Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,781 of 6,432
Im showed a girl i know my Shure 940.  She just said they weren't that loud while looking confused because everyone knows that good = loud(when running out of a pmp).  She said i was insane for spending $300 on them, i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3,782 of 6,432

Quote:
 Frankly, headphones and music should sound the way the user wants.

That would be wrong. There's standards needed here because every user wants to hear a little different sound. Fun for audiophiles if the average joe that loves his beats would love to have all headphones have at least a 10-15dB boost in bass. :p For them it just sounds appropriate, far from overhelming at all.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #3,783 of 6,432
Quote:
Im showed a girl i know my Shure 940.  She just said they weren't that loud while looking confused because everyone knows that good = loud(when running out of a pmp.  She said i was insane for spending $300 on them, i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.

That's pretty sad. It shows how consumer headphones have such abysmal lowest common denominator sound quality, people don't recognize a need except wanting it "louder" or wanting "moar bass!!!1!!1".

Which makes me think... quality headphones can save your hearing because you don't need to turn the volume up to hear the music better most of the time, which can be something the abysmal dynamic range of cheap headphones encourages.

How loud do people need things? My laptop drives my SRH940 unbearably loud, but the sound quality is just a bit muddier across the spectrum versus a proper amp.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,784 of 6,432

Quote:
i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.

Yea where would she send me for using a Perfect Wave Transport $2000 + Perfect wave DAC $2000, Liquid fire $3200 + LCD-2.2 $995

$8200 spent on a head-fi rig, where do I end up?

The super-looney bin?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3,786 of 6,432

Quote:

That's pretty sad. It shows how consumer headphones have such abysmal lowest common denominator sound quality, people don't recognize a need except wanting it "louder" or wanting "moar bass!!!1!!1".

Agreed. I don't understand why people are like, "Beats are the best, they're SO loud!"

Really... loud? Alright then, how about I destroy your hearing by making my headphones so loud that you'll go deaf? Seems like a plan, since that's what you get by having them "loud".

It also intrigued me when I asked my friend (who was interested in buying Sennheiser IEM's, but not one more than $100) whether I should mod my T50RP's for more bass or more treble. He said bass, of course. Why? "I don't know."

:/

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #3,787 of 6,432

Quote:^ some would argue "yes" :p

Well I get the same reaction when people find out what a Harley Davidson Dresser goes for now a days.

$20,000+

Ai n't no beats or motorscooter that would come close.

After all it is just $ and I can't take it with me.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3,788 of 6,432
Agreed. I don't understand why people are like, "Beats are the best, they're SO loud!"
> Really... loud? Alright then, how about I destroy your hearing by making my headphones so loud that you'll go deaf? Seems like a plan, since that's what you get by having them "loud".

Exactly what I would be thinking. "Oh so you say Beats are the best because they're loud? Hey come over here and try these HD650s (turning full powered hp amp to 80% volume)." Maybe not such a good idea though, that would probably rupture ear drums. But that makes them good, right? :p

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #3,789 of 6,432
My mother was "disappointed" at me because I "wasted my money" on a pair of Ultraonse HFi-780s. I had her try them on and she started laughing at how fantastic they really are.
Mothers approve of Ultrasone haha.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3,790 of 6,432
My wife has no interest in sound quality, but enjoys listening to music.  She always asks me to "turn the noise down" - ugh.  That one gets me.  But now that we have a sonos system she is happy to DJ too.  Give and take.  

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3,791 of 6,432

Quote:
My mother was "disappointed" at me because I "wasted my money" on a pair of Ultraonse HFi-780s. I had her try them on and she started laughing at how fantastic they really are.
Mothers approve of Ultrasone haha.

That tends to happen a lot... until Mom gets to try out what we "wasted our money" on. My mom insisted she didn't need or want a kindle... until my Aunt and Unche got her one for her birthday. Now you can't pry it out of her hand. And her "I don't need a new TV" only lasted as long as it took to hook up her new 40" HDTV I got her for Xmas. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #3,793 of 6,432

Quote:
My roomate thinks that Beats sound better than my HD-650's, which in turn sound better than my K 702's, which in turn he prefers to my HD 800's. All through a Grace m903. Sigh.

Lots and lots of 'burger meal' quality bass ~ it's what some people like 
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3,794 of 6,432
My roomate thinks that Beats sound better than my HD-650's, which in turn sound better than my K 702's, which in turn he prefers to my HD 800's. All through a Grace m903. Sigh.

Have you ever given him extensive time with them? I always say if someone isnt impressed off the hat, give them a night loaded up with their favorite tunes in FLAC and see how they do. Now if he listens to a lot of stuff that is badly recorded then it could lead to that reaction. But I still believe that you dont need to have an absolutely amazing recording to enjoy a good headphone, it just cant be terrible for those higher tier headphones probably. But I wonder if that thought of mine will change come at the end of the month when I get to hear some stax 009, hd800, and many other high tier cans for the first time.

Im so excited >_<, I'll defintely post my reaction here despite it being slightly off topic.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,795 of 6,432
My sister got a Denon AH-310R which she's so proud of. She always smirks at me when she noticed that I'm looking at her. "Yours not as good as mine eh
biggrin.gif
", like that.
Then I bought a Sennheiser eH 350, and let her tried it. "Meh, mine's still sounds better than yours". But the smirks are gone since that day
biggrin.gif
. I noticed mine's only a sub 100$ headphones. But hell, it's one of a gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back