Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3,871 of 6,432
Grados aren't that bad when used outside.
And yes, open cans may save your life :D

Quote:

You wear Grados outside?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, surely with them being open headphones and all the volume on your player has to get awfully high to drown out background noise?

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,872 of 6,432

Quote:
You wear Grados outside?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, surely with them being open headphones and all the volume on your player has to get awfully high to drown out background noise?

Wore the 325i out a few times but decided that was an exercise in madness, even I have some restraint!

I find that leakage (out) with the SR80i is not quite as bad as the 325i which tends to act as a passive
 mobile speaker on the go, but in general I just accept the ambient noise around me, crossing a busy
 street - traffic noise becomes part of the mix on my track selection.

My M50's have caught me out a few times - not sure I would want more isolation than that myself
 for the safety reasons that others have pointed out eg, something like the Ultrasone Signature Pro
 could be as dangerous as a custom IEM for me. Get caught up in the music...and bang!

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,873 of 6,432
Well, I have worn in-ears outside, and I still do. I strongly think that visual side is more important than hearing. I mean, if you cross a street without looking, you deserve to get run over. I check both directions well because drivers are mostly pooholes around here. One can also see much further than hear, especially with all the noise out there. Obviously reducing the hearing does no good, but it still shouldn't disable brains completely. No one gets killed because of headphones only.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3,875 of 6,432

Quote:

I think I would have died laughing on the inside......then went in side and chuckled silently.

also let a friend listen to mine reaction*granted this was after he bought my XB-700*
"sound good, not enough bass, maybe that sound better out of a computer"   HFI-580 out of an itouch......on cage the elephant-soil to sun*not bassy song*

Hey I sold my XB700 to a friend after upgrading to a pair of P5 can's

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3,876 of 6,432

Quote:
 Wore the 325i out a few times but decided that was an exercise in madness, even I have some restraint!

I find that leakage (out) with the SR80i is not quite as bad as the 325i which tends to act as a passive
 mobile speaker on the go, but in general I just accept the ambient noise around me, crossing a busy
 street - traffic noise becomes part of the mix on my track selection.

My M50's have caught me out a few times - not sure I would want more isolation than that myself
 for the safety reasons that others have pointed out eg, something like the Ultrasone Signature Pro
 could be as dangerous as a custom IEM for me. Get caught up in the music...and bang!

Well, all grados are not meant to isolate at all, they are designed to use at home or quiet places

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #3,877 of 6,432

Quote:

You wear Grados outside?
biggrin.gif

I wore my RS2 outside recently, walking around town, I actually quite enjoy the feeling of having ambient noise around you, the music suddenly seems to be "bigger". 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,878 of 6,432

Häkkinen, Raïkönen, Rosberg.... finnish drivers are the worst!

If that was an insult, that didn't work. Häkkinen is the only somewhat decent F1 driver from Finland. Räikkönen sucks and Rosberg is just a wannabe-finn. = / It's really hard to have pride in being finnish. xD

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3,879 of 6,432

Quote:

If that was an insult, that didn't work. Häkkinen is the only somewhat decent F1 driver from Finland. Räikkönen sucks and Rosberg is just a wannabe-finn. = / It's really hard to have pride in being finnish. xD

Raikkonen's WDC win disagrees with you. Shame he's with a middle of the pack team this coming season. 

18K rpms sound great with headphones. 

EDIT: I would also call Hakkinen more than "somewhat decent". Schumacher said that Mika was the only driver he really feared. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,882 of 6,432
I was told I over-spent; it's overrated; they haven't even heard of it so it's bad; Beats are the best of all time; sennheiser is no. 2 because they've heard of it; they're DJs (barely) so they know what they're talking about, etc.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3,884 of 6,432

Quote:
You sure that's not just you turning up the volume to dangerous levels?
blink.gif

Whenever I'm outside, I rather turn it down and let the ambient noise come in. Call me crazy, I actually tried with my 701 on the road once, the soundstage of the headphone starts to do funny things to your mind when mixing with different noises coming from various locations. And I guess if you're in a really noisy environment, it probably won't work, but the place I'm living in is rather quiet except the city centre. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3,885 of 6,432

Quote:
Actually, Id say, for safeties sake an open back headphone would  allow your to hear anything like a train or car approaching, and save your life, its not really funny, but very sad when you hear about someone getting run over and killed wearing headphones. I chimed in because I'm a Grado fan and even around the house, if the phone is ringing, or someones pounding on my door, I faintly hear them and can respond. But my opinion is biased from my work on the railroad, and that job is safety intense, and guys still get killed not paying attention to they're surroundings. Cheers and happy listening :)

You make a lot of sense my friend i use to work in a big shop and it was always SAFETY FIRST and i guess this way of working becomes a way of life as i ride motorcycles also so i guess its sticks with you because you are always aware of your surroundings, so safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back