unfortunately this just doesn't apply to headphones.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #4,311 of 6,432

Quote:
We are consumers too, by the way. Only most of us are informed consumers. Ignorance is always easier on your mind than to be appraised of things that you thought was right is wrong all along. That's how the human minds work, (un)fortunately.

Hmm, good point. I'll try to choose my words more carefully in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

But yeah, I sometimes wish I'd never gotten into this hobby (my wallet heartily concurs). Then I put on Pink Floyd's The Wall and I take it all back in a second 
k701smile.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #4,313 of 6,432
this is one conversation i had with another guy on the tennis team, i had my HD448s on at the time.

Him- "Nice headphones you got there". Then he looked more closely and said "I've never heard of Sennheiser".
Me- "It's german"
Him- "Okay but is it better than beats?"
Me- "........"
him- "Can i try them out?" I let him and once he was done he said my headphones were amazing

The first time i wore them to school i caught many people's attention, including the head of the music department. One i told him it was a sennheiser headphone, he said good choice but with everyone else they said wth.... wat is this sennheiser?. Only a select few in my school know other headphone brands besides skullcandy,beats, bose, sony, etc. And yes people have asked me are they better than beats but once they say that i just walk away.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #4,314 of 6,432

Quote:
this is one conversation i had with another guy on the tennis team, i had my HD448s on at the time.

Him- "Nice headphones you got there". Then he looked more closely and said "I've never heard of Sennheiser".
Me- "It's german"
Me- "........"
him- "Can i try them out?" I let him and once he was done he said my headphones were amazing

The first time i wore them to school i caught many people's attention, including the head of the music department. One i told him it was a sennheiser headphone, he said good choice but with everyone else they said wth.... wat is this sennheiser?. Only a select few in my school know other headphone brands besides skullcandy,beats, bose, sony, etc. And yes people have asked me are they better than beats but once they say that i just walk away.

You know what, I get that asked a lot as well, the difference is that I just say yes and they still mind their way

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #4,315 of 6,432

Quote:

Me- "It's german"
Me- "........"

Okay, feeling a bit sentimental at the moment. I used to own the Sennheiser HD 428 (my first pair of "decent" headphones), but their build quality being what it is, they only  lasted me about half a year. Still, they eventually led me to the path of high-fidelity audio, which is why I can blame Sennheiser for the state my wallet's in right now :p

Out of curiosity, how many other people have tried out your Senns? Any funny reactions to share?

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #4,316 of 6,432

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how many other people have tried out your Senns? Any funny reactions to share?

Lending my IE7 (a major upgrade over my previous universal IEM's except the EX700, UE18 and E500) to a few classmates long time ago, one of them that owned the second Beats by Dre product to come out the Solo's did a comparison and at the end asked me if I wanted to trade my IE7 for his Solo's. 

The past..........

Another encounter was back in when I was in the High School day's, I think it was back in 2006, had my first IEM, the SE500 by Shure. Think it was the first triple driver IEM released to the audiophile market....anyway....had few old school electronica dance music going on with a few friends who thought that something so small could sound so good. About a year later my E500's were stolen :frowning2:

About 2-3 years later, I landed myself with 2 more high end IEM's and 1 of them opened a path for me to the world of CIEM, bought the EX700 and the UE18 CIEM and was absolutely blown away by the sound of the UE18. Long story short, I eventually sold off both in order to gather desperate funds for school, the EX700 I found the highs too harsh and the UE18's......gosh I miss them, wonder how they would stack up to today's JH13/16, Heir Audio 8A or my ES5's.

EDIT: It was the E500PTH not SE sorry.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #4,317 of 6,432

Quote:
Lending my IE7 (a major upgrade over my previous universal IEM's except the EX700, UE18 and E500) to a few classmates long time ago, one of them that owned the second Beats by Dre product to come out the Solo's did a comparison and at the end asked me if I wanted to trade my IE7 for his Solo's. 

The past..........

Another encounter was back in when I was in the High School day's, I think it was back in 2006, had my first IEM, the SE500 by Shure. Think it was the first triple driver IEM released to the audiophile market....anyway....had few old school electronica dance music going on with a few friends who thought that something so small could sound so good. About a year later my E500's were stolen :frowning2:

About 2-3 years later, I landed myself with 2 more high end IEM's and 1 of them opened a path for me to the world of CIEM, bought the EX700 and the UE18 CIEM and was absolutely blown away by the sound of the UE18. Long story short, I eventually sold off both in order to gather desperate funds for school, the EX700 I found the highs too harsh and the UE18's......gosh I miss them, wonder how they would stack up to today's JH13/16, Heir Audio 8A or my ES5's.

EDIT: It was the E500PTH not SE sorry.

I don't suppose you accepted the trade? :wink:

Wow, you got the SE500s back in high school? You must've taken this hobby pretty seriously. Still, it sucks that someone thought to pocket them. I guess that's the one downside of showing off your gear in public, particularly when it's something as compact as an IEM. 

Since you've owned both CIEMs and universal-fits, would you say that customs are a significant improvement over universals, with the same configurations (as if both having the same number and type of drivers), enough to justify the price gap?

P.S.
You went straight for the UE18s? Hmm, that's a bit daring. As of now, what's the best pair of IEMs you've had? 

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,318 of 6,432
OK, I'm about 30 minutes into having my audiophile cherry popped...

In the past, I had gotten used to 128 kb/s MP3s, but now I am feeding lossless Frank Zappa/John Coltrane through a (lightly used) new set of AKG Q701s... amp has yet to arrive unfortunately... and my first impression is...

I can't freaking believe how comfortable these headphones are. Seriously, each earpiece is like the size of a grapefruit. Am I even wearing headphones right now? Because if I close my eyes, it just kinda feels like I'm in a room with musicians all around me...

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4,319 of 6,432

Quote:

In the past, I had gotten used to 128 kb/s MP3s, but now I am feeding lossless Frank Zappa/John Coltrane through a (lightly used) new set of AKG Q701s... amp has yet to arrive unfortunately... and my first impression is...

I can't freaking believe how comfortable these headphones are. Seriously, each earpiece is like the size of a grapefruit. Am I even wearing headphones right now? Because if I close my eyes, it just kinda feels like I'm in a room with musicians all around me...

hows your wallet going?

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #4,320 of 6,432

Quote:

Also, it's kinda cool that you jumped straight to the Q701s. The thing is though, those are the kind of cans that need a few hundred hours of burn-in before they sound their best. If you think they're awesome now, check in with yourself in about half a year and compare notes XD

Lucky that you got cans that agree with your taste in music, by the way. When you get that high up the upgrade ladder, spending that much money on headphones with a sound sig that doesn't match your music preferences is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a newbie audiophile.

P.S.
If no one's said it yet:
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. 

... I've always wanted to say that :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back