Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 27, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #4,111 of 6,432

Quote:
I don't disagree with your first point about beats making headphones popular, and I think they deserve some credit for softening people up to buying multi-hundred dollar headphones, and making audiophilia seem more reasonable. However, I do think that the abundance of HD280s is an anomaly, or you're looking specifically for them. Compare the number of 280s you see to the number of iBuds and Skullcandies you see, and I think you'll see the disparity. (though the hipster neighbors might have something to do with it). 

On the second point, I'm sure that they work fine for basic recording and monitoring purposes, but even professional DJs don't use Beats (Studios, at least, maybe the Pros). Again, it's mostly a silly hype/style thing. Also, I've noticed that a lot of musicians aren't too concerned about perfect recording and playback fidelity. My explanation of this is simple: Why listen to a recording when you can make the music yourself? 
wink.gif

How can you compare the number of iBuds, which come with iDevices with HD280s? Surely it's only fair to judge them against similarly priced upgrades? I don't see that many people out and about wearing Senns but I know a lot of people that use them behind closed doors. Perhaps being in Europe has something to do with that. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #4,112 of 6,432

Quote:

How can you compare the number of iBuds, which come with iDevices with HD280s? Surely it's only fair to judge them against similarly priced upgrades? I don't see that many people out and about wearing Senns but I know a lot of people that use them behind closed doors. Perhaps being in Europe has something to do with that. 

You have a point, I was being inconsistent. Maybe being in Europe, you don't see as many Beats or Skullcandies as we do here in the States. Lucky you!

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #4,114 of 6,432
I've seen one guy at my university with Beats. Some Bose and some Sennheiser but mostly Apple earbuds. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #4,115 of 6,432

Quote:
I've seen one guy at my university with Beats. Some Bose and some Sennheiser but mostly Apple earbuds. 

i've seen several people with beats at both of my universities, sadly.. One guy with beyerdynamic DT 770's and a clip and amp, a couple guys with grados, one guy with a vintage akg or audiotechnica (like, super vintage) annnd lots and lots of earbuds. one or two pairs of portapros, those always brighten my day. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,116 of 6,432
Beats are absolutely all over the place in Bristol.  And Skullcandy (which I've never heard, but I assume also sound pretty bad... still at least they don't cost the earth).

You don't often see anything of particular interest other than the occasional pair of Grados.  You get a lot of Bose wearers.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #4,117 of 6,432
skullcandy is the best candy.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,119 of 6,432

Quote:
I agree with the evaluation of teenage psychology regarding sound, as the bass is really the most obvious component of the music to boost, given the type of music that's in the mainstream. Also, I think the HD280s are more popular as cheap monitors rather than consumer cans. the average person will not be willing to go out wearing that, even if it sounds better than their earbuds. Us here, we're pretty geeky for wearing them. 
tongue.gif

Another reason IMO is the abundance of low-quality music files that people listen to, with the rise of the internet and file-sharing, etc. 

Well I'm 17 :p. I can see that though. Thanks for input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back