Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3,121 of 6,432

Quote:

My friend bought $20 dollar Beat Solo Fakes, Sounded like absolute crap. The build is flawless though. Even so, I expected just about everyone to tell they were fakes.
Nope.

All of them. Every single person thought they were real.
I wanted to strangle each and every one of them.

Sad, sad world we live in.

I thought it was non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones?

WOOSH

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #3,123 of 6,432
Not like the Solos sound very good to begin with.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3,125 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:
What does he prefer? CDs and vinyl exclusively?

Yes, he feels even the cheapest $10 CD "walkman" sounds way better than any digital music player.  There's just no reaching some folks, I guess.  

That doesn't quite make sense, a CD Walkman IS a digital music player, CD is digital, and most players today play Flac or other lossless formats happily, including the iPod.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3,126 of 6,432

Quote:
That doesn't quite make sense, a CD Walkman IS a digital music player, CD is digital, and most players today play Flac or other lossless formats happily, including the iPod.

It's the final frontier for some ~ many will see little logic in comparing their $900 Cambridge Azur CD transport
 to let's say

a PC + Benchmark DAC1 + head amp and a stack of FLAC and WAV material.

Deep down I think it's just for ease of use for many, no settings, no programs, protocols - just fire up the CD,
 switch the head amp on, plug in the headphone and go!

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #3,127 of 6,432

Quote:

I used the term digital music player as a reference to a compressed file music player, just to be clear.  The guy in question maintains that he can hear the compression even in lossless formats, and that's enough for him to reject the technology outright.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3,129 of 6,432
I'm getting the impression based off of recent posts in this thread that most young head-fiers are techno/electronic/trance/dubstep geeks.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #3,131 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:

It's the final frontier for some ~ many will see little logic in comparing their $900 Cambridge Azur CD transport
 to let's say

a PC + Benchmark DAC1 + head amp and a stack of FLAC and WAV material.

Deep down I think it's just for ease of use for many, no settings, no programs, protocols - just fire up the CD,
 switch the head amp on, plug in the headphone and go!

You mean wasting time searching for the CD in question, remembering whether the symphony you looked for was in the Beethoven or the Schubert section, because the album had two symphonies on it and finally remembering a friend borrowed it
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I used the term digital music player as a reference to a compressed file music player, just to be clear.  The guy in question maintains that he can hear the compression even in lossless formats, and that's enough for him to reject the technology outright.

Don't laugh, I switched randomly between a wav and flac track, and I could identify both of them with a 100% reliability in foobar2000. (Did I mention that I had the playlist right in front of my eyes? :wink: )

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #3,132 of 6,432
I think this discussion was had on this thread before, but there should be no difference between WAV and FLAC unless one of them is faulty or your media player is faulty. No exceptions period.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,133 of 6,432
Quote:
I think this discussion was had on this thread before, but there should be no difference between WAV and FLAC unless one of them is faulty or your media player is faulty. No exceptions period.

You missed the part that was written in WHITE.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3,134 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm getting the impression based off of recent posts in this thread that most young head-fiers are techno/electronic/trance/dubstep geeks.

I think it's partially because in my opinion it's gotten so much more mainstream in the past couple years. Not saying that has really huge effect on Head-fiers since we mostly likely listen to a lot less mainstream music than the general public, but it for sure adds to the overall listening population especially with newer members. I can't get enough electronic as of late with all the good tracks coming out but I've gone through a ton of phases where I would only listen to one genre. Now I'm pretty open to anything though as in I won't frown upon other people for listening to music I don't like and stuff like that or saying that one genre sucks. Lets be honest too, even if you do dislike a genre there has to be at least one song you like I'm sure from within that genre of music. I'll listen to almost anything sans a few genres here and there. I like alternative, classic rock, rap, hip hop, pop, dubstep, house (and all it's subgenres, electro, progressive, etc) and probably a load of other stuff I'm leaving out. I am confident in saying this genreation is getting pretty electronic for the reason I stated above. It's getting more popular among mainstream society, with everyone and it gets more widely accepted at the same time. I remember, I'd say the starting of grade 12 for me which was last year I was the only one who knew about dubstep at my school (little late to the game) except for the friend I made who moved from BC (makes sense, big following there) and by the end of the year everyone knew who Skrillex was, he was being played on the radio in KoRn tracks. It wasn't just Skrillex either, so many people know who Excision is, who Datsik is, etc. Even my parents like dubstep and house, they are 43 and 47. Electronic music now a days is getting more complex and is drawing bigger and bigger crowds of all ages. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,135 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm an old fart and use audiophile gear to listen to Darkthrone, Entombed and Turbonegro.  Don't know if I should laugh or cry...

Don't mind me. Just sitting here listening to my metal music like a badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back