Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #3,091 of 6,432

Quote:
I honestly have no idea where you get this idea. When a song has bass it has bass. When a song doesn't have bass there is no bass. It has the same bass as my iphone, fiio e7, onboard audio, ipod touch etc. I'm afraid you may have gotten the placebo bug. It's ok. If you are satisfied that way then enjoy it. I just fail to hear the so called differences you are reporting.

Yea, I was all ways thinking the same, until I heard my MacBook Pro. I guess it's a matter of opinion, I don't really want to start this into a thread for debate. But this really is not a case of placebo, I honestly was thinking about buying a RSA SR-71B for my SRH-840's until I got my laptop and was like wow I didn't just have to spend $700. But yea I guess people hear different things.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3,092 of 6,432

Quote:

This in the end is not even about audio products its about the music. The recordings of popular music is horrendous, but thats because people don't care, they know they are listening out of iBuds and laptop speakers, by allowing people to listen on better quality equipment, the recordings will have to follow suite and hopefully get better as well. 

I don't see it that way. All the pop that I've listened to sounds very clean, probably because it's mostly electronic.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,093 of 6,432

Quote:

Here's another cracking story from down in Melbourne,

Couple walked into my local audio store and started to shuffle back and forth quietly between the Shure IEM stand and the rack where the amps
and DAC's are held, one of the main customer service guys down there asked them if they needed any help, the guy turned around, glared and then
just turned around again to fiddle with the IEM's.

10 minutes or so passed as I sat there at the table auditioning the new Cambridge DacMagic Plus, eventually they got talking to another guy
there who'd popped in for an SPDIF cable- they chatted away quietly and no one else in the store was any the wiser. 5 minutes on, they just
up and left without saying a word.

The guy who was SPDIF shopping said openly to the room

'Oh yeh they were looking at either the $529AUD ALO Continental Tube Portable Amp or $598AUD Furutech ADL Portable Amp for
his Monster Beats Studios and her Bose QC15's"

smile.gif

Panel 4:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=275

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #3,095 of 6,432
I let a well known iPod hater listen with my Phiaton MS400s.  He got this blank expression on his face and said well, that's the best I've heard an iPod sound.  He still hates everything even remotely MP3 oriented, though.  Darn, I thought I'd made a convert. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #3,097 of 6,432

Quote:
Digitalism is electronic (I think), yet their recordings sound horrible... 

Digitalisms first album wasn't bad actually, their second was not that good in terms of recording. I heard the new Justice album on a set of Magnepan Speakers, and you could instantly tell how bad the recording was.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #3,098 of 6,432

Quote:
Digitalisms first album wasn't bad actually, their second was not that good in terms of recording. I heard the new Justice album on a set of Magnepan Speakers, and you could instantly tell how bad the recording was.

As much as it pains me to say ~ Daft Punk's 'Homework' but especially 'Discovery' are not that crash hot either 
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3,099 of 6,432

Quote:
When you used the E7 connecting to laptop/pc, did you used foobar w/ wasapi to play your songs? To me the bypassing nailed the sound improvement.

Bingo.  By doing this, I feel that I finally unlocked the potential of the E7 and will be able to fully utilize any future dac upgrades.  Bcasey, if you haven't tried this yet I would strongly suggest trying it out.  I'm almost certain you'll be pleasantly surprised by the result.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #3,100 of 6,432
Could you tell how bad the album was, too? 
wink.gif

Quote:

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #3,101 of 6,432

Quote:
 As much as it pains me to say ~ Daft Punk's 'Homework' but especially 'Discovery' are not that crash hot either 
frown.gif

I want to agree with you at the same time not really. Homework for sure wasn't recorded amazingly, it was done using some mediocre technology, but that adds to the charm of the album a bit, but it is no means state of the art. Discovery on the other hand, I thought was good, except for maybe a few songs which were heavily auto tuned and compressed. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #3,102 of 6,432

Quote:
Could you tell how bad the album was, too? 
wink.gif

I thought it was decent, but Cross was much better. And Swatcsi is right, the recording wasn't too great.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #3,103 of 6,432
I had a discussion about this with a friend recently. The new album went more the D.A.N.C.E. route than the Genesis route...and I loathed DANCE. That's just me though.

Quote:
I thought it was decent, but Cross was much better. And Swatcsi is right, the recording wasn't too great.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #3,104 of 6,432
frown.gif

Funny, when i started listening to my M50s for the first time, i popped in some one more time by daft punk. The bass sounded muffed up and the rest of it kinda just had a lifeless sound to it. I thought maybe it was just burn in needed but here i am now, same thing.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3,105 of 6,432

Quote:
Funny, when i started listening to my M50s for the first time, i popped in some one more time by daft punk. The bass sounded muffed up and the rest of it kinda just had a lifeless sound to it. I thought maybe it was just burn in needed but here i am now, same thing.

'Veridis Quo' is the best sounding track for me on 'Discovery' - 'Crescendolls' is ok too through the M50's.

Definitely an album that raises a question mark between a 256kbps rip and full *.WAV

I would not want to sit that blind test. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back